Deer Creek Archery wants to set me up with this package. (How is it?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    So i took some lessons today for the first time at Deer Creek Archery. I picked it up pretty well and I liked it much more than I thought I would. It got me thinking that Archery would be a great hobby to start at this point in time given the cost of ammo currently. I'm also a bit of a prepper so having something that I can protect myself with, hunt with and retrieve my projectiles appeals very much to me.

Before I left, I asked the owner who is a very nice guy to price me up a beginners package that would get me started. I told him I wanted something decent with a lifetime warranty but I didn't need something top of the line either.

Here is the package he set me up with. Can I get some opinions such as the quality of the gear and if the price is right?

Bow -Mathews Mission Ballistic - $499
    Bow Hunter Package which consists of QAD Ultra Rest, Alpine Bear Claw Quiver, Axion MA-4 Sight and Axion 3" Stabilzer - $199
    1/4" Peep Sight with Custom Tied Loop - $30
    OMP Mathews 41" Bow Case - $69
    Scott Rhino NCS XT Bow Release - $119

Total Price $ 916

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have a lightly used bow, sight, release, arrows and target I would sell ya for 350...

Diamond Marquis 70# draw already set up... No case but otherwise a very nice bow.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Stay very far from George and his little band of cronies. I wouldn't spend someone else's money in Deer Creek. If you insist on staying local, check out Autumn Sky. If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, go see Len at Macrotech down in Brooklyn Park.

gaskg

Jan 5, 2010
    Forest Hill
    Stay very far from George and his little band of cronies. I wouldn't spend someone else's money in Deer Creek. If you insist on staying local, check out Autumn Sky. If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, go see Len at Macrotech down in Brooklyn Park.

Can I ask why? To stay away from Deer Creek? I was interested in checking them out as well since they have an indoor range

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Try a search on Archerytalk.com for beginner information. I purchased a package from Martin based on the Bengal model through Crosswind Archery about 4 years ago, case, quiver, silencer, compensator, rest and sight... Saved me a lot of study for a solid beginner platform and the price was very reasonable.

Don't forget to to add for some good arrows. Also a block or 3D target.

All in all the cost doesn't sound obscene, I like local shops or used, you owe it to yourself to visit other local shops and compare.

Darq1

Sep 8, 2012
    Ceciltucky Maryland
    I agree with Gordon. Buy used. You can pick up some pretty good deals prior to hunting season from those who feel they need the latest and greatest and are upgrading their kit. I stopped going to deer creek because I shoot Hoyt and he was constantly bad mouthing my choice and touting how much better Mathews were. I also have to say $119 for a release for a beginner? $30 for a peep site? Looks like George hasn't changed his ways. Throwing money at this sport won't make you better. Practice will. You're biggest expense in the beginning will be arrows. Have you made a choice on those? You will lose and damage them in the beginning and they dont last forever if you shoot a lot. Will you go with aluminum (they bend over time or with bad shots). Carbon (can shatter when firing if damaged sending shards into your forearm). Hybrid aluminum/carbon (expensive). Feathers or vanes? Pre -made or are you going to fletch them yourself. I always brought raw carbon shafts and fletched them wIth feathers. I'm not trying to discourage you, but there's a lot more that goes into this than taking the advise of the guy who in reality is really only concerned about his bottom line. I went through three bows before I ended up with the fourth which I'm very happy with. Best advise I can give is find a place where you can try before you buy.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011

Why do you say that? Like I said, I don't know much about anything. I ended up at Deer Creek because I purchased a Groupon. I do gotta say though, his 3D range is pretty damn cool.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I agree with Gordon. Buy used. You can pick up some pretty good deals prior to hunting season from those who feel they need the latest and greatest and are upgrading their kit. I stopped going to deer creek because I shoot Hoyt and he was constantly bad mouthing my choice and touting how much better Mathews were. I also have to say $119 for a release for a beginner? $30 for a peep site? Looks like George hasn't changed his ways. Throwing money at this sport won't make you better. Practice will. You're biggest expense in the beginning will be arrows. Have you made a choice on those? You will lose and damage them in the beginning and they dont last forever if you shoot a lot. Will you go with aluminum (they bend over time or with bad shots). Carbon (can shatter when firing if damaged sending shards into your forearm). Hybrid aluminum/carbon (expensive). Feathers or vanes? Pre -made or are you going to fletch them yourself. I always brought raw carbon shafts and fletched them wIth feathers. I'm not trying to discourage you, but there's a lot more that goes into this than taking the advise of the guy who in reality is really only concerned about his bottom line. I went through three bows before I ended up with the fourth which I'm very happy with. Best advise I can give is find a place where you can try before you buy.

I forgot what arrows he said he was going to set me up with but they are showing up on the price quote as VIC 350 Crested for $119.

After doing further research it looks like I will be going used. I do like Deer Creeks range though and it's close to where I live.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Mission is a quality bow, I have a Maniac from a few years ago. Not sure about the hunter pkg price, but seems high. Release price is too high. Need to add arrows and a target block. Have you shot that model? Shoot as many different bows as possible before you decide.

I live about 15 -20 mins from Macrotech, and while Len knows his stuff, he's an ass often, I'll drive an hour to do business with Jefferson Archery outside Frederick. Great people to do business with.

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    If its not a HOYT then don't even waist your money. Matthews is second but Hoyt is like colt to bushmaster imo

I've shoot at the worlds archery tournament in pa many times. I always use an old hoyt ultralight xt. Try one before you buy anything.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If its not a HOYT then don't even waist your money. Matthews is second but Hoyt is like colt to bushmaster imo

I've shoot at the worlds archery tournament in pa many times. I always use an old hoyt ultralight xt. Try one before you buy anything.

So you're saying Mathews is the Bushmaster and Hoyt is the Colt?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    "Fanboys" There's a good bit of difference in engineering and manufacturing a modern sporting rifle to work properly and a piece of machined aluminum, plastic and string. I don't believe there to be much differences outside of personal quirks, ie, draw cycle, handshock, how the bow feels, balance, etc. All are going to be different for different people. All of the big name bows will deliver an arrow on target repeatedly if you do your part.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Deer creek will push Mathews no matter what youa need. You also wouldn't find me buying a biw from Macrotech myself. Take a day and drive up to Lancaster Archery and get set up right.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

tindraz

Oct 25, 2012
    Forest Hill
    I am a fellow newbie. I purchased a wicked ridge crossbow from them for 499. They sighted in the scope and gave me some pointers using the indoor range downstairs. 4 hours later I had a dead 150lb doe ready for processing. Needless to say I like the joint!
    I am curious to see how well the service work is when the time comes.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I wouldn't buy a pack of gum from "Len" at Macrotech. And George is ok, but does have a way of rubbing people the wrong way. I have been into archery for years and am a huge Mathews fan. Autumn sky is ok, and Jefferson is a nice shop as well. Like others have said, shoot as many as you can before you buy.

Make sure it feels comfortable!

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    That price is a little high. You can either buy used or shop around for a better deal. As was said before, swing by Autumn Sky and price out a similar package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom