• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    In the context of competition, good advice but ultimately unhelpful.

You should 100% be counting your shots. And not shooting to slide lock in uspsa. And idpa sucks, for other reasons, but one is that my grip keeps my CZ from going to slide lock anyway. My left thumb rides on the lever.

You can now reload in IDPA with out going to slide lock, if that makes you want to try it again. lol I know probably not.

The mag still needs to be empty to drop it, but a round can be in the chamber.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I don't really know how I can tell the slide's locked back but it's pretty rare that I don't notice it. May be due to the fact that a good percentage of the pistol's weight is now further back but my guess is it's the recoil pulse, it just feels different. I've never spent time trying to develop this but I can almost always feel it. I always get a chuckle seeing my friends working on sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze, then....nothing.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You can now reload in IDPA with out going to slide lock, if that makes you want to try it again. lol I know probably not.

The mag still needs to be empty to drop it, but a round can be in the chamber.
    well, that's retarded. if you count wrong (and have 1+ in the mag), 5 seconds (or perhaps more) is added to your score?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    well, that's retarded. if you count wrong (and have 1+ in the mag), 5 seconds (or perhaps more) is added to your score?
    One of many reasons (including an absolute a$$bag of a match director) that I won't even attend an idpa match. Shoot outlaw. It is the way.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020

3 second penalty. So you have to be sure of what you're doing.

Way more thinking in IDPA, and mathing while running a stage. In this aspect uspsa is so much simpler.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    3 second penalty. So you have to be sure of what you're doing.

Way more thinking in IDPA, and mathing while running a stage. In this aspect uspsa is so much simpler.
    Idpa stages should all be hit blind with limited brief that only includes information that the shooter would realistically have at the time of initiation. But then gamers would have way more trouble gaming.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    Idpa stages should all be hit blind with limited brief that only includes information that the shooter would realistically have at the time of initiation. But then gamers would have way more trouble gaming.

I've done stages like that and while it can be fun and interesting it's not something you can duplicate fairly to ensure competitive equity. Ultimately it is a competition.

The stages I've shot like this, you end up with who ever the RO is getting to see the stage giving him a advantage. The vary first shooter is basically flying blind. But if you pay attention while he's shooting you'll get a idea of the round count, number of positions, where the reload is and approximate location of positions etc. Of course someone will try to look under the wall a little to gain a edge. There is also the problem of resetting the stage when no one is allowed to see it.

Allowing people to see the stages makes it a level playing field and is much easier to run. And even letting people see the stage they'll still mess things up and forget stuff. Especially when you get into big 32 round courses in USPSA.

To make the game realistic you'd have to sap most of the fun out of it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I've done stages like that and while it can be fun and interesting it's not something you can duplicate fairly to ensure competitive equity. Ultimately it is a competition.

The stages I've shot like this, you end up with who ever the RO is getting to see the stage giving him a advantage. The vary first shooter is basically flying blind. But if you pay attention while he's shooting you'll get a idea of the round count, number of positions, where the reload is and approximate location of positions etc. Of course someone will try to look under the wall a little to gain a edge. There is also the problem of resetting the stage when no one is allowed to see it.

Allowing people to see the stages makes it a level playing field and is much easier to run. And even letting people see the stage they'll still mess things up and forget stuff. Especially when you get into big 32 round courses in USPSA.

To make the game realistic you'd have to sap most of the fun out of it.
    Or, have as many stages as you have sqad members, and rotate who goes first. That would level it out some.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    Or, have as many stages as you have sqad members, and rotate who goes first. That would level it out some.

It can be done, but it's a lot more effort and it'll only work as well as your shooters want it to. At the end of the day, it's still just a skill test and the same people will win that always do because they're better shooters.

It is a fun thing to do from time to time to mix things up.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It can be done, but it's a lot more effort and it'll only work as well as your shooters want it to. At the end of the day, it's still just a skill test and the same people will win that always do because they're better shooters.

It is a fun thing to do from time to time to mix things up.
    Very challenging to do well but can be done. Usually only seen at staffed matches. I don't have any interest in idpa matches anymore after some really bad experiences with turds and the organization refusing to flush them. Uspsa doesn't really attract me either. Outlaw steel or outlaw two gun are interesting. The second there's a national structure, the number of toolboxes at a match goes up exponentially.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is why I only shoot prone…and blindfolded.

I’m banned from every range. They hate me cause they ain’t me.
    As long as your pants are on why would they even care? Some range officers seem so sensitive these days.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is interesting cause I almost never miss that I have shot the last round from a semi auto with LRHO.
    That being said, I shoot at an outdoor and seldom indoor range. Hearing protection and not under the stress one would have with an active shoot situation. I have no idea if I"m keying on the feel or the sound. Maybe both. If I did not have ear pro, I"m sure the sound changes and would I then be able to tell w/o looking? Seems like one would need to not only shoot more, but shoot more where others are also shooting. Obviously, its not going to be good to train w/o ear pro.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    As long as your pants are on why would they even care? Some range officers seem so sensitive these days.
    ad87e0b713f2afcc8111eb2cafe7f7fd.jpg

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    Very challenging to do well but can be done. Usually only seen at staffed matches. I don't have any interest in idpa matches anymore after some really bad experiences with turds and the organization refusing to flush them. Uspsa doesn't really attract me either. Outlaw steel or outlaw two gun are interesting. The second there's a national structure, the number of toolboxes at a match goes up exponentially.

I'm the opposite, I have no real interest in outlaw. I do some just for fun but without a solid rule set I'm not interested in taking it seriously. Shooting IDPA or USPSA I know can travel all over and shoot matches and basically know the rules. IDPA can get a little tricky with rule enforcement.

The biggest benefit to uspsa is that's where the best shooters in the world are, so the easiest way to see where you stand is shoot against them in a match.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The last straw for me was idpa refusing to strip an MD of title who wouldn't abide by quoted and presented rule book. I was shooting my carry rig, IWB custom leather holster with a 4.25" 1911 in .45. the toolbox said I had to have an owb hip holster and own mag carriers. Rulebook clearly stated that all iwb holsters were legal. I walked. When idpa wouldn't take action against the MD, I never shot another match and won't. If that's how they view their rulebook, it has less weight than a feather and I have no incentive to play. I even walked on PRS when they banned negative points (kyl, hostage plates, etc). I shoot practical rifle field matches (some call them sniper matches) and outlaw action games. The more blind the match, the better. While it isn't real life, at least there are serious consequences for greasing a no shoot (one I shoot they disqualify you).
    I'm the opposite, I have no real interest in outlaw. I do some just for fun but without a solid rule set I'm not interested in taking it seriously. Shooting IDPA or USPSA I know can travel all over and shoot matches and basically know the rules. IDPA can get a little tricky with rule enforcement.

The biggest benefit to uspsa is that's where the best shooters in the world are, so the easiest way to see where you stand is shoot against them in a match.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    The last straw for me was idpa refusing to strip an MD of title who wouldn't abide by quoted and presented rule book. I was shooting my carry rig, IWB custom leather holster with a 4.25" 1911 in .45. the toolbox said I had to have an owb hip holster and own mag carriers. Rulebook clearly stated that all iwb holsters were legal. I walked. When idpa wouldn't take action against the MD, I never shot another match and won't. If that's how they view their rulebook, it has less weight than a feather and I have no incentive to play. I even walked on PRS when they banned negative points (kyl, hostage plates, etc). I shoot practical rifle field matches (some call them sniper matches) and outlaw action games. The more blind the match, the better. While it isn't real life, at least there are serious consequences for greasing a no shoot (one I shoot they disqualify you).

Typically how the justify that is saying it's a range safety rule. There is a rule in the rule book that clubs can enforce stricter safety rules as long as it's posted so everyone knows before the match. (that's the part usually missed) For example a few clubs say pointing your muzzle over the berm is a DQ. I know of one that does that.

More recently IDPA has ruled AIWB is legal. But as far as I know AAFG is the only range that will actually allow you to do it. Basically the same thing you're talking about. I usually shoot at Bridgeville because it's close to me, but they won't allow AIWB, PCC or serpa holster and it's all posted on Practiscore so it's legal per IDPA for them to do. (I think PCC is basically illegal in DE now anyway)

It still bugs me I must admit. I get it, for basically ever IDPA has been saying AIWB was dangerous and would never be in IDPA. So it's not surprising that long time MD's are still sticking to that.

USPSA has no such rule, clubs can't override the rule book. You either take USPSA as is or you don't have USPSA. If a club tried to say you can't use something that is legal you'd be best to report it to the Area Director.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Typically how the justify that is saying it's a range safety rule. There is a rule in the rule book that clubs can enforce stricter safety rules as long as it's posted so everyone knows before the match. (that's the part usually missed) For example a few clubs say pointing your muzzle over the berm is a DQ. I know of one that does that.

More recently IDPA has ruled AIWB is legal. But as far as I know AAFG is the only range that will actually allow you to do it. Basically the same thing you're talking about. I usually shoot at Bridgeville because it's close to me, but they won't allow AIWB, PCC or serpa holster and it's all posted on Practiscore so it's legal per IDPA for them to do. (I think PCC is basically illegal in DE now anyway)

It still bugs me I must admit. I get it, for basically ever IDPA has been saying AIWB was dangerous and would never be in IDPA. So it's not surprising that long time MD's are still sticking to that.

USPSA has no such rule, clubs can't override the rule book. You either take USPSA as is or you don't have USPSA. If a club tried to say you can't use something that is legal you'd be best to report it to the Area Director.
    This was before the days of practiscore. And the holster met all legalities for type and location. The MD did not point out any clause allowing stricter range rules. He simply said my rig wasn't legal which was patently incorrect. If he said the range didn't allow it, I'd have been pissed but not dropped a dime. He specified illegal and when confronted with my shiny new copy of the rulebook, doubled down. Screw any sport who let's crap like that fly.

In outlaw, generally speaking all procedural faults are specified in stage description and thus anyone who gets a procedural is either illiterate or tried to game and got popped.

I'm all for gear limited stages in precision rifle matches. Heavy penalties and/or DQ for popping a no shoot should be the expected norm in any "practical" game (both idpa and uspsa are light in the ass on this).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom