• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    A Savage with the accutrigger or a 700 sps . Your more then welcome to borrow mine and try them out .

You hunt from a stand so I would go for the heavier barrel as you wont be humping it through the woods all day .

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have been reading a lot about the Ruger American riffle, everything so far looks like it will be a great rifle for a very good price. Wally World stocks them in .243, .308, ,270, and my favorite, 30-06. Nice rifle for about $350.00. I am still kicking myself for not earlier picking up a Ruger Gunsite bolt .308. I will get one very soon, will be a nice gun to have just in case...

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a Remington 700 in 30-06 I got from the Chantilly gun show. I probably will never go hunting. It was an impulse buy for my birthday. Let me know if you would be interested in it. It's a Custom Deluxe BDL with Leupold 4-12x40 scope. I have 182 rnds I will let go for cheap with the R700 too.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    For a bolt gun, I opt for a Remington 700. I cant comment on current Freedom/Cerebus owned Remington 700's though. Mine are from the 90's.

T/C Encore if you want versatility, and the challenge of one shot-cant say Ive had to take too many follow up shots on a deer- usally one shot is all it takes anyways.

If you want a further challenge, get an Encore in a pistol form, in a deer caliber.

If you want another caliber - just buy a barrel, instead of a whole new gun - they interchange in just a few minutes.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I have a Remington 700 in 30-06 I got from the Chantilly gun show. I probably will never go hunting. It was an impulse buy for my birthday. Let me know if you would be interested in it. It's a Custom Deluxe BDL with Leupold 4-12x40 scope. I have 182 rnds I will let go for cheap with the R700 too.

GREAT setup, I don't need it but you might want to advertise it with price.... someone will bite. It's ALL someone could ever want in this continent.

John81

Feb 7, 2012
    I prefer my savages I have them in 300win mag 30-06 223 and 17hmr they all have great accuracy out the box, I would take them over any brand

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    GREAT setup, I don't need it but you might want to advertise it with price.... someone will bite. It's ALL someone could ever want in this continent.

I guess I'll post it up in the classifieds. I don't want to hijacked the OPs thread but I just have a quick question. Do you think the rifle, scope, rings, ammo and a Remington scoped rifle case for $850 would be reasonable? Walmart has a BDL for $777. I figured ammo alone would be almost $180 and the scope and rings are about $250.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I guess I'll post it up in the classifieds. I don't want to hijacked the OPs thread but I just have a quick question. Do you think the rifle, scope, rings, ammo and a Remington scoped rifle case for $850 would be reasonable? Walmart has a BDL for $777. I figured ammo alone would be almost $180 and the scope and rings are about $250.

You DID say Leupold 4x12 scope didn't you? If I needed another 06 Id be on that gun, scope and ammo like stink on shit.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I'm looking as well. So far I'm looking at either a Tikka T3 Lite or Weatherby Vanguard S2 7mm .08 topped with a Leupold VX3 2.5x8mm.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Redneck find yourself a remmington pss ( not sps ) do a trigger job on it check and set the headspace if needed and you will have a 1/2 to 3/4 minute tack driver brother.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    OP: IF you're still looking for a bolt gun, a good friend of mine was at Bass Pro, yesterday, and picked up a Remington 700 SPS in .308 Win.
    It has a 4-12 scope mounted (Weaver type mount and rings) and bore sighted, and came w/ a plastic hard case.

IF memory serves me, he said $550.00 + tax.
    He said it was a close-out.

Looks nice!!!!! If I was in the market for another bolt gun, I'd grab that! ("I likes me some Remingtons!") :)

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I have a model 700 BDl (30.06), Cooper JGR (25-06) and Browning A-Bolt
    (.243) all of which see deer duty on an annual basis.

Folks have mentioned the A-bolts here, so let me throw out a plug for them. My Browning A-bolt is a 1995 vintage and the thing is an absolute tack-driver. One of the things I noticed about it early on was that it was free-floated from the factory and that it has what I consider to be a very nice, crisp, adjustable trigger. If you can find an A-bolt from that timeframe, you'd do yourself well to pick it up.

I love my Model 700 BDL too, which is about the same age. I just had it free-floated and the trigger taken down to 3lb. 2 oz. It was MOA to begin with, but I'm excited to see what it will do now with some 135 grain Sierra Match kings.

Let us know what you decide on.

Best,

ST.243

Last edited:

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I've been hunting with a Browning A-Bolt for 10 years'ish and I'm very happy with it. Probably more expensive than the run of the mill Remmy or Savage.

USN24

DoubleO7
    Oct 21, 2010
    Washington County
    I've been hunting with a Remington .270 Winchester. It's a great hunting rifle. You can also find them used. I also, have a Remington 7mm Magnum. Both are good for hunting. The .270's ammo is a little better on the wallet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom