• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I currently have 3 suppressors (.22, 9mm, & 30 cal). I use my SDN6 on my 300blk SBR, and sometimes on my 5.56 SBR.

Part of me wants to get a dedicated can for my 5.56, the other part of me thinks it's a waste of money. I know the standard answer will be "Just buy it", but I would really like to know what you guys would do if you were in my position. Is $577 + $200 tax stamp (AAC M4-2000) worth it when I already have a can I can use on the gun? The July deadline is the only reason I started thinking about this.

Just looking for honest opinions.

Thanks.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    For me I think it comes down to how often you are switching the can from one platform to another and how hard it is to switch. All of my cans are in ATF jail right now so I don't have direct experience. But I have been having the same thoughts with the July deadline looming. I do plan on having mounts for both my 300blk and 5.56 SBR's so it should be easier to switch between the two. For now I decided to just wait on the dedicated 5.56 can. I really don't have the spare money to go the dedicated route.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    You could buy one or you could build one (cheaper but heavier). If it is a Home Defense firearm I would recommend having a dedicated can for it. That way if the need arises you won't bust your eardrums discharging indoors without ear protection.
    If it is a range firearm, suppressor is a want more than a need.

Disclosure: I own 3 commercial cans (.22, 9mm, 5.56), built 1 can (.45), building 2 more (.30, .22).

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I currently have 3 suppressors (.22, 9mm, & 30 cal). I use my SDN6 on my 300blk SBR, and sometimes on my 5.56 SBR.
    Part of me wants to get a dedicated can for my 5.56, the other part of me thinks it's a waste of money. I know the standard answer will be "Just buy it", but I would really like to know what you guys would do if you were in my position. Is $577 + $200 tax stamp (AAC M4-2000) worth it when I already have a can I can use on the gun? The July deadline is the only reason started thinking about this.

Just looking for honest opinions.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat, kinda... My suppressor plan has always been 1 (30cal can), 1 (5.56 can), 1 (.45 can) and 1 (9mm can) so 4 cans total in my collection. My thinking is that I won't be over burdening any of my cans. I could buy 1 (.45 can) and a 30 cal can and be done with it, but if this is supposed to be a onetime purchase I would buy 4 to spread the work load/round count out. I say go for it, I am halfway there and after I'm done, I'm done.... Plus you won't have to constantly switch suppressors (at least not as much). There is a bit of weight and length savings in the 5.56 can too.

Side note I just got a M4SD II for testing, like the mounting system, it's really plug and play and keeps things affordable opposed to buying a bunch of mounts.

Make sure you get the Form4 mailed out ASAP! My last stamp took 3 weeks just to cash the check, probably not going to go pending for another 3 weeks or so.. Keep that in mind, the deadline is 7/13 with a pending form..

My goal is:

AAC SDN6 (own)
    Surefire Ryder 9ti (purchased/pending)
    TiRant 45M (waiting at the shop for me $$)
    AAC 556SD (in NFA Form3 limbo)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I bought a m4-2000 after hear 1 on a friends ak in 5.45x39 was way impressed with it !!!

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I say yes, if you can get one that is a big enough performance jump (size/weight) from the SD6N.

I really want to get a Spartan 3 (12.5oz) direct thread. Its $445 through Powered by SilencerShop. I currently have a Trek TM dedicated to an 11.5 and it gets more action than the quiet 300BLK.

I imagine if you do any dynamic shooting either of these options will be better than a 24oz SD6N+mount.

The M4-2000 with a mount is 21oz. Juice ain't worth the squeeze for 3oz...

Good luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've got a 5.56(first can), a 30 cal. can and a 9mm can in jail. I tend to think that if I had bought the 30 first, I might have skipped the 5.56. Being as I have both now, I like the fact that I can shoot two suppressed guns on the same range trip without the hassle of changing out a scalding hot can in the midst of the trip. I only want one more for my collection-a .22 can. Then I'm done.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I am going to skip the 556 can and just build a 30 for those 7.62 caliber rifles that I have and the 556/223's. I will build a 45 suppressor with the next stamp instead.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you for all the comments so far. Changing my current suppressor from my 300blk to my 5.56 is not an issue as they both have AAC 51T brakes on them. The only issue is when I take them both to the range. I always have to wait until the suppressor cools down before swapping rifles (First world problem, I know.)
    I just don't want to regret not pulling the trigger. I have a trust, and can get it done now without the hassle of fingerprints etc. My wife thinks I should spend the money on ammo. Although I don't disagree with her and have enough to get me through the next year or two, purchasing more ammo is never a bad thing. Decisions, decisions...

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    I think about this all the time. I picked my cans to cover the most ground with the three: just picked up an Omega 762 and a Mask, and still have an Octane 45 in lockup.

But now I start thinking crazy...should I get a 9mm, what about a dedicated 556, maybe file a couple of Form 1s...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you for all the comments so far. Changing my current suppressor from my 300blk to my 5.56 is not an issue as they both have AAC 51T brakes on them. The only issue is when I take them both to the range. I always have to wait until the suppressor cools down before swapping rifles (First world problem, I know.)
    I just don't want to regret not pulling the trigger. I have a trust, and can get it done now without the hassle of fingerprints etc. My wife thinks I should spend the money on ammo. Although I don't disagree with her and have enough to get me through the next year or two, purchasing more ammo is never a bad thing. Decisions, decisions...

Lol! $1000 buys a lot of ammo! I like my 30 can better than my 5.56 can and am in the process of buying a 5.56 brake/QD mount to go on my 20'' 5.56. Like you said, decisions, decisions...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How much quieter is a 5.56 can on a 5.56 than a 30 cal can on a 5.56?
    If not significant, just seems like a 30cal can is more versatile
    I shot my 30cal Can on my 5.56 and it sounded like a 22. I was using reloads clocked at 2700fps.
    I was thinking of filing for a 5.56 form 1 DIY can but not sure its worth it or not. MIght just get the stamp anyway.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I dont think its something I would buy unless you really want a smaller suppressor package.

^ This. My Saker556 is *BY FAR* my least used can. Consider getting another 30cal can instead? Maybe an Omega (light!) to complement your SDN6.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    ^ This. My Saker556 is *BY FAR* my least used can. Consider getting another 30cal can instead? Maybe an Omega (light!) to complement your SDN6.

The only problem with this it the mounts... It's hard to switch mounts when you already have 600-1k invested in a particular manufacturers mounts....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I got a 5.56 can before a .30 cal. I shoot way more 5.56. My new .30 cal can ( Omega) uses the same ASR mount as my 5.56 (Specwar) so I can easily switch the around.

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    For my first can I picked up a 556 can. While waiting I bought a .30 cal can , .22 can and just yesterday stopped down Engage to get some engraving down and noticed they had the Ti rant .45M in stock. So I pulled the trigger( so to speak lol) and purchased it. All bases are now covered but all cans all are still in NFA jail.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The only problem with this it the mounts... It's hard to switch mounts when you already have 600-1k invested in a particular manufacturers mounts....
    There is someone on arfcom who made adapters for the Omega to take the MAAD mounts. So a 51t is possible.

ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    I was never going to even consider a can because I just didn't see the benefit. Then Chad happened.
    After going to the range with him and seeing him swap 1 can between multiple guns I became a believer - fast. One stamp, one can - almost every gun.
    I'm down with that so while I will not make the July deadline, I am trying to get one before our next POTUS takes office. I'll just have to buy the piston kit for my 2 hand guns and several muzzle adapters for my rifles but HECK YEAH!
    As for you situation where you own so many I figure buy the one that can be used on other guns now. It's never too late. Plus, the time is coming where they won't be allowed. Get 'em while you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom