• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    29" length requirement, yes. IWI has this figured out and will release a 18" barrel version for T7.
    The T7 with an 18" barrel is still technically .25" short of OAL by my calculation. You'll still need a longer buttpad or something, which is not a big deal if it's using the X95 or Tavor buttpads... it looks like the factory version uses the flat buttpad.

It's cool that DT has released the MDR, but I'd wait for a 20" barrel version, and maybe gen 2. This is their first semi-auto to my knowledge, and that makes me nervous.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The T7 with an 18" barrel is still technically .25" short of OAL by my calculation. You'll still need a longer buttpad or something, which is not a big deal if it's using the X95 or Tavor buttpads... it looks like the factory version uses the flat buttpad.

It's cool that DT has released the MDR, but I'd wait for a 20" barrel version, and maybe gen 2. This is their first semi-auto to my knowledge, and that makes me nervous.

They sell the 18" 5.56 Tavor in MD, so they will probably figure this out.

I am personally waiting for the longer barrel either way. It's a bullpup and will be pretty short. For .308, I expect somewhat better performance with an 18 or 20" barrel.

I agree it will be good to wait for Gen 2 since this is their first semi auto. They had a lot of problems making this so hopefully the kinks are worked out.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They sell the 18" 5.56 Tavor in MD, so they will probably figure this out.
    If they do it in factory config, somebody's screwing up. It does NOT make OAL without a pinned muzzle device, it's only a touch over 28".

I am personally waiting for the longer barrel either way. It's a bullpup and will be pretty short. For .308, I expect somewhat better performance with an 18 or 20" barrel.
    I bought an RFB with a 24" barrel, and it is surprisingly manageable. Shorter than my DPMS Oracle build with a 16" barrel and fixed stock, in fact. IMHO, 18"-20" barrels are where it's at on bullpups.

Jiman

Dec 12, 2012
    IIRC, the Tavor X-95 has a thicker buttpad compared to the Gen 1's thin pad, so along with an 18" barrel it probably would meet MD's OAL requirement...that's assuming the MD version is based on the X95.

The MDR is supposed to come with a 19" barrel...no idea on whether the muzzle device is going to be pinned on not. The 16" version has a total 26.2" OAL(including the muzzle device) according to the DT website, so unless they add a thicker buttpad, I'm assuming it's going to be a pinned muzzle device.

I guess time will tell.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Just purchased the MDR 308 with a factory 20” barrel. That should bring the OAL to about 30”. And that makes it MD and DC compliant.

Got mine from Atlantic guns in silver spring

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just purchased the MDR 308 with a factory 20” barrel. That should bring the OAL to about 30”. And that makes it MD and DC compliant.

Got mine from Atlantic guns in silver spring

Let us know how it shoots!

Mine is about 3 MOA out to 200 yards with 168 Federal Premium, but I have the 16" version. It's less when I do my part better.

Looking forward to the 20" barrels that can actually be supressed. Thankfully I have some recent items out of jail.

:D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I’m planning to run it with an AAC 7.62 can/ 51T brakeout adapter.

I’m hoping it’s dti fixed all the issues. But the lifetime warranty made a difference in my decision to pull the trigger on getting one. I should have ordered one in 6.5cm instead of 308.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Some of the issues you mention in the other thread they fix under warranty on Gen 1 (6 position gas port, hammer spring, extractor). I have not had any problems with it except for some extraction issues with surplus 308 (well documented by InRangeTV, I think). The extractor fix solved the issue. They widened the extractor. I have not had any issues with the magazine release. I am a trigger snob, anything less than a Geissele can always be improved. I gotta be honest most of the problem with the trigger is that such a small platform behind a 308 may or may not make you cringe at times. And also its a challenge to find a scope that fits right without, er, the bite.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I’m excited about it. After all, it’s made in the US by Americans. I’m for supporting small American companies. Especially nowadays when there is a full assault on 2A.

Btw, what optic would you suggest?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Depends entirely what kind of shooting you will do, and your budget. For shits and giggles I've put a 2-10x 42 on it just to see what it could do. It looks like a behemoth on the rail. It did not last long but it provided a good 200 yd accuracy test. If you will do something like heavy metal 3 gun I would go for a compact 1-4 (I just picked up a Trijicon on sale) or maybe a holo. Whatever magnification you decide, get a compact-as-possible scope (compact in length), the gun is fairly short, and I think a cantilever mount works the best and is most flexible to get the right eye box.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    In this area, 500 yards is max in terms of distance . I don’t know of any local ranges that extend farther than that.

I think I’ll go with a vortex 1-8x / adm cantilever mount . 45 degree offset sights for the buis.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Decided to get the 1-8 acss for the MDRX

My setup should look like this.

( from Atlantic Guns FB page)

Attachments

• CB5055BA-1FB8-46E3-A825-4AB4C5C84C39.jpg
      CB5055BA-1FB8-46E3-A825-4AB4C5C84C39.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 1,313

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have both the MDR in .308 and in .223. I'm not getting the accuracy I'd like out of the .308. was hopping it was closer to my Scars. now the .223 is a tac driver!! I really love it. I still have a few more types of .308 to try out before I say for sure its gun related.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have both the MDR in .308 and in .223. I'm not getting the accuracy I'd like out of the .308. was hopping it was closer to my Scars. now the .223 is a tac driver!! I really love it. I still have a few more types of .308 to try out before I say for sure its gun related.

I got very good accuracy out of Federal Premium 168 gr.

You dont say which barrel you have, but the process that they use to make the 16" 308 MD compliant (pin weld a muzzle brake or FH) can degrade accuracy.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I got very good accuracy out of Federal Premium 168 gr.

You dont say which barrel you have, but the process that they use to make the 16" 308 MD compliant (pin weld a muzzle brake or FH) can degrade accuracy.

I have the 16" barrel with the stock flash hider ( no Md mods) I'm in Va. I'll have to give the federal premium a try thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom