• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    Went out to Delmarva sporting clays this weekend with a buddy to do some shooting. I had a real good time. Everyone was friendly, very laid back atmosphere and the folks that worked the place showed great hospitality. Probably the best range experience personnel wise i've ever had. HOWEVER, the flies were horrible. Is this a common problem? They were talking like it was but we were getting bitten by flies constantly and their must have been 4 to 5 around your head at a time. It was somewhat good to practice shooting in that kind of environment but I can't imagine going back if that is to be expected every time.

I was going to give it another shot and dress to the environment just in case but i'm hoping others here have some good insight on the situation.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've only been a few times, for the rifle range - I didn't have the flies to deal with, but that was thanks to a good breeze blowing in from the water.

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    I've only been a few times, for the rifle range - I didn't have the flies to deal with, but that was thanks to a good breeze blowing in from the water.

We have 5-7mph breeze but wind and shooting dont always make for fun as you know. I think its crazy to thinking they're always that bad and nothing is done about it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its outdoors. Near the water. There are bugs outside. Delmarva probably can't do much about it however you can wear DEET/bugspray.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Lets explain a couple of things about Dorchester County.

1. The horse flies fly in squadrons.

2. The mosquitos provide air cover to the horseflies and close ground support to....

3. The TICKS......all varieties of them.

Welcome to the swamps in the summer.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    They have the road blocked off now to where the old bridge was. Swampy, THICK saw grass and a ZILLION flying insects. Chicken neckers need not apply stay where you're at and sip on your grey poupon.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Since I belong to a range, I've only been there a few times...mostly for sporting clays or to check rifle sight in during deer season (I hunt between Mardela Springs and Quantico). No bugs that time of the year.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    The flying/biting insects are pretty bad a lot of the summer. Unless things dry out it's not going to get any better. Bunch of kids from our street playing in our yard this weekend and you would differently tell who was wearing deet and who was not. Poor kids looked like they had chicken pox...lol

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Went out to Delmarva sporting clays this weekend with a buddy to do some shooting. I had a real good time. Everyone was friendly, very laid back atmosphere and the folks that worked the place showed great hospitality. Probably the best range experience personnel wise i've ever had. HOWEVER, the flies were horrible. Is this a common problem? They were talking like it was but we were getting bitten by flies constantly and their must have been 4 to 5 around your head at a time. It was somewhat good to practice shooting in that kind of environment but I can't imagine going back if that is to be expected every time.

I was going to give it another shot and dress to the environment just in case but i'm hoping others here have some good insight on the situation.

Well, yes because #outside.#nature
    Face it you're on the Eastern shore where the legendary black files life.
    Definitely have to bring the deep woods off that hippie 'natural repellent' wont work. I use US-Army repellent with the deet in it.

But, ya Delmarva is awesome and the people there are so nice. Hope you got to shoot the .50 it's a blast

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    I think people are misunderstanding my post. Even the guy working the range said it was awful and wasn't normally like thaThe EVERYONE was complaining. I probably had 10 flies dropping in on me at any given time. Guess I'm just not the Billy bad ass many of you are. I'll be sure to stick to my sponge Bob pj's.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was there today. There were quite a few biting flies there. Had a great time, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom