• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    If there are not 5 solid votes to rule in favor of the 2A, I would rather see them do what they did. Denying cert is not the same as taking the case and deciding in favor of CT (even though the media likes to play it up as being the same thing - SCOTUS rules even go so far as to advise the circuits that denial of cert is a non-precedent setting action). The latter creates binding precedent that applies to all circuits. Denying cert only applies to the 2CA. If they had accepted cert and the case had fallen to a tie vote, the ruling in 2CA would stand AND binding national precedent gets created.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    So is SCOTUS denying 2A cases on purpose? So that they can wait to have 9 justices and a majority ruling.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So is SCOTUS denying 2A cases on purpose? So that they can wait to have 9 justices and a majority ruling.

That's also part of what's confusing me. From my simple view, it appears we've had some interesting cases that could make a difference but I guess the court does not think so.

The other thing is that I think, again from my limited perspective, that this court has a strong tendency to let the states shake out a lot of things for themselves.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The other thing is that I think, again from my limited perspective, that this court has a strong tendency to let the states shake out a lot of things for themselves.
    I would tend to think that this is probably more likely. The SCOTUS doesn't take many 2A cases - Heller was a landmark and should really have set the tone for the future of gun ownership except for 2 things:

1.) Scalia conceded the licensing bit for DC.
    2.) Scalia is no longer around to be able to say, "that's not what that means at all," when dipshits and libtards stretch what it says to parse out a different meaning to suit their purposes.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If there are not 5 solid votes to rule in favor of the 2A, I would rather see them do what they did. Denying cert is not the same as taking the case and deciding in favor of CT (even though the media likes to play it up as being the same thing - SCOTUS rules even go so far as to advise the circuits that denial of cert is a non-precedent setting action). The latter creates binding precedent that applies to all circuits. Denying cert only applies to the 2CA. If they had accepted cert and the case had fallen to a tie vote, the ruling in 2CA would stand AND binding national precedent gets created.[/QUOTE]

The last part (in bold) is incorrect. A 4-4 tie leaves the lower court decision standing, but does NOT create binding SCT precedent, one way or the other. See, e.g., Neil v. Biggers, 409 U.S. 188, 192 (1972).

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    If there are not 5 solid votes to rule in favor of the 2A, I would rather see them do what they did. Denying cert is not the same as taking the case and deciding in favor of CT (even though the media likes to play it up as being the same thing - SCOTUS rules even go so far as to advise the circuits that denial of cert is a non-precedent setting action). The latter creates binding precedent that applies to all circuits. Denying cert only applies to the 2CA. If they had accepted cert and the case had fallen to a tie vote, the ruling in 2CA would stand AND binding national precedent gets created.

The last part (in bold) is incorrect. A 4-4 tie leaves the lower court decision standing, but does NOT create binding SCT precedent, one way or the other. See, e.g., Neil v. Biggers, 409 U.S. 188, 192 (1972).

Thanks for the correction! Glad to learn that.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That's also part of what's confusing me. From my simple view, it appears we've had some interesting cases that could make a difference but I guess the court does not think so.

The court shouldn't be viewed as taking cases to correct what they view as mistakes. Their function has become to resolve lower court splits, on some rare occasions like Caetano where the lower court goes off the rails they will intervene. Very rare cases come along where there's no split but the issue is just a one of a kind all important one like Bush v gore. I think 80 or 90 percent of the cases they hear involve a split among the lower courts.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    The court shouldn't be viewed as taking cases to correct what they view as mistakes. Their function has become to resolve lower court splits, on some rare occasions like Caetano where the lower court goes off the rails they will intervene. Very rare cases come along where there's no split but the issue is just a one of a kind all important one like Bush v gore. I think 80 or 90 percent of the cases they hear involve a split among the lower courts.

That's probably true, and a good point. However it does allow for a play pen for the lower courts to run amok, sort of like what we've been seeing.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That's probably true, and a good point. However it does allow for a play pen for the lower courts to run amok, sort of like what we've been seeing.

I think for most other cases the lower courts generally follow SCOTUS but the 2A has been put in a class all by itself and has gotten lip service almost every case.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    this is why quite a few states have signed up to do a constitutional convention, because SCOTUS has run amok...

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads