• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Just means the NICS examiner saw something he wanted clarified, you'll be delayed until they get an answer. The shop can legally sell the gun to you after a few days, although many stores have a "no sale without a "proceed" response" policy, and if the delay lasts more than 30 days you need a new NICS check anyway.

Since your personal data is flushed from the transaction record 24 hours (IIRC) after resolution, whatever caused the delay may do so repeatedly. If that happens, talk to NICS about being added to their Voluntary Appeals File, which gives them a permanent record of the truth behind the problem, and can end repeated delays.

Good luck!
    I believe voluntary appeal involves taking a fingerprint card to a leo agency for printing, I just don't have the time for all that.
    Going on 6 days now and no response. Lame. I provided my ssn too, weird.

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    I've never purchased from a MD dealer, but when I lived in VA I would get delayed 90 minutes, every single time. My regular transfer dealer would do the check and I'd go have lunch and come pick up the gun after.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I've been delayed like 3 or 4 times. There must be some POS running around with the same name as myself. :mad54: They always come back good to go though. :D

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I recently got "Delayed" buying a Savage 111 from Dicks. Been 5 days now, still no response. I just got my Collectors Status two weeks ago. :mad54:

Is it a case where you don't have your paper work yet? If so back when I got mine the MSP told me to just have whoever I was buying from too just give them a call

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    Is it a case where you don't have your paper work yet? If so back when I got mine the MSP told me to just have whoever I was buying from too just give them a call

A Savage 111 isn't a Regulated Firearm, MSP doesn't get involved in (or even know about) the transaction. This would be a delay on the NICS instant check.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I knew someone who got delayed for a long arm and a few days later it came back okay. Better start buying your guns in the woods just in case! Lol.

You are suggesting the infamous "gun show loophole". Only criminals do that.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have been delayed a couple of times. In my case its always because of an open investigation involving my Md handgun permit renewal or renewing my clearence.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    I recently got "Delayed" buying a Savage 111 from Dicks. Been 5 days now, still no response. I just got my Collectors Status two weeks ago. :mad54:

If you have waited your 3 days then go in and ask them to call and follow up. Dicks has a store policy of waiting 30 days for a response, then they will re- submit.They can call NICS and check up. Its hard enough to get somebody there to answer the phone when you want something, I imagine the call center just gives up if they don't pick up the phone.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    If you have waited your 3 days then go in and ask them to call and follow up. Dicks has a store policy of waiting 30 days for a response, then they will re- submit.They can call NICS and check up. Its hard enough to get somebody there to answer the phone when you want something, I imagine the call center just gives up if they don't pick up the phone.
    They said they will not call and check up because NICS can not by law give them any information. As you said tho, they will wait 30 days then cancel the transaction. Been 7 days now. :tap:

I have been delayed a couple of times. In my case its always because of an open investigation involving my Md handgun permit renewal or renewing my clearence.
    Maybe my permit application is messing things up? If so I would think more than one of us here would be experiencing the same delays.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    They said they will not call and check up because NICS can not by law give them any information. As you said tho, they will wait 30 days then cancel the transaction. Been 7 days now. :tap:

That is not true, I had the same problem with Dicks. Spoke to folks over at the NICS and they said a follow up call is just fine. I would get a manager to make the call for you, there is no come back on them just for following up. Good luck!

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012

Maybe my permit application is messing things up? If so I would think more than one of us here would be experiencing the same delays.

I do followups as a matter of course, we're not always there to answer the phone and sometimes miss the call from NICS. I like to keep the delays pruned out of the file. It's true all they'll tell you is the current status of the transaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom