• ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Defensive Gun Use at North Charleston Waffle House

TL;DR
    19-year old attempts an armed robbery of a Waffle House.
    CCW holder wasn't having it and fatally wounded the perp.
    No one else harmed.

A restaurant employee expressed gratitude for the customer’s action.

“He saved us, that’s what he did.”

Said an officer at the scene: “It says something about firearms ... for good people with firearms being in the right hands.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...s-robbery-at-waffle-house-in-north-charleston

The article goes on to say that charges are not being considered against the CCW holder at this time. :thumbsup:

Wonder how Waffle House execs feel about guns being legally carried into their stores now?

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Great example of why the Waffle House policy (and others) is wrong... they should simply follow the laws of the state they are in. Glad it turned out right.

I hesitate to start what might be a threadjack, but for LEOs, what is the CCW's proper behavior when authorities arrive?

If I were in my home and had to use a firearm, I would unload, lock open, and place it somewhere on a table before they came in. But in a public place, it doesn't sound like a good idea to lay your firearm on a restaurant table before they are there (you are no longer in control of it), and I wouldn't want to be handling it AS they arrive. Reholster before they get there, place hands on head, allow them to disarm you? :shrug:

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Be real vocal and don't look like a threat. Stay on the line with 911 and make sure that they are well informed. In a place like that a witness should also confirm what happened. Hopefully responding units will have been advised as to what has happened but act like they don't have a clue. Write a statement then go home clean your weapon and have a cold one.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena

Defensive Gun Use, I assume.

In a public place, if the threat is stopped, I would reholster while waiting for the cavalry to arrive, then identify myself as the shooter and advise them that I was still armed as soon as they got there - while keeping my hands in plain view.

-Rob

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena

In a public place, if the threat is stopped, I would reholster while waiting for the cavalry to arrive, then identify myself as the shooter and advise them that I was still armed as soon as they got there - while keeping my hands in plain view.

Also - screw Waffle House. Why any good gun owner would eat there is beyond me.

-Rob

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012

Also - screw Waffle House. Why any good gun owner would eat there is beyond me.

-Rob

Never identify yourself as "the shooter"

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A black guy, a Mexican and a white guy walk into a Waffle House...

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    It got me when I first saw it, too.

It's one reason SNI put this together...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=122422

She's a peach for doing that and I applaud and thank her.

Not every phrase in the English language or 2A "lingo" needs or deserves an acronym. Acronyms need to be in common use and understanding to be helpful in communications, or they defeat the purpose and are actually an impediment to communications. Maybe I'm just dumb, but "DGU" seems like a stretch to me. How about, "self defense" or "defense of others" with a gun, which is more descriptive and immediately understood by everybody? jmho.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    She's a peach for doing that and I applaud and thank her.

Not every phrase in the English language or 2A "lingo" needs or deserves an acronym. Acronyms need to be in common use and understanding to be helpful in communications, or they defeat the purpose and are actually an impediment to communications. Maybe I'm just dumb, but "DGU" seems like a stretch to me. How about, "self defense" or "defense of others" with a gun, which is more descriptive and immediately understood by everybody? jmho.

How about just taking that extra 3/4 of a second and typing out what it is you are trying to say...? it's a chat board... not the military. :shrug:

Not trying to be Mr. Cranky-pants... it's just "common sense"... :D

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    DGU has been used on pretty much every gun-related blog, news, and commentary site I've ever seen. It's even been used here on this forum -- and even explained before. Bearing arms, the truth about guns, the firearm blog, the bang switch, guns save lives, etc... all use that term. If you're not visiting one of those sites every now and then for news and knowledge, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Google and bing are free and always on, btw ;)

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    How about just taking that extra 3/4 of a second and typing out what it is you are trying to say...? it's a chat board... not the military. :shrug:

Not trying to be Mr. Cranky-pants... it's just "common sense"... :D

Exactly. I agree 100%.

Ironically, the OP's link with important news will never be read by many, because the thread will be skipped over. Who knows what "DGU" means, or its relevance?

That's why newspapers and other media have headline writers. Headlines matter.

#headlinesmatter

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    DGU has been used on pretty much every gun-related blog, news, and commentary site I've ever seen. It's even been used here on this forum -- and even explained before. Bearing arms, the truth about guns, the firearm blog, the bang switch, guns save lives, etc... all use that term. If you're not visiting one of those sites every now and then for news and knowledge, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Google and bing are free and always on, btw ;)

Well, not only do a lot of people not know it, but it does a discredit to the 2A community in countering the antis' arguments when people don't even realize there's been a valid use of a firearm because it was hidden under the acronym "DGU."

While the anti's wail daily about how people are more likely to be shot with their own gun during an altercation, what good does it do for the cause when a heroic use never comes to light because the community hides it as a "DGU" that nobody knows?

It ought to be shouted from the highest mountain for everybody to hear and know about. Jeez, some of this stuff is public relations 101.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I read many gun blogs, get newsletters, and frequent more than a few forums.

Never heard that acronym before.

just pointing that out.

ETA-Kudos to SNI for the list. I had to go look it up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom