• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uber

Mar 20, 2021
    Gaithersburg
    A couple weeks back I took some advanced pistol training. One of the instructors was a nationally ranked competitive shooter. I mentioned to him how I'm trying sensitize myself to watch for slide lock. (Occasionally at the range I don't notice and pull the trigger despite being at slide lock.) The instructor said he doesn't need to watch for the visual cue because he can feel slide lock by the change in recoil.

Inspired by this idea, I went to the range, loaded some mag's with two rounds, some with one round, randomly shuffled them, and inserted them. I aimed, closed my eyes, pressed the trigger, and without opening my eyes I tried to predict if I was at slide lock. I was an utter failure (the gun: Sig P320 XFive Legion).

I'm debating on whether I will develop that sensitivity with more practice. Or if, with my gun and my situation, that's not going to happen no matter how many round I burn trying to develop it.

Do others notice slide lock by recoil alone?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I was very surprised yesterday when I didn't notice one time (out of maybe 20 magazines.) That could have been when one of the empties hit me in the head or hit my shooting glasses and I was distracted.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there's certainly a difference, as the slide isn't going forward like it normally does.

that said, we really never want to go to slide lock, as a reload takes longer when you have to manipulate the slide or slide release. plus like you noticed, you may not always notice the slide not going forward and thus that extra trigger pull is wasting time.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's more pronounced on certain pistols and isn't so much a change in recoil as far as the rearward pulse and rise but rather a lack of the secondary, forward dip when it doesn't go back into battery. Your grip also affects the ability to detect it.

Stop thinking about it, stop trying to practice it and just shoot.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It's more pronounced on certain pistols and isn't so much a change in recoil as far as the rearward pulse and rise but rather a lack of the secondary, forward dip when it doesn't go back into battery. Your grip also affects the ability to detect it.

Stop thinking about it, stop trying to practice it and just shoot.
    ^^ This ^^

With trigger time, you will become accustomed to the normal feel of the pistol as it cycles, and you will learn to notice when it fails to close.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ^^ This ^^

With trigger time, you will become accustomed to the normal feel of the pistol as it cycles, and you will learn to notice when it fails to close.
    This is why I only shoot prone…and blindfolded.

I’m banned from every range. They hate me cause they ain’t me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Being mostly a Glock guy, I tell more by trigger reset. I'm sure, were it not for that, I would likely feel the lack of slide returning to battery. I always feel when my AR runs dry by the lack of forward bolt movement.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Being a CZ guy, I fully expect everyone around me to tell me when I'm at slide lock... and then to tell me how awesome I look while staring at it.
    When you get an H&K, God whispers the round count in your ear.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I can't tell. I've never paid attention, but have never been aware before "click".
    My grip on the little Walther usually results in me riding the release.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I feel the slide/bolt lock on most platforms. I don't see much need to develop it as a skill though. In an actual defensive scenario, I am not likely to notice, and in a competition setting you usually already have a plan for round count and reloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom