• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KB Defense

Industry Partner
    May 15, 2023
    Laurel
    Instructor is former SWAT, federal law enforcement and instructor at the Joint Law Enforcement Training Center teaching Military Police, Master-at-Arms and Security Forces and, through other venues, taught Air Marshals, Federal Reserve Police, MD State Troopers and local LEOs. With DoS, conducted overseas counter-surveillance ops and dignitary protection. You must first take NRA Basic Pistol (or equivalent like MD Wear & Carry) before you can take this course. Defensive Pistol Series is designed to increase accuracy and speed in the first phase. In the second phase students work on multiple target acquisition and individual movement. The third phase introduces complex movements and advanced shooting positions. Please submit your $100 deposit via Zelle info@gappstrategies.org or Venmo @GAPP-Strategies or CashApp $GAPPStrategies to reserve your slot. The total is due the week prior to class.

KB Defense

Industry Partner
    May 15, 2023
    Laurel
    Sorry for the oversight. Yes, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore; Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore; 11518 Marriottsville Road, Marriottsville, MD 21104. No classroom time - all range time.

KB Defense

Industry Partner
    May 15, 2023
    Laurel
    We shoot about 250 rounds for each of the three classes which are spaced out one class a month. The classes are 8 hours and at the range all day. The series is designed to teach skills in one month, give the participant the time to work on the skills by themselves before the next class and then the subsequent class builds on the previous skills, Defensive Pistol I, II & III are offered in Oct, Nov and Dec and each one gets more expensive as the gear needed gets more expensive ($235, $285 and $335). Stop the Bleed is also taught in this series.

gab

MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2023
    I would greatly recommend these set of classes for anyone who is looking to take their skills to the next level and want to gain confidence in their ability to react to real world scenarios. The small class environment gives the instructor an opportunity to individually coach us through the skills and provide a lot of individual attention.

I was one of the lucky few in the first iteration of these Defensive Pistol classes for civilians, and have taken several courses with the instructor before, this was an invaluable experience and exactly what I was looking for. His knowledge as a military and law enforcement instructor coupled with his real-world experience in self-defense situations shone brightly in this civilian class.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would greatly recommend these set of classes for anyone who is looking to take their skills to the next level and want to gain confidence in their ability to react to real world scenarios. The small class environment gives the instructor an opportunity to individually coach us through the skills and provide a lot of individual attention.

I was one of the lucky few in the first iteration of these Defensive Pistol classes for civilians, and have taken several courses with the instructor before, this was an invaluable experience and exactly what I was looking for. His knowledge as a military and law enforcement instructor coupled with his real-world experience in self-defense situations shone brightly in this civilian class.
    Why don't you go to the introduction section if joining the forum. Wondering how you found the forum for your first post. Maybe someone asked you to join to say a few words.

gab

MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2023
    Why don't you go to the introduction section if joining the forum. Wondering how you found the forum for your first post. Maybe someone asked you to join to say a few words.
    Sure. Thank you for the suggestion. Just introduced myself there. Not trying to hide anything here or start in the wrong foot. I didn’t have much of a reason to join the forum before. I asked Kirby to send me a link next time he posted about the class so I could share my feedback and experience with others.

I finished the series back in August, which I thought was fantastic. I've also taken a couple other courses from him, as well as other instructors before, and I've gotten a lot out of his classes and he has helped improve my shooting even further the past couple of years. From my perspective, the course was well worth it and I hope others have the same opportunity I did to go through it.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Like gab above, I also attended Kirby's first Defensive Pistol course that began in June. The three-class series, one full 8 hour day each month for 3 months, was very comprehensive. I too appreciated the personalized instruction made possible by a small class size and a highly experienced instructor who has had extensive experience training military and law enforcement people, as well as regular citizens, and has even had first-hand experience on SWAT teams including as a team leader.

The first class covered all the basic defensive shooting concepts and safe handgun handling skills – for me a very useful comprehensive review of the basics. There was a discussion of avoidance tactics – i.e., how to avoid situations that could lead to a shooting incident, techniques to de-escalate a confrontation, etc. It also included a stop-the-bleed session with hands-on tourniquet application practice, simulated wound packing with foam blocks, and assembling a basic trauma kit. The second class included additional accuracy drills and moving and transitioning between multiple targets.

The third and most advanced class included close-range shooting, shooting from concealment, around barriers, corners, through simulated window and door openings. It also incorporated strong arm injury scenarios that required learning how to transfer the gun to, and shoot with, the support hand, and reload and rack the pistol after a strong arm injury. There was a segment involving learning how to transition between standing and kneeling or prone positions during a defensive encounter. We also had to practice quickly applying a tourniquet to ourself during a defensive shooting scenario after we were shot in the arm or leg with the instructor shouting out an injury during the exercise without any notice. One other important thing incorporated into most of the more advanced defensive shooting exercises is the call to 911 after a self-defense incident – what to say, what not to say, etc. We were required to do this each time we "shot" a bad guy.

The classes use various kinds of paper targets including full size silhouette targets as well as steel targets, sometimes alone, at other times in combination with paper targets for certain exercises. I didn’t keep exact count of the number of rounds fired in each class, but it ranged between a couple of hundred rounds in the first class to probably 250 to 300 rounds for each of the other two classes.

I highly recommend this class for anyone who has recently gotten, or is about to get, his or her wear and carry license. I also recommend it for those who have had a basic concealed carry class or personal defense in the home class, but has not yet had any advanced training in defensive handgun use. While I am not by any means a defensive shooting expert after taking the series, I am much more confident that if I get into a defensive situation I will be much better prepared to avoid a shooting confrontation if at all possible, and to safely handle my firearm and defend myself or others when necessary. Not to say that it would be guaranteed to work out well in the end, but definitely a higher probability that it would have been before I had this training.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Kirby Bowling. You will find his name, company name, web site url and phone number at the bottom of his original post and each of his other posts above. How is that like pulling teeth??

None of that information shows when you read it in a browser on a phone in portrait mode (vice landscape), which is likely how a majority of people read the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom