• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 20, 2022
    AA
    I have a small, subtle dent in the side of an old metal magazine for a Remington 760 Gamemaster that is just enough to slightly prohibit it from feeding cartridges properly. Any tips on how I could get that out?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have a small, subtle dent in the side of an old metal magazine for a Remington 760 Gamemaster that is just enough to slightly prohibit it from feeding cartridges properly. Any tips on how I could get that out?
    A lot depends on where the dent is and the access. IIRC the 760 mags are spot welded on the bottom so the normal trick of making a mandrel to force the mag over won't fly. If it isn't too far in then it could probably be massaged out with a round headed punch and some careful backing.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Fully load the mag and try pressing on the rounds once fully loaded, if that does not work and it is close to the top pus the follwer down a little bit and try and work the area with a soft wood dowel or shim.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    How stupid this may sound, I wonder if tools like the people from Paintless dent repair would work. I have seen a few of those guys work and some of them have tools small enough that would fit in a magazine.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Solder a "Penny" to it with a brazing rod stuck to it and pull/lever it it out with vise grips from the opposite side of some vise jaws.
    Or, pien around it with a close fitting steel mandrel inserted into the mag and a brass punch till it lifts.
    Dolly it out.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Is it because the follower binds up on it? If that's the case, it may be easier to file some relief into the follower. If it's hitting the rounds themselves, you'd have to deal with it directly.

How valuable is the overall condition of the magazine to you? Would it be ruined with a 1/4inch or so hole in the side of it?

The stretched metal in the dent is going to be harder than the rest of the mag, so it might be tricky to push it out without messing the whole thing up. Although on a much heavier duty scale, I run into a similar situation with target bases that get shot and intrude into the pocket that holds the 2x4. I drill out the worst of the dimple, because that metal is stretched and shrinking it would take a lot of effort/magic. When the side is still a little collapsed, I put a bolt, nut, and big washers through the hole that I drilled so that threading the bolt in pushes on the other side of the pocket and the nut (on the inside) pushes the dent out. I put as thick a piece of steel as I can between the end of the bolt and the good side of the pocket to spread out the pressure and prevent damage to everything else.
    Maybe something similar would work? But...it does involve putting a hole in the side...

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Solder a "Penny" to it with a brazing rod stuck to it and pull/lever it it out with vise grips from the opposite side of some vise jaws.
    Or, pien around it with a close fitting steel mandrel inserted into the mag and a brass punch till it lifts.
    Dolly it out.
    I've had success with the peening method. It helped to lay the mag dented side down on a flat piece of steel (I used an anvil) to prevent over-correcting the dent removal.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I've had success with the peening method. It helped to lay the mag dented side down on a flat piece of steel (I used an anvil) to prevent over-correcting the dent removal.
    Yes, a rubber or leather faced brass hammer is particularly useful in this department.
    The penny trick works too but its hard to say in this instance how big a dent or what sort of damage exists without seeing the mag.
    Those mags are/were pretty robust, have radiused corners/edges and are sculpted on the bottom.
    They used to be made pretty well and are climbing not only in price but availability as well.
    Then there is the other type with the release riveted to the side of it for the auto loaders.

Jul 5, 2022
    West Friendship
    I would take it to “Dent Doctor” and ask them. They have tools to work the dent out and make a dent in your car almost invisible which should work for you. A dent is still a dent. I’m also assuming the magazine can be partially or completely disassembled.
    I would be curious to know what they say or can do.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It would be pointless, the dent really doesn’t show up in pictures

A pic might still help if you can indicate where the dent is. The trick to removing the dent will likely primarily involve how to get at it, to be able to either remove or apply sufficient force to the problem area. I don't have mine handy, but my 760 mag as I recall is some pretty stern steel.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    Drill a small hole on the opposite side and slip a long punch in there, tap out the dent. If concerned about the hole, braze it shut but I think I'd leave it if it didn't interfere.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Any tips on how I could get that out?

I don’t have any but, I can’t believe these people actually have those magazines in stock (not a price I’d be eager to pay but, I can’t remember the last time I’ve see any actually available):

Some guts and bodies here but again, no complete mags:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I don’t have any but, I can’t believe these people actually have those magazines in stock (not a price I’d be eager to pay but, I can’t remember the last time I’ve see any actually available):

Some guts and bodies here but again, no complete mags:

Funny you mention this.

I haven't been in Bass Pro in several years now. But I always found it surprising that, of the handful of magazines they'd put out on display? And of all of the different magazines they COULD have stocked? They always had mags for the Remington 760, and their later model pumps.

They weren't cheap as I remember thinking, at 35 or 40 bucks or so if I recall correctly. But for a company with a very slim selection of mags, where they might hang out 5 different magazines? And this being Maryland? Remington 760 mags were always there.

I don't see them showing online at Bass Pro at present. But DO take a look if you get in there. I'm seeing a lot of signs online that SEEM TO suggest that these magazines are perhaps going to become increasingly harder to find, or increasingly expensive, or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom