• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to Frederick and looking to do some deer hunting this fall and winter but and vaguely familiar with the public hunting grounds in the area. This might be asking a lot of anyone, but would anyone be interested in taking a new guy like me along on a deer hunt this fall. By new guy I do not mean new to hunting, just Frederick. I have my MD Hunter's Safety Course and my own guns that I am very proficient with. I have been deer hunting with some friends on private land in the past in addition to a few bird hunts, but being new to the area I just don't want to go wondering out into the woods clueless to whats around. Any feedback would be appreciated as always, thanks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    green ridge state forest is only about 1.5 hours west of frederick. then new germany and savage river forests another hour or so west from there. not sure of how many deer there and how big, but thousands and thousands of acres of public hunting land.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Public lands- Frederick city watershed. I think its on Mountaindale Rd. Cunningham Falls State Park.

I used to hunt Cunningham alot. It was nice, just crowded during rifle season on Saturdays. During weekdays there were times I was the only one there.

Archery, if you haven't tried it opens up a lot of options.

camotruck

Oct 22, 2011
    Western MD
    You can go south in to MOCO or right on the fred co moco line on rt 28. I don't remember what the area is called but it's right there at the river.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I might be wrong, but I believe Monocacy NRMA (Monocacy River Natural Resources Management Area) does not allow rifles - only shotguns, muzzleloaders and bows.

Right you are. Technically it is still within the MoCo line, but that part of Frederick County is Shotgun only anyway.

Plus 1 for archery. Whole other world of possibilities not involving drunk dudes and high power firearms in the Watershed.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Hunting in Frederick

The Frederick water shed has 8000 acres. Cunninham falls has over 3000 acres. Its a substantial amount of land and has many access points.
    The trick is to get an early start and walk about 1/2 mile in. Most of the crowd never penetrates more the 200 yards. Let them move the deer to you.
    JMHO

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    The line reads all seasons and weapons. plus the other areas listed on this section of the website specifically call out bow, muzzleloader etc only but the river road area just says all seasons and weapons. so a rifle being a weapon is gtg

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    MD rifle borders

It seems to me the DNR regulations states that rifles can only be used in Garrret Allegany Washington and Frederick county (west of route 15 and north of route 70). Montgomery County is shotgun muzzleloader "ONLY".

Read the DNR hunting regulations !!

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearms-regulations/

Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.

I agree it does say that you can't use a rifle in Montgomery County, but if you read on it says "as follows," then spells out prohibited areas. Seneca Creek Park River road area does not fall in any of those restrictions. Maybe this is just my interpretation but it looks to me as though it would be ok to use a rifle.

Scrapdawg

Jan 10, 2011
    Frederick County
    I could be wrong but I think the as follows part refers back to the or in Worcester County. #2 and 3 refer to areas in Worcester. Best thing to do is call DNR and ask.

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Thanks again for all this info guys. I do have a slug-gun so I guess that is as good as it is going to get for me as far as weapons and land access. I don't bow hunt but I guess I should look into that huh. With that said, what do you all this is the best area close to Frederick for shotgun (rifle) season?

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Opening Day

If you are not going to do any scouting your chances are low.

My suggestion is to go to the monacacy wma.
    Enter at north end off parkmill road.
    Stay on the eastern side close to the boundry line and go in about a half mile.
    Wear plenty of orange as you will have lots of company.

Dawn to 9am stay still and dont fidget.
    If you have to move do it between 9 and 10 am.
    10am till noon stay still as this is when people start moving around.

JMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom