• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    I would imagine a search on "field dressing deer" on youtube would comeback with some good results.

If you don't field dress how else are you gonna take a bite out of the heart of your first deer? :party29:

hakr100

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    I've apparently got some bears on my property in virgina who always field dress the deer they catch before they eat the rest of it. They don't seem to care much for the hooves, though, cause that's all I ever find.

Or maybe it isn't bears.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    before you use your rifle you need to check with DNR and make sure it is legal in the county you are hunting, the if you are on public land check Whit the controlling party to see if you can use the rifle on that land. some public lands have separate restrictions all thee own.
    The 50 BW will have little trouble taking a deer out to about 100 - 150 yards.

You need to field dress a deer as soon as you can for guilty of meat. and it does make it lighter to drag out. however if you are using a ATV to pull the deer out I would wait until you get close to your truck before you field dress it just to keep the inside clean. There are ways to butcher a deer with out field dressing it but theya re not easy and take a little time and practice to do.

Field dressing a deer is not that bad and I normally have it done with in 5 minutes or so. however I can not stand the smell of the deer as i am field dressing it. I solved this issue by; I have some of the dust mask or Sargon's mask and I put some Vick's vapor rub on the inside of the mask and put it on. the Vick's over powers the smell and it clears my nose as well :). I went to southern states and bouthgt a pack of shoulder length vet gloves and I use some rubber gloves under it. so when I am field dressing the deer I look like I am preforming surgery on it. But I do not gag and get blood all over my hunting clothing.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Worst is if the paunch is full and you shot the deer with 2 minutes of legal time left. So you are in the dark trying to feild dress with a flashlight LOL. If you aren't far from a lighted place where you can neck hang your deer, then it would be best to drag it intact and dress it out in the lighted place. Don't forget to attach the field tag to an ear or antler first though.

If you have a buck or piebald and want it mounted, use as short a gutting cut as you can, and leave the genitals and anus on the skin for a full mount. Also do not hang any deer you want mounted up by the neck. On a buck, hang the rope at the antler bases.

If anyone needs info on caping for both a shoulder mount and a full mount, let me know, as I have been doing taxidermy for many years and can skin anything. If you absolutely think you will screw up the caping/skinning, then take the whole field dressed deer to the taxidermist and have them skin it. I never charge for a first time caping. I always get the hunter to watch how I do it, so they will know what to do next time. I do charge for deer and bear full mount skinning though, it's a bit more involved, esp the bears.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    the best thing I have found for field dressing a deer at night is one of the hat lights.

this is a small led light that fits on the hat brim and lights up right in front of you. I got mine from walmart for about $10. I use it not only for field dressing the deer but for getting in and out of my stand in the dark and even going to and from it. it works great for lighting up my reflective strips and tacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom