• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Mixed feelings about this. I like Mike, but there are so few conservatives in MD politics, and we always wind up eating our own. If he wins, we don't expand our coverage to 2 districts... it stays at 1 with no net change in MD's representation. Andy isn't perfect, but I would love to see both Andy and Mike hold seats rather than have to choose between them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Mixed feelings about this. I like Mike, but there are so few conservatives in MD politics, and we always wind up eating our own. If he wins, we don't expand our coverage to 2 districts... it stays at 1 with no net change in MD's representation. Andy isn't perfect, but I would love to see both Andy and Mike hold seats rather than have to choose between them.

^^^^^^ This x 1 million.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    "Smigiel says some have been concerned that Harris was disconnected from the district and too open to compromise."

That's really rich. Isn't being disconnected from the district EXACTLY the reason given why Smigiel lost re-election? And in a smaller, more homogenous district. Fail up? :sad20:

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    "Smigiel says some have been concerned that Harris was disconnected from the district and too open to compromise."

That's really rich. Isn't being disconnected from the district EXACTLY the reason given why Smigiel lost re-election? And in a smaller, more homogenous district. Fail up? :sad20:

redistricting cut smigiels district in half in his home county. in a primary where multiple counties are voting for their home county candidate, the amount of voters left in cecil to vote for him weren't enough to overcome full counties voting for other candidates. he was basically redistricted out. and that was a shame. shame #2 is how little representation the shore actually has in the MGA.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    redistricting cut smigiels district in half in his home county. in a primary where multiple counties are voting for their home county candidate, the amount of voters left in cecil to vote for him weren't enough to overcome full counties voting for other candidates. he was basically redistricted out. and that was a shame. shame #2 is how little representation the shore actually has in the MGA.

Yup, if I can remember correctly (and don't quote me on this) ... Smiegel's side 35B? got a chunk of Kent county down the east side of the bay. 35A is split a little between east Harford / western Cecil. Honestly I'd like to get Andy Harris out of here. I'd love to see Mike as my new rep. Plus I think he would ruffle alot of feathers that need to be ruffled in DC.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I live in the first Congressional District.

My two cents is that Mike has a LONG way to go to have a credible shot at this. About all he will be doing is forcing Harris to spend campaign money in the primary that he will need in the general, thus putting the ONLY Rep seat in MD in jeopardy.

Mike is to be commended for his 2A stance, but that isn't nearly enough to get him much traction in this Congress race. He comes across as a one trick pony on an issue less than half the voters care much about, one way or the other, even in this conservative district.

Secondly, Mike's strength is his willingness to enter the fray with energy and enthusiasm. This is also his weakness, as far too often he comes across as little more than a bombastic loudmouth.

Lastly, if Mike is serious about this and isn't just playing the stooge to help Dems weaken Harris, then he has to get serious and take some personal responsibility for things that will impact the outcome. Too few voters THINK, and mostly they emote. They tend to vote for people they LIKE on a personal level. Image counts for a lot. Watch Mike sometime with the sound off and its easy to see his worst enemy is himself. He needs to shed at least 50 pounds for starters, and maybe 100 pounds. He needs to learn how to smile. He needs to learn how to actually BE a nice guy, instead of a tough guy who acts like New Jersey. He needs to stop trying to be a bully. He needs lessons in projecting gravitas. And so, so much more.

Harris may well be imperfect, but I sort of know both of them, and it is an easy choice to prefer Harris.

It is really unclear how this is good for him.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I live in the first Congressional District.

My two cents is that Mike has a LONG way to go to have a credible shot at this. About all he will be doing is forcing Harris to spend campaign money in the primary that he will need in the general, thus putting the ONLY Rep seat in MD in jeopardy.

Mike is to be commended for his 2A stance, but that isn't nearly enough to get him much traction in this Congress race. He comes across as a one trick pony on an issue less than half the voters care much about, one way or the other, even in this conservative district.

Secondly, Mike's strength is his willingness to enter the fray with energy and enthusiasm. This is also his weakness, as far too often he comes across as little more than a bombastic loudmouth.

Lastly, if Mike is serious about this and isn't just playing the stooge to help Dems weaken Harris, then he has to get serious and take some personal responsibility for things that will impact the outcome. Too few voters THINK, and mostly they emote. They tend to vote for people they LIKE on a personal level. Image counts for a lot. Watch Mike sometime with the sound off and its easy to see his worst enemy is himself. He needs to shed at least 50 pounds for starters, and maybe 100 pounds. He needs to learn how to smile. He needs to learn how to actually BE a nice guy, instead of a tough guy who acts like New Jersey. He needs to stop trying to be a bully. He needs lessons in projecting gravitas. And so, so much more.

Harris may well be imperfect, but I sort of know both of them, and it is an easy choice to prefer Harris.

It is really unclear how this is good for him.

I tend to agree with most of this. I did the op to get the discussion started and see what came up. I was and still am conflicted between Harris and Smigiel and I will have to decide between the two in the future. The delegate made several impassioned speeches at rallies in Annapolis that I have attended, but I remember the Congressman being at the rallies as well(at least one). While I like Mike as do other members here, I don't see a reason to replace Andy. Perhaps the next several months will change my thinking.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Smigiel for Congress

I attended Mike's town hall in Fallston and this was the handout. Harris is not the same candidate he claimed to be during his election campaign. We need someone, like Mike, who is not afraid to stick to his principles and who can lead others.

Attachments

• AndyHarris.pdf
      362.2 KB · Views: 186
    • AndyHarris2.pdf
      402.8 KB · Views: 189

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I attended Mike's town hall in Fallston and this was the handout. Harris is not the same candidate he claimed to be during his election campaign. We need someone, like Mike, who is not afraid to stick to his principles and who can lead others.

Andy Harris has befallen the route that most who go to Washington befall; get in line with the establishment, or lose your seat and tenure.

Remember, this is the same Harris that did lose a general election once before.

I'm with Tim here and happy I'm moving back into the 1st Congressional prior to the primary.

As Don H said "I like Mike, and I vote."

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'd hate to vote against Mike, but I will. Andy has done a good job. Mike should try Senate, or talk Andy into running for that seat.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Mike wants to fail up?

That's what Democrats do.

ShoreShooter makes valid points, above.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Mike wants to fail up?

That's what Democrats do.

ShoreShooter makes valid points, above.

Del Mike was also the target of two enemies; redistricting as retribution by Owe'Maolley and a preventative power play by...none other than Andy Harris.

Of course do your own research and form your own opinion.

Remember, Andy Harris lost his congress seat for a term!

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Remember, Andy Harris lost his congress seat for a term!

Andy didn't lose his Congressional seat. He did narrowly lose to Frank Kratovil in his first run in 2008, after he beat RINO Wayne Gilchrist in the primary. A major factor in that primary was E.J. Pipkin's last minute entry into the race, which fractured the party and allowed a Kratovil win in the general. Andy won in 2010 and has won each election since then.

I campaigned for Pipkin in 2008, and have regretted it since, because I believe an unwarranted primary battle cost us 2 years with a congressman taking orders from Pelosi instead of one representing us.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I like Mike but he may have burnt too many bridges in the district. While Andy seems to have the whole district at heart even being from the western shore. While the primaries are going the way they are, I think at some point the folks will tire of bully politicians and get back to those who show some measure of decorum. Since we are from the western part of Cecil, we have had Andy's signs on the road. Chris

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I like Mike but he may have burnt too many bridges in the district. While Andy seems to have the whole district at heart even being from the western shore. While the primaries are going the way they are, I think at some point the folks will tire of bully politicians and get back to those who show some measure of decorum. Since we are from the western part of Cecil, we have had Andy's signs on the road. Chris

Decorum? What decorum?

Is decorum when Congress suspends the rules for a vote on a trade bill? Or changes the filibusterer rules on judicial nominees?

Is decorum when amendments are revoted outside the rules so that they can twist arms and push through infringements upon freedom?

Andy is better than a Dem in that district, but, he has often rolled with the establishment.

Rather turn the legislature over and keep fresh bodies in there who might put up some additional roadblocks. Gridlock is a feature, not a bug.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Missing the point. If Mike were to unseat Andy. He would just be giving that to a dem in the general. I respect his 2A stand but do not know him on anything else. Could he raise enough $ to run a House seat race?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom