• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTK64

Sep 27, 2010
    What time?, have to make up for being late last month

Jim I get there no later then 8:30 to setup any help would be great thanks.
    I think the pistol range will be steel challenge setup and the rifle range will be more interesting you never know maybe some long range stuff.:D

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Jim I get there no later then 8:30 to setup any help would be great thanks.
    I think the pistol range will be steel challenge setup and the rifle range will be more interesting you never know maybe some long range stuff.:D

ok see you at 8:30 Gary, can't wait to see what you have planned

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    There are typically 4 stages with each stage shot 5 times. If Gary sets it up for Steel Challenge, there will be five steels typically in a Steel Challange pattern with the previously mentioned stop plate. Time is kept for each run at each stage. If you want to know how it was scored you would throw out your slowest time for each stage and add the remaining four. Then total the four stages. Formally, there would be time penalties for missed targets. Gary typically just keeps the times. When he adds more steels, well that would be more of a PA Unique setup. The times are kept for shooter interests, so if you practice you'll see month to month improvement. Well, in theory - I had a couple months where I should have just watched. But it always ends up a good time.

yeah that's how I felt last month after not practicing all winter, lol, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside it, hope this month is better

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Would an SW AR15-22 shoot in the same class as a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine? I assume so since they do in Steel Challenge Carbine division. Have both but just checking.
    Do .22 pistols shoot in the same class as centerfire pistols?

Biggest problem for me is the 5 hour round trip. Not really sure I am willing to do that for a club match.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Would an SW AR15-22 shoot in the same class as a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine? I assume so since they do in Steel Challenge Carbine division. Have both but just checking.
    Do .22 pistols shoot in the same class as centerfire pistols?

Biggest problem for me is the 5 hour round trip. Not really sure I am willing to do that for a club match.

I haven't made it up there this year, but in past years there is no real classification. It's a fun shoot and good practice. Lot's of casual teasing to those that know one another and a slow pace for helping newbies.

Sometimes my squad stopped keeping score...sometimes we loaded each others mags to make you reload...sometimes we did a run with off-hand.

Plenty of gun talk and sharing lies. Always a good time.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I haven't made it up there this year, but in past years there is no real classification. It's a fun shoot and good practice. Lot's of casual teasing to those that know one another and a slow pace for helping newbies.

Sometimes my squad stopped keeping score...sometimes we loaded each others mags to make you reload...sometimes we did a run with off-hand.

Plenty of gun talk and sharing lies. Always a good time.

We use a 15-22 carbine at delta for the challenge,and my GF uses a M&P 22 pistol, they are perfectly fine to use. It is alot of fun and there is some good natured ribbing going on, we all have a great time.

sourbeer

Jul 26, 2012
    montana
    nicely done

my son and I really enjoyed the match this past weekend. This was his first match using 3 guns and he did very well. He shot his AR 15-22 rimfire with factory open sights and did well against us with our scoped AR's. Thanks to the experienced shooters in our group for helping out Ethan and I as we continue to learn the sport.

He did run his camera as well and will hope to get out a video of the event when he can pull it together around lacrosse and school work schedules. I think that he worked on it a good bit yesterday so hopefully this week some time.

Shot with a good bunch of guys as usual and was able to see some really good shooting. I also brought along a new guy and he had a great time. All of the new shooters that I have introduced to the matches this year have all come away feeling very welcome, and had a great experience. Prior to the first match for each of them, there is a sense of anxiety that they will not do well but everybody that we have met at these matches has been extremely kind and welcoming.

GTK64

Sep 27, 2010
    Glad you and your group enjoyed the shoot. Can't wait to see the video maybe next time we will shoot in the same group.
    Gary

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    I thought the 3 gun match went very well. The stages challenged your skills and you had to walk a fine line of between speed and accuracy as the penalties were stiff.

Sourbeer - It was a pleasure shooting with you and Ethan. You both are doing well, especially Ethan. He is a good student, he listens and then executes what you tell him to do (think doubles with the shotgun). I was one of our groups RO's and everyone on our squad did well and had fun. Looking forward to the video.

-Joe

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    Sourbeer - Thanks for letting me use your long guns. They were a joy to shoot. The only thing I did not like was that they obviously could not serve as an excuse for any missed shots :D. Ethan rocked, especially considering that this was his first 3 gun match. It was a pleasure meeting you in person and spending a great day with your group.

Gary - Thanks to you and your gang for setting up an interesting and fun shoot. I also vote for leaving the 'damn' tree in the mix.

sourbeer

Jul 26, 2012
    montana
    results

after seeing the results, I have to say that Ethan is going to have to shoot a revolver, a 410 single barrel shotgun and a bolt action rifle from now on. I can't have him beating me like this. Of course I couldn't be more proud of him and love to see him doing well and enjoying himself. He looks forward to these shoots very much and is meeting a lot of good coaches along the way.

The dueling tree kicked my butt, i'll have to pay Ethan extra to keep that footage out of the video. Probably a good thing for the viewers, who wants to watch a guy miss what he is trying to hit, over and over and over.

Glad to have been able to lend my guns to you, even though you shot them better than I do. You are welcome and I look forward to shooting with you again some time.

GTK64

Sep 27, 2010
    just do us all a favor Gary, take that damn tree out of this months stage!

Jim for you I think I will go buy another tree with smaller targets so we can have one on both ranges.:D

Glad everyone enjoyed the three gun shoot, it is always fun with such a good group of people. Thanks to everyone who helped set up and clean up.:thumbsup:
    Gary

Last edited:

Kjdowning18

Oct 23, 2012
    Red Lion, PA
    That was a great time and had a blast shooting and roing..... Ethan has a bright future in this sport if he keeps with it and works at it like he has been doing!.... Can't wait to see the video!!

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Jim for you I think I will go buy another tree with smaller targets so we can have one on both ranges.:D

Glad everyone enjoyed the three gun shoot, it is always fun with such a good group of people. Thanks to everyone who helped set up and clean up.:thumbsup:
    Gary

:shocking:, thanks Gary, just what I needed to hear

onatsky

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2010
    Parkville MD

Gary

can you make it an oak tree instead :)

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom