• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Well the new Dick's opened in Bel Air about a half mile from the old location. Apparently they removed all guns, fishing equipment, and camping supplies. As I never really went un the old store much in recent years, I surely have no reason to EVER set foot in the new store. This new look is likely coming to a Dicks near you in the near future.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I was told by the lady that works the gun counter at the Frederick Dicks that if they ever move or expand they have to get rid of their hunting/shooting gear. Thought she said it was a corporate policy.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I haven't been in the Westminster Dicks Sporting Goods in years. I wonder if they still have guns? I'll have to stop in and see one day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Despite the founder be a hardcore Fishing/ Hunting guy , who started a legit Fishing/ Hunting store , the current generation and corporate board don't care , they're just about the $ .

Clothing , shoes , and ball and stick sports gear has more net revenue per sq foot than guns , or fishing rods , or tents.

Ever since 2018 - ish they've been roll back gun/ Hunting departments , and often as not skipping them in new locations .

And it works for them .

The clothing or whatever takes the floor space that guns would have gives same or more profit / sq ft . And 2A supporters who boycott are offset by anti gun soccer moms who don't like us

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Despite the founder be a hardcore Fishing/ Hunting guy , who started a legit Fishing/ Hunting store , the current generation and corporate board don't care , they're just about the $ .

Clothing , shoes , and ball and stick sports gear has more net revenue per sq foot than guns , or fishing rods , or tents.

Ever since 2018 - ish they've been roll back gun/ Hunting departments , and often as not skipping them in new locations .

And it works for them .

The clothing or whatever takes the floor space that guns would have gives same or more profit / sq ft . And 2A supporters who boycott are offset by anti gun soccer moms who don't like us

****Dick's Sporting Goods has grown so much overall since about 2015 that they now have a market cap and value that is *much* higher than Smith & Wesson, and Ruger combined - they passed that landmark a long time ago already.

They've gone woke for sure, but are not anywhere near going broke and could buy the two biggest publically traded firearm manufacturers outright. Dick's has only been around since the 1950's I think and they have over 700 stores in the US now, and are expanding. They are very well managed, *very* profitable, and have only gotten bigger since rolling back their gun/hunting departments and completely eliminating them in almost all new stores.

2A supporters, at least in terms of value to Dick's Sporting Goods are not even a rounding error to them at this point and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I don't shop there but do own their stock and it has done very well, has a generous dividend, and has provided much better returns than any publically traded firearms manufacturer, which I also own (mostly S&W, and Ruger Firearms)

Data below:

Screenshot 2023-07-21 235406.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 235433.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 235454.png

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Eh . Gun Companies as a class are small change compared to retailers as a class .

It's been ( mumble . mumble ) years since I semi seriously played with stocks . But did well from SWHC at the time .

Occasionally , I will go to the Aptly Named Dicks , but it's only once or twice a year . Equal split between a piece of outdoor gear , or some gun cleaning stuff or accessory , and not going to Fred's Overpriced Sports .

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    ****Dick's Sporting Goods has grown so much overall since about 2015 that they now have a market cap and value that is *much* higher than Smith & Wesson, and Ruger combined - they passed that landmark a long time ago already.

They've gone woke for sure, but are not anywhere near going broke and could buy the two biggest publically traded firearm manufacturers outright. Dick's has only been around since the 1950's I think and they have over 700 stores in the US now, and are expanding. They are very well managed, *very* profitable, and have only gotten bigger since rolling back their gun/hunting departments and completely eliminating them in almost all new stores.

2A supporters, at least in terms of value to Dick's Sporting Goods are not even a rounding error to them at this point and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I don't shop there but do own their stock and it has done very well, has a generous dividend, and has provided much better returns than any publically traded firearms manufacturer, which I also own (mostly S&W, and Ruger Firearms)

Data below:

View attachment 423479
    View attachment 423480
    View attachment 423481
    That all may be the case, but I refuse to support them. Maybe 10 percent of the floor space in the old store was devoted to hunting/ fishing. I seriously doubt eliminating that will increase their sales that much. Especially in a a fairly affluent and populated area like Harford County that also has a significant amount of rural and farm land for shooting and hunting and the Susquehanna River and Chesapeake bay for fishing. When you consider there are no other large outdoor retailers anywhere in the county or within an hour drive it seems they are completely cutting off what is already an under served customer base. Its just political posturing in an increasingly woke world. I know they wont miss my money, but that doesnt mean Im going to just cave in and give it to them anyway. They are going to do what they want, I cant change that. I do feel better personally at least, knowing I wont be supporting them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And by the same token , they can write off ( 15% of ) Hartford County's patronage , and not notice either .

In the department of Things I said 20-30 years ago coming true :

As big box stores put Local Gun Stores out of business , it puts ( real time , in person ) access to guns and ammunition into a handful of sources., which then become easy to shut down en masse , leaving gun desserts . ( Or at least make it small time for insiders , and mostly invisible to the general public )

Sears , and Wards , gone . Western Auto hangs on , but business model changed ( used to be largest gun retailer in the country).

K Mart de- gunned . ( Used to be largest gun retailer in the country)

Sports Authority de- gunned .
    Herman's de- gunned

Wal Mart used to be notorious , that whenever a location opened , at least half of gun stores in 20 mile radius went bankrupt and closed . And today ... Lots of locations de- gunned , and the remaining a small fraction of themselves . W-M used to sell 20% of all retail ammunition . Now less than 3% .

Say what you want about them , but BPS is last , biggest remaining , big box gun and ammo seller , and they have blinked , and started running down the apeasememt road .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom