• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    OK....I'm at my wits end trying to figure this problem out on my 10/22.

This is my tricked out hole puncher and it's as accurate as can be and is almost boring at 100 yards.

The problem is that it just won't run right. At least one a magazine, I get a case as shown in the two pictures below.

Never happens on the first shot. With either example.

With example 1, the case does not make it out of the action and gets wedged in there somewhere. The gun strips off the next round and then the gun jams. It does cycle enough to cock the hammer.

I drop the mag, lock the bolt back and both the fired (crushed) case as well as the unspent cartridge drop out and I go on my way. You can hopefully see in my crappy pictures that the cases seem to be mangled the same way for the most part.

Example two, it cycles out of the action after firing and the next round is stripped off. The hammer seems to reset and when I pull the trigger, the next round does not fire. If I pull the bolt back, the round stays in the chamber and will not extract. However if I pull the trigger, it fires and ejects normally.

I've cleaned it. It has a PC extractor in it.

The barrel is an Adams and Bennett aftermarket.

It has an aftermarket buffer in it.

Attachments

• DSC02612.jpg
      DSC02612.jpg
      13.4 KB · Views: 438
    • DSC02613.jpg
      DSC02613.jpg
      7.2 KB · Views: 432

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    What kind of ammo are you shooting Norton? I've noticed that when I'm shooting lower quality (read bulk pack) ammo, sometimes I have this happen in my M&P 15.

If I am shooting suppressed without hearing protection, I can hear major velocity differences with lower quality ammo. I think that this may be at least part of your problem. There's enough power to open the bolt enough to pick up a new round, but not enough to send the bolt all the way back and eject the spent case with any kind of force.

I have gone almost exclusively to CCI mini-mags and standard velocity for plinking. I did order 2 bricks of the new Gemtech .22. They used CCI SV as the standard to improve on when developing it.

Hope this helps.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What kind of ammo are you shooting Norton?

Only ever had Aguila Match Rifle put through it. I've run the bulk pack stuff through it before and it hates it.

I'm wondering if the spring is worn out and the bolt is slapping the buffer and coming back too fast? That seems logical, but the gun just doesn't have that many rounds through it.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    When mine gets dirty(after a few hundred rounds) it starts jamming and stovepiping a lot, could also be the ammo or maybe even the magazine.
    I'd say try cleaning it or add a drop or two of oil to the action especially if it's dirty at all in there.
    If that doesn't work try different kinds of ammo or different kinds of magazines.
    CCI mini-mag ammo is some of the best I've tried for my 10/22.
    Also Federal "Auto Match" bulk packs. Good luck!

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Using the factory mags.

So....you think put the factory pin back in there?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    sounds like an extractor and or extractor spring problem... the extractor might be hanging up...aguila ammo isnt the cleanest stuff either...it might shoot great but the powder is VERY dirty...i cant say for all but for a lot of it...can you take a pick of the bolt face? ive never had a problem with the buffer...ive shot thousands of rounds...through my 10/22's...dirty moving parts and bad magazines/ammo was my only misfires...basically no mechanical failures...accessories caused my FTF, failed to eject or fail to fire...

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I like aguila ammo, but it is Eley primed (crushed glass mix) when I've used it. I have to disassemble my 10/22 bolt and clean the thing in detail every few thousand rounds. it happens. I've polished up my extractor and plunger just on principle, as well as the bolt face.

As to your problem, Norton, unless the gun is VERY old, I doubt your spring is shot. I've never needed to replace one yet. I'm lousy with written description of malfunctions, but if I had to call it based on what i read, i'm going with extractor.

Ruger had a rash of extractor issues in the Mark IIIs a while back, but I never looked into the 10/22 to see if they had similar problems. The Mark IIIs exhibited similar symptoms to what you describe, which got better as you used hotter ammo (in a blowback gun, the hotter loadings make the extractor less important--for instance, you can even get some blowback guns to run without extractors, albeit poorly).

Ammo quality cannot be ruled out. The aguila is usually consistent if dirty ammo. I mostly use CCI in my guns (SSS out of one of my suppressed bolt guns, though, and its DIRTY). I would try switching ammo, and then move into diagnosing failure parts.

my instinct is to go with wilcam47 on extractor issue, though. Ejectors in 10/22s are basically fixed pieces and unless bent or broken (obvious) they tend to work.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I like aguila ammo, but it is Eley primed (crushed glass mix) when I've used it. I have to disassemble my 10/22 bolt and clean the thing in detail every few thousand rounds. it happens. I've polished up my extractor and plunger just on principle, as well as the bolt face.

As to your problem, Norton, unless the gun is VERY old, I doubt your spring is shot. I've never needed to replace one yet. I'm lousy with written description of malfunctions, but if I had to call it based on what i read, i'm going with extractor.

Ruger had a rash of extractor issues in the Mark IIIs a while back, but I never looked into the 10/22 to see if they had similar problems. The Mark IIIs exhibited similar symptoms to what you describe, which got better as you used hotter ammo (in a blowback gun, the hotter loadings make the extractor less important--for instance, you can even get some blowback guns to run without extractors, albeit poorly).

Ammo quality cannot be ruled out. The aguila is usually consistent if dirty ammo. I mostly use CCI in my guns (SSS out of one of my suppressed bolt guns, though, and its DIRTY). I would try switching ammo, and then move into diagnosing failure parts.

my instinct is to go with wilcam47 on extractor issue, though. Ejectors in 10/22s are basically fixed pieces and unless bent or broken (obvious) they tend to work.
    could be some brass shavings/grime hanging up in the ejector/spring area on the bolt as well

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

ive never replaced a spring or extractor on the bolt...not to say it couldnt wear out...
    could be some brass shavings/grime hanging up in the ejector/spring area on the bolt as well

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    i haven't seen much in the way of brass shavings in my 22's but that is mostly due to my habit of shooting standard vel or subsonic CCI I think. a lot of the bulk stuff does have bits and pieces of brass in with it just when you handle it in the box, ever mind what you might get firing it.....

the extractor area in the 10/22 is mostly external and more resistant than most 22s to accumulating $hit, but still does. I dismantle and clean as noted above. another thing to check is (with bolt removed from gun, preferably with firing pin out) how the round sits on the bolt face. is it being gripped properly by the extractor? is teh bolt face itself flat and smooth?

remove the trigger housing and inspect the ejector for any untoward accumulations of $hit (as wilcam mentions), then be sure the part itself is free of any burrs. I've never come across a ruger 22 with a burred or factory-defective ejector, but it IS possible.

i'm still betting that a diet of better ammo and/or some extractor cleanup/tuning is the way to go.

the g/f shoots a lot of bulk stuff and i've explained that the price of that is the odd jam or misfire or other problems. No such thing as a free lunch.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Guess I'll get some Wolf or SK match ammo and see how that runs in it. Kills me to switch ammo because this one is so blasted accurate with the Aguila.

The extractor is the PC upgrade and it made no difference in the problem.

I'll disassemble the whole bolt and see how it works with the different ammo.

ITG

Jan 26, 2011
    Frederick County
    I agree with the others above, take a close look at the extractor. It's cheap enough that I would just get one and swap it to see if its the problem.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Maybe try thoroughly cleaning the chamber too with a wire brush, a dirty chamber seems to have caused extraction problems for me in the past. To test this put a spent .22lr casing in the chamber and if it won't easily go in all the way or it won't easily come out, that might be an issue.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I have the same exact problem with my 10/22 with Adams and Bennet heavy barrel. I too tried to replace the extractor with a Custom Power one but it didn't do anything. I've tried pretty much every ammo out there with the same problems. Sucks because the damn rifle is so accurate with my Boyds stock on it but having to drop the mag and cycle the bolt randomly takes the fun out of shooting a semi-auto .22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom