Deer Creek Archery wants to set me up with this package. (How is it?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Matthews is the way to go, I have a Z7 Extreme and love it but the price tag can be hard to swallow.

Yea, the more and more research I do keeps sending me right back to Mathews. I think I'm going to go with a Mathews whether I get it from Deer Creek or some other place remains to be seen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Check out Stu's used Diamond, looks like a great deal.
    And I agree, there are fanboy's that swear buy a paticular brand. Ford vs Chevy...Don't fall for someone elses love affair of a particular brand.
    Try before you buy is my advice and there isn't anything worng with buying used, there are great deals to be had.
    If you are near Frederick County, check out Jefferson Archery also.

tindraz

Oct 25, 2012
    Forest Hill
    I am a fellow newbie. I purchased a wicked ridge crossbow from them for 499. They sighted in the scope and gave me some pointers using the indoor range downstairs. 4 hours later I had a dead 150lb doe ready for processing. Needless to say I like the joint!
    I am curious to see how well the service work is when the time comes.

OOOOPS... Autumn Sky Outfitters on route 1 is where I made the purchase. I went to Deer Creek once and I will not go back again.:thumbsup:

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Autumn Sky is a much better choice over Deer Creek for a local shop. Much better customer service, even if you didn't buy the bow from them. Like others have said go shoot a bunch of bows before you buy. You'll know the one for you when you shoot it.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I think the comment about George rubbing people the wrong way is a little understated. I can't stand the guy personally. He has a way of talking down to people when their opinion differs from his. Some people may feel the same about Len, but he has always treated me well. I have bought a number of bows from him.

As far as quality is comcerned....I personally feel that Mathews is where it is at. Hoyt's high end bows are also excellent. PSE also has made some leaps and bounds in the quality department since the take over. There are others, but I won't go into them right now.

Honestly, any bow that is comfortable for you to shoot and is set up right for you will do the job. Just pick one. Any archery shop that knows what they are doing will allow you to shoot several different bows in your draw length to see what is best for you.

Cis-Lunar

Jun 27, 2008
    and retrieve my projectiles appeals very much to me.

Remember that if you hit a tree, the ground hard enough, the game hard enough, or im sure a person hard enough, you will destroy SOME broadheads.
    This is especially true with expandables. In your situation i would look for good and solid FIXED blade broadheads. Something that can be reused and resharpened. They all will break eventually and the arrow shafts are certainly not forever either. Also, Fletching lasts one shot if it hits game the right way. If your using it for what appears to be "prepping" to me these are just some things to consider. You may be better off with a reliable 22 that can get you small to medium game and stock that ammo. Dont get me wrong i love bowhunting and its a great hobby too so go for it, but for the prepping reasons you may be better off with something else? IDK

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I would but a new bow and stay away from a used one. First off you don't know how the bow was treated, like if it was ever dry fired. And second you are still going to need to get that bow tuned at a bow tech shop. Your going to need to get the draw weight to the right length for you, the right amount of pounds that you can pull back without making a whole a lot of movement, and I would get the string replaced cause you don't know how old it is and if it was ever waxed. Now call one of those shops and ask them what it would cost to have all of those things done to a bow and add that to the cost of your used bow price. Bet it ain't much of a difference, so buy new!!

live2hunt72

May 17, 2012
    Don't get stuck on a particular brand, lots of quality bows out there. I would stick with used, although not the best for smaller businesses. If you decide to go new go to autumn sky or Lancaster and get set up perfect. Just like anything used you never truly know what you are getting, but there are companies like Elite archery that offer a fully transferable warranty.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    If your just getting a bow to target shoot and to use if S ever hits the F, then why not look at a longbow or recurve? They're really simple compared to a compound bow.

As far what bow to buy. I think Hoyt is best but Matthews are in the same class. The set up the guy at Deer Creek is trying to sell you is ridiculous for a beginner. But if you have the money to spend and are sure you'll enjoy archery. Go for it, its all top notch stuff.

I recommend buying a bow with a brace height over 7'', the higher the brace height, the more forgiving the bow. Most "speed" bows have a short brace height. Speed is great, but accuracy kills. Another thing to keep in mind is axle to axle length. A longer axle to axle bow will also be more forgiving since its easier to stabilize.

Accessorize your bow with quality equipment, no need to brake the bank. A good sight can be had for $40. You can also get a quality prong style arrow rest for the same price. Drop-away style arrow rests are nice, but cost more and can be a pain to tune since they are more complicated.

There are a few different types of release aids. Caliper style, which are can be had $25 and up. Back tension style, which are very accurate. And the one I recommend for you, your fingers. I actually recommend everyone practice shooting with just fingers. You never know when your gonna lose or forget your release aid.

As far as arrows go, don't go cheap, beginner or not. Cheap arrows suck. Especially cheap carbon arrows.

After you get your bow, learn how to shoot. Its not as simple as pulling the string back and letting go. It takes practice.

Len at Macrotech isn't known for being an easy going guy and does offend a lot of people with his personality but he is without a doubt one of the best in the business.

Good luck! Archery is very fun!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    First off, I am NOT an archery expert, but, I know a few people that are.

• Don't get roped into buying ________ bow. There are a LOT of good bows out there.

• Get 'fitted' for a bow. Draw length, etc.

• How old are you??? Are you going to 'grow' more??? Do you anticipate needing a longer draw length bow in the near future???
    (My son is still growing and we got him an easily adjustable bow.)

• What is your budget???

• What kind of $$$ can you get, selling this bow, if/when you need to/get tired of it???

• Is this just for 'flinging arrows' in the back yard, competition, or hunting???
    All three????

With that said, not too long ago, I bought a Mission "Venture" ($479.00) to shoot in my back yard, and fling some arrows, with my youngest son.

This bow does a great job at flinging arrows.
    I'm shooting aluminum (Easton XX75) arrows, and they fly very well, for what I'm doing.

All in all, I think I have $550, maybe $600 invested in my bow, sight, arrows, rest, release, quiver, field points, and an extra $50.00 tied up into a Morrell's bag.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I bought a leftover Fred Bear online for $199 last year and took it to Autumn sky to buy the accessories and get the draw length, and peep installed. Great group of guys up there. They dont really push you for anything and take their time getting you set up. Don't get caught up in the high end bows. Dont get me wrong they are nice but triple or quadruple the price of other bows for what?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    That price is a little high. You can either buy used or shop around for a better deal. As was said before, swing by Autumn Sky and price out a similar package.

The thing with buying used is setup is on you. This sounds like after getting lessons he has an "expert" fitting him up and setting everything up for him. Buy once cry once. Experience can be expensive when you keep buying the wrong crap till you get what you want. Is it a little pricey? Yes but it seems like a good package put together by someone who has worked with him saving him all the trail and error that comes with figuring it all out for yourself. Time is money.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Yea, the more and more research I do keeps sending me right back to Mathews. I think I'm going to go with a Mathews whether I get it from Deer Creek or some other place remains to be seen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Sgt Preston here...

Your local dealer has a vested interest in sizing the bow to you correctly via Draw Length & Draw Weight & selling you something that you will be happy with...

Similarly your arrows must have the correct spine to match your bow weight & draw length...

Matthew's makes a first class bow & George is a good mechanic & will keep it shooting for you...

George has been a Matthew's dealer for years, which is important if you do have a problem or just need service...

On the downside, (In my opinion) George tends to talk too much & tell you how smart he is & he is not known for "cheap" pricing...

However a reliable dealer close to you home is a real PLUS...

Autumn Sky (Rte #1 near 136) is also a very good dealer...

BTW Check out the Outdoor 3D Animal shoots at Vingt Neuf Bowmen, Tuesday nights, Honeygo Blvd in Perry Hall...
    They put out a lot of Animals & always have hot food available...
    My favorite shot is a 45 yard shot at a deer across their bass pond...
    It's a nice group of guys & club memberships are available...
    They also have a 20 yard 16 lane indoor range...
    For more info call Bob Woods at 410-746-3424...

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Sgt Preston here...

Your local dealer has a vested interest in sizing the bow to you correctly via Draw Length & Draw Weight & selling you something that you will be happy with...

Similarly your arrows must have the correct spine to match your bow weight & draw length...

Matthew's makes a first class bow & George is a good mechanic & will keep it shooting for you...

George has been a Matthew's dealer for years, which is important if you do have a problem or just need service...

On the downside, (In my opinion) George tends to talk too much & tell you how smart he is & he is not known for "cheap" pricing...However a reliable dealer close to you home is a real PLUS...

Autumn Sky (Rte #1 near 136) is also a very good dealer...

BTW Check out the Outdoor 3D Animal shoots at Vingt Neuf Bowmen, Tuesday nights, Honeygo Blvd in Perry Hall...
    They put out a lot of Animals & always have hot food available...
    My favorite shot is a 45 yard shot at a deer across their bass pond...
    It's a nice group of guys & club memberships are available...
    They also have a 20 yard 16 lane indoor range...
    For more info call Bob Woods at 410-746-3424...

Agreed, but he seems to mean well most of the time. A lot of places are high on the prices so he is not alone in that.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    The thing with buying used is setup is on you. This sounds like after getting lessons he has an "expert" fitting him up and setting everything up for him. Buy once cry once. Experience can be expensive when you keep buying the wrong crap till you get what you want. Is it a little pricey? Yes but it seems like a good package put together by someone who has worked with him saving him all the trail and error that comes with figuring it all out for yourself. Time is money.

Agreed, but buying used is an option, not the only option but one of many.

briwayjones

If you want the best experience and the most selection with great people and a no pressure atmosphere go up to Lancaster Archery.

IMO I would shoot more and shoot using difference styles before you get locked into an expensive setup. I would even suggest shooting a recurve for a while with no sights. There are too many people these days that get setup with a nice bow, release, with a scope and because they can hit the bullseye they think they are god's gift to archery. But if they have some kind of problem they wouldn't even begin to how to know how to diagnose it or figure out what's wrong. And if you take any one of their fancy toys away they can't shoot worth crap. Learn archery before you get an expensive setup and equipment that basically turns your bow into a gun.

Don't be afraid to buy used. In fact I recommend it at the beginning. Every bow shoots different for every person. You don't want to get stuck with an expensive setup before you know what kind of equipment you shoot well and what you don't.

Archerytalk.com is a great resource for information if you can get past the fanboys and egos on there also.

km04

Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    If you want the best experience and the most selection with great people and a no pressure atmosphere go up to Lancaster Archery.

IMO I would shoot more and shoot using difference styles before you get locked into an expensive setup. I would even suggest shooting a recurve for a while with no sights. There are too many people these days that get setup with a nice bow, release, with a scope and because they can hit the bullseye they think they are god's gift to archery. But if they have some kind of problem they wouldn't even begin to how to know how to diagnose it or figure out what's wrong. And if you take any one of their fancy toys away they can't shoot worth crap. Learn archery before you get an expensive setup and equipment that basically turns your bow into a gun.

Don't be afraid to buy used. In fact I recommend it at the beginning. Every bow shoots different for every person. You don't want to get stuck with an expensive setup before you know what kind of equipment you shoot well and what you don't.

Archerytalk.com is a great resource for information if you can get past the fanboys and egos on there also.[/QUOTE]

Very true...on both counts.

BJEOD33

Apr 10, 2013
    Aberdeen
    I personally shop at autumn sky, when I first moved here a co worker suggested Deer Creek to me. I took my 1300 dollar PSE setup in to him to have a slightly larger peep served in. First of all, I have a hard time taking anyone seriously when they are wearing the Team Matthews silk collared shirt thingy just because. Aside from that, the moment he got my bow in the vice he started taking shit about PSE and telling me that instead of getting a peep i should buy one of his mission bows, as "It will out shoot any PSE or Hoyt regardless of the price" I smiled, paid the man and started taking my bow to the boys down on route 1. Just my opinion, if you want to sell merchandise you shouldnt talk shit about the guys gear to him. Then again I'm not a salesman, just a dumbass soldier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom