• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    As many know the Dept of Commerce is asking holster companies for a customer database to datamine for where "possible" guns are. Looks like Alien Gear will tell them to pound sand. Got this email from Alien Gear tonight.

AG Dpt of Commerce.png

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    It’s why using cash to buy things is a good idea. Also why so many of these shitty politicians are all about digital currency. Make it easy to track what people buy.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    It’s why using cash to buy things is a good idea. Also why so many of these shitty politicians are all about digital currency. Make it easy to track what people buy.
    How does that work with an online retailer that still needs to ship it your house?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The Departments of Commerce and State are charged with enforcing ITAR.

Holsters fall under ITAR.

State is in charge of administering ITAR. Commerce manages the Export Administration Regulations. Different sets of rules over different commodities and vastly different criminal and civil penalties. Some sporting arms are now under EARs, gear with primarily military or police use falls under ITAR.

Actual enforcement mostly falls on DHS and FBI, although DoC does have its own credentialed 1811s under its (relatively small) Office of Export Enforcement.

DoC is also responsible for collecting data on interstate and international commerce, and has the Census Bureau as one of its subordinate elements. It wouldn't be surprising they'd be collecting generalized statistical data on firearms accessory commerce, just like they do on any other commodity, but it would surprise me if they were collecting information about individual domestic retail purchases.

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    F-EM That is why I make my own can't wait until they out law reloading which is next.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    The Departments of Commerce and State are charged with enforcing ITAR.

Holsters fall under ITAR.

So how does that work when embassy personnel pop out to do some shopping at local gun stores for holsters? I remember many years ago talking with a gun shop manager in NoVa about who was buying full shoulder holster rigs and he said he did a lot of business with embassy folks.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    So how does that work when embassy personnel pop out to do some shopping at local gun stores for holsters? I remember many years ago talking with a gun shop manager in NoVa about who was buying full shoulder holster rigs and he said he did a lot of business with embassy folks.
    Good question.

Someone from State or Commerce would have to address that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom