• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lisa6821

Apr 1, 2013
    I understand that there has been a large amount of Whitetail killed on Eastern Shore due to a disease called EHD, is there any truth to this rumor

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Theirs truth to a lot of deer found dead.
    Whether its always biologically created or created by man I cannot accurately say.
    It happens always at the same time, the deaths are also not consistently geographically linked as far as I can tell.
    Many of them are always or nearly trophy quality or at least garner the most attention when they are found only.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I understand that there has been a large amount of Whitetail killed on Eastern Shore due to a disease called EHD, is there any truth to this rumor
    This is correct. However, EHD is pretty much a problem nationwide and there are outbreaks that occur rather randomly. Baiting deer only exacerbates the outbreak.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    We saw a few in Wicomico co. over the summer. They were not baited. Who baits during summer months anyway? Forage is plentiful

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    yes , the farmer we lease from said he has seen 25 bucks dead between the four farms he has picked . ( doesn't count does , they shoot them for crop damage ) . summerset co.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    We saw a few in Wicomico co. over the summer. They were not baited. Who baits during summer months anyway? Forage is plentiful
    Baiting for deer usually starts mid-August for the early Sept bow opener. I hunt the eastern shore and many many hunters start baiting end of Aug.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Herd density plays a role in the outbreaks. Baiting increases that density.
    There is no correlation between EHD and herd density except where the virus occurs, deer of that local will be susceptible. It is caused by biting midges, bred in stagnant water holes. It is more prominent during dry or drought periods when water sources remain un replenished with fresh cooler water, but exists, to some extent, anywhere there is stagnant water.

I have witnessed EHD in very lightly deer populated areas where they are not 'baited'. It is not like CWD in any way.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    There is no correlation between EHD and herd density except where the virus occurs, deer of that local will be susceptible. It is caused by biting midges, bred in stagnant water holes. It is more prominent during dry or drought periods when water sources remain un replenished with fresh cooler water, but exists, to some extent, anywhere there is stagnant water.

I have witnessed EHD in very lightly deer populated areas where they are not 'baited'. It is not like CWD in any way.
    As I said...

Lisa6821

Apr 1, 2013
    Is it predominantly, lower Easter shore? The individual I spoke with, told me its centered around Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, again it's a secondhand source.

Also, thanks everyone for the feedback.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Is it predominantly, lower Easter shore? The individual I spoke with, told me its centered around Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, again it's a secondhand source.

We've see some deaths on our property near Snow Hill, and also over in Princess Anne

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay

Thanks for the info Outrider! I was wondering where and how it gets transferred or infect deer.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    My son is a Wildlife officer in Tenn. He has been telling me about some deer disease there that is killing quite a few deer. It is spread he told me from deer saliva or from remains of a dead infected deer. They call it blue tongue which really isn't the true name. Deer dont get sickly looking like CWD . They crave water when infected and usually die near a watering hole he said. Their tongues turn bluish color.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Blue tongue and EHD are the same disease.

It's certainly here in southern Maryland. We've found big, healthy bucks dead in the creek with no injuries.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As I said...
    Baiting attracts deer. It attracts deer within a certain limited area. Those same deer will undoubtedly become susceptible to the virus if it exists in that area. It has nothing to do with baiting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Blue tongue and EHD are the same disease.

It's certainly here in southern Maryland. We've found big, healthy bucks dead in the creek with no injuries.
    They are similar viruses with similar symptoms. They are not the same virus though.

They run to water for the same reason they run to water when gut-shot. They go to water to quell their fever caused by the virus, and in the case of gut-shot, the fever brought on by peritonitis, an infection resulting from a ruptured peritoneum.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I've witnessed it in both Howard and Montgomery counties. It tends to be not as wide spread the further west you get from the Eastern shores. I would guess because of the terrain.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    What little I know of this is that back in the day of check in stations I checked in 5-6 deer that I allowed the dnr dudes to “age” that I was told had hemorrhagic’s disease, and they told us it was also called blue tongue. We ate all but one because we were told if it had open sores inside not to eat it BUT we couldn’t get it nor could other deer get it because it was only transferred by mites that get exposed in drought years. They also told us it caused fever in the deer so that’s why most down here die near a water source.

I am sure the dnr guys could have been wrong but that’s the host of what they told us back then.

We didn’t see any sign of it this year though

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Been finding dead deer on the farm since mid August and suspect with the activity I've seen from eagles and buzzards there are plenty more. Deer harvest here is way down and one of the hunters has a trail camera to his phone and has seen so few deer he has not shown to hunt.

Heard second hand that the butchers are seeing fewer all over the shore and blaming HD/blue tongue

Would have to agree I do not think baiting has a thing to do with the spread of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom