• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    Will being a designated collector still offer the same purchase opportunities after 10/1/2013 as it does now?

With approx. 103 days left until 10/1/2013 is it worth even trying to get one at this point. I have 3 lowers that I would like to try and get before then.

My thought was to send the paper work for one lower in on 7/1/2013 (my 30 day wait is over then). I figure I will get "Not Disapproved" some time by maybe late September to early October to mid October. About 9/25/2013 put in for the other 2 lowers figuring the MSP doesn't approve me until December 1st or later which I can't imagine they will. That will give 30 + days from the receipt of the 1st lower then I begin a 60 day wait on the two lowers purchased last. (Early Release is not an Option).

I only ask this because it looks as if it is taking as long to get a Designated Collector Status as it does to get Not Disapproved. I know I waited too long, but just trying to work within the system.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Msp is still working on march apps. Not a snowballs chance in hell you submit in July and get your nda back before October. Submit whatever you like as often as you like. You don't need to be a dc to buy the lowers, just to collect them. This has been clarified by msp and is well within the law

catfish jon

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex
    Got an email today from the trooper doing designated collector checks today saying to allow 6 weeks for the process. she also said that she was current up to may 7th.
    So it might still be worth it, it is free after all.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Got an email today from the trooper doing designated collector checks today saying to allow 6 weeks for the process. she also said that she was current up to may 7th.
    So it might still be worth it is free after all.

Hmmm. I got an email from her today saying she was working on my April 26th submission. But, she said it should be completed today, which would make it right at 8 weeks. :party29:

But I agree it is still worth applying as the only cost is a stamp (more if you send it certified mail.)

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Keep in mind you don't necessarily need to have the actual letter to use it. When I applied for mine, I e-mailed the person doing it to check on the status. He said I was approved and could start using it even though the letter wouldn't be sent out for a couple of weeks. The only reason for the letter would be if a dealer wanted a copy for an early release.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Msp is still working on march apps. Not a snowballs chance in hell you submit in July and get your nda back before October. Submit whatever you like as often as you like. You don't need to be a dc to buy the lowers, just to collect them. This has been clarified by msp and is well within the law

Completely Agree.

It's seems like the more time passes, the worse things are getting.

Like I've said before, Delayed Applications X HQL Fee = Bucks for MOM.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. I filled it out and printed the application and took it and got it notarized over lunch and sent it out Certified Mail. We will see what happens.

scott60158

Mar 10, 2013
    Harford
    Wondering what happens to firearms that are not processed by the 10/2013 deadline? Any news would be appreciated.

As long as it is purchased before the ban it is good. The real question is regarding the handgun permit. I bet MOM wants to delay as many as possible and make everyone get a permit

Shooter711

Aug 25, 2011
    Glen Burnie, md
    I bought a handgun on April 4th and still have not heard anything back yet from my ffl. A couple days ago they said they were working on March 27th and 28th and the holds from the 17th of March.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I just got my DC in about 6 weeks (submitted in April received early June). Go for it, You will still have plenty of time to purchase after you get it.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd say if the 77r is dated before Oct 1, you'd be GTG.

An organized MASSSIVE buy up between the 27th and 30th would be fun to watch. Everyone thinking of buying between 8/15 and 10/1 should wait to do their paperwork until the weekend of the 27th. That will give them some schit to do for a while. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom