• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dj_justice

Aug 29, 2011
    I am looking at buying a cheap shotgun for occasional trap shooting and home defense. I was looking at the mossberg maverick 88 or mossberg 500. Is dicks sporting goods a good store to buy from? I know walmart sells the maverick for $200 but Id rather not buy from them.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Dick's is fine, you can also order from their catalog. One problem though, the HD models you mention are fine for HD, not so much for Trap. It is a lot to ask for one gun to do both well. You may want to look into a 2 barrel combo set, that will get you started and do each. Check out Mossberg's website for their combo's then go to Dick's for a price.

Good Luck, Happy Shopping!

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Not to mention that most trap ranges don't allow short HD bbls. Buy a gun designed for what you will use it the most for.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Walmart in fallston and aberdeeb have shot guns at great prices. Last time i was there they had a mossberg 500 in wood for 249. A pardner for 180 in 12g. And carious others.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Why does everyone think a place called "Dick's" would be a good store to do business with?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have bought several guns there. They have comparable prices to Wal Mart and with the right sale sometimes better. Their selection is way better than Wally's and they can depending on who is working the counter help install acessories.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Well, be prepared to spend a lot of time there. It's always taken me forever. If you want a Mossberg for trap and defense, look on Gunbroker, or elsewhere for a Mossberg combo. I got mine fairly cheap, and it comes with a 18" home defense barrel and a 28" ribbed barrel. They come with fixed or screw in chokes depending on what model you have. It's like 2 guns in one. Worth the little extra money for the combo in my opinion if you are going to sport shoot.

nonlinear

Aug 8, 2011
    Why does everyone think a place called "Dick's" would be a good store to do business with?

Anyone else remember the dicks.com domain before Dick's finally acquired it from the previous owner? They sold, ahem, a different sort of equipment. I found that out the hard way. Thankfully I visited that website on my home computer and not at work!

To answer the OP, I bought my 10/22 there and it was fine. A bit slow with the paperwork since they had to call out a manager to do a final review, and then they had to walk me outside of the store. That was stupid but at least I got the rifle I wanted at the price I wanted.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Anyone else remember the dicks.com domain before Dick's finally acquired it from the previous owner? They sold, ahem, a different sort of equipment. I found that out the hard way. Thankfully I visited that website on my home computer and not at work!

My (at the time) teenaged daughter was looking for soccer goal keeper gloves and someone told her to try dicks.com. All I remember was a loud "eeew gross" before I got to the computer. Fortunately no intensive counseling was necessary.

...and then they had to walk me outside of the store. That was stupid but at least I got the rifle I wanted at the price I wanted.

Bass Pro at Arundel Mills walked me out with my Remmy 870 just a couple of months ago. I felt so loved...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Anyone else remember the dicks.com domain before Dick's finally acquired it from the previous owner? They sold, ahem, a different sort of equipment. I found that out the hard way.

Heeeee, heeeee, he said said he found out the hard way.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    A few weeks ago Dicks had a grand opening sale for the new store in Southern MD. iirc, for every $300 spent you got $100 off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom