• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Yeah man.

My GrandPa had a farm in Suffolk that I grew up hunting and fishing on. His stories were pretty good. No hogs but stories of scraping by and cheating hunger and death from time to time.

Before he died, he said... "You know what's the matter with kids today? They don't even know what to be afraid of." That was 1976, shortly before his death

I can't imagine him looking around at society today.

Folks were tougher in the old days. They also had their survival instincts better tuned.

The only way I look forward to hog at my house is on a spit ir in the ground. Turns out, they're literally just over the big ridge maybe four miles away...

I'd prefer them to the denizens of downtown though. While them hogs are similarly lethal and without moral or ethical bounds, I can kill them without worrying about an article in the paper or arrest or lawsuit or marches on downtown. They're a recognized danger. They can be dealt with appropriately and without consequence. The other animals, not so much.

people aint what they were back then. my grand dads died in '71 and '74 and I cherish every memory. ever talk we had. every story. they both lived thru the first world war, the depression, the second world war, korea in their lifetimes. went from oxen pulling plows to tractors. from scullin boats to outboard motors. people came from near and far for their advice. I wish I got more of it.

anyway, shoot some hogs for me when they get there.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Farmer across the road from me had a beautiful crop of pumpkins growing almost ready to be picked. Drove by it one night and remarked to my wife how nice they looked. The next morning a herd of deer had gotten into them, not a one left that wasn't smashed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    I always find it humorous to read what people from states without hogs say about hogs....

Our hunt club was paid a bounty for hogs on the paper company's land due to damages done by hogs... we almost lost our lease one year because we were living our lives and didnt have time to hunt much that year....

Neighbor and I were paid to trap the hogs from a botanical park back in FL... tracked a monster hog back into some neighboring orange groves, the damage that pig did was tremendous...

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I always find it humorous to read what people from states without hogs say about hogs....

Our hunt club was paid a bounty for hogs on the paper company's land due to damages done by hogs... we almost lost our lease one year because we were living our lives and didnt have time to hunt much that year....

Neighbor and I were paid to trap the hogs from a botanical park back in FL... tracked a monster hog back into some neighboring orange groves, the damage that pig did was tremendous...

is it as funny as losing 100 acres to deer damage?

I let few people on my crop damage permits because they would rather "live their lives" then shoot 20-30 deer for me in the summer a piece, so I try to do as much damage to them myself as is humanly possible.

I find it funny that people whos livelihood doesn't directly rely on farming think they understand farming. I have seen nematodes destroy a thousand acres of land in a year (thank God it want my land) and they are microbial. to destroy crops doesn't take large animals.

if and when hogs get back here they will just be another pain in the ass but not nearly as devastating as the new desert weeds that are moving north that our chemicals cant control. theres a lot to worry about in farming, hogs are just one of them.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    This is a serious problem .

Estimated Louisiana Hog Population is 700,000 (from Article)

Population of Lousiana is 4.67 million

Area of Louisiana is 52,271 square miles

That averages out to 13.4 hogs per square mile and 1 per 6.7 people.

Texas's problem is out of control.

The link below describes the current situation in Virginia as it was Published March 31 2016 .

http://www.bayjournal.com/article/v...ials_to_go_whole_hog_to_eradicate_feral_swine

If they are not in Maryland yet, they will be soon.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is a serious problem .

Estimated Louisiana Hog Population is 700,000 (from Article)

Population of Lousiana is 4.67 million

Area of Louisiana is 52,271 square miles

That averages out to 13.4 hogs per square mile and 1 per 6.7 people.

Texas's problem is out of control.

The link below describes the current situation in Virginia as it was Published March 31 2016 .

http://www.bayjournal.com/article/v...ials_to_go_whole_hog_to_eradicate_feral_swine

If they are not in Maryland yet, they will be soon.

Md. would not survive such an incursion for very long.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Hogs or denizens of downtown?

Is there really that much of a difference?

If Md was wise(yeah, right) she would have laws already in place to deal directly and immediately with feral pigs.

Not positive, but I think I remember seeing a comment on here or another forum where where somebody was informed by DNR that hogs would be considered an invasive species and could be killed on sight.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There are no reproducing hogs in MD, just as there are no coyotes.

The are not invading and spreading from western PA.

No, sir, not at all.

But if you do see one, give it an injection of 150 grains of lead at 2500 fps.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    There are no reproducing hogs in MD, just as there are no coyotes.

The are not invading and spreading from western PA.

No, sir, not at all.

But if you do see one, give it an injection of 150 grains of lead at 2500 fps.

You need to get up to date on their claims. They may say we don't have hogs, but they've confirmed that every county has an established coyote population. They've even backed off saying there are no bobcats in western MD, although they've hesitated to say there is an established population. In their defense, there have been plenty of trailcam pics of bobcats, but I haven't seen any of hogs yet.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You need to get up to date on their claims. They may say we don't have hogs, but they've confirmed that every county has an established coyote population. They've even backed off saying there are no bobcats in western MD, although they've hesitated to say there is an established population. In their defense, there have been plenty of trailcam pics of bobcats, but I haven't seen any of hogs yet.

I forgot the :sarcasm: emoji.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    If anyone here has a problem with hogs, I bet many of us would be happy to offer to help eradicate them. Might even be able to use it as a fund raiser for a worthwhile charity, too! :thumbsup:

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member

Double that for pigs.

Have seen where a sounder decimated a 500ac vegetable field over a few weeks.... Neighbor, several friends and I had fun the last evening... and freezers full of pork.

You don't understand the damage the pigs do. They don't just eat the stuff above ground, they root and pull up the roots, your nice and neat rows will become a maze.

I personally miss all the opportunities I had for pigs, damned fun to hunt and good to eat... and sometimes generated funds for the house... But I do not feel that people are ready for the invasion... they may think they are..... hell with the complaints from people about deer eating thier rhodadendron, image when the whole yard is rooted up and those cherry trees toppled over....

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    If anyone here has a problem with hogs, I bet many of us would be happy to offer to help eradicate them. Might even be able to use it as a fund raiser for a worthwhile charity, too! :thumbsup:

Guy on another site has issues with yotes..... he has invited people to hunt it... and even advertised on fb..... he still has issues because of limited takers.... and yet, everyone wants to shoot yotes.... go figure

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Double that for pigs.

Have seen where a sounder decimated a 500ac vegetable field over a few weeks.... Neighbor, several friends and I had fun the last evening... and freezers full of pork.

You don't understand the damage the pigs do. They don't just eat the stuff above ground, they root and pull up the roots, your nice and neat rows will become a maze.

I personally miss all the opportunities I had for pigs, damned fun to hunt and good to eat... and sometimes generated funds for the house... But I do not feel that people are ready for the invasion... they may think they are..... hell with the complaints from people about deer eating thier rhodadendron, image when the whole yard is rooted up and those cherry trees toppled over....

Totally agree. Careful what you wish for.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD

I let few people on my crop damage permits because they would rather "live their lives" then shoot 20-30 deer for me in the summer a piece, so I try to do as much damage to them myself as is humanly possible.

I find it funny that people whos livelihood doesn't directly rely on farming think they understand farming. I have seen nematodes destroy a thousand acres of land in a year (thank God it want my land) and they are microbial. to destroy crops doesn't take large animals.

if and when hogs get back here they will just be another pain in the ass but not nearly as devastating as the new desert weeds that are moving north that our chemicals cant control. theres a lot to worry about in farming, hogs are just one of them.

Sir, I do not know the specifics of your problem or permit, but I have several friends that would all rather fill their freezers themselves than pay a butcher, and a couple just like to kill and donate to Harvest Share. I would be happy to discuss this privately if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom