• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    So my graduation present is going to be a revolver of my choosing :party29: I'm looking to use it for ICORE, IDPA and USPSA. Not sure what to go with though! Any opinions for most all around wheelgun? I've been eyeing the S&W 686 SSR, but also looking at the 625. I have little experience with revolvers, only have an inherited S&W .357 magnum back home that's fun to shoot turtles with (it's a mid-west thing)

Thanks!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    All of the cool kids at the national championships were running 686s with clips. I personally run a Ruger GP100 in IDPA since my S&W 610's barrel is too long for IDPA.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Of the two you listed, the 686 SSR. The 686 SSR is medium frame. The 625 is large frame and, as you probably know, requires moon clips. You'll probably need big hands for the 625 to be comfortable.

If it helps, I've been mulling the idea for a few months of buying a new S&W revolver. Easily my top choice is the 686 SSR, enough so that I checked on availability and pricing last week.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    If it helps, I've been mulling the idea for a few months of buying a new S&W revolver. Easily my top choice is the 686 SSR, enough so that I checked on availability and pricing last week.

Are they available, or another victim of the election year psychosis?

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The 625's are great firearms. I don't think you would be disappointed with one but all the revolvers you mentioned have a great track record. The 686 does have the economy advantage by being able to shoot .38's but if you're knocking down steel then .45 probably has the edge in that category.

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Definitely looking into the 686 SSR, found one pretty well priced too. Since I'll be shooting mostly IDPA I'm sticking to a 4" revolver. For SSR reloads, what kind and where should I look for moon clips?

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    If you plan on shooting ICORE, IDPA and USPSA then get a 4 inch 625. This will let you shoot ICORE in the Limited Division, IDPA in ESR and USPSA Revolver division. If you plan on only ICORE and IDPA then a 686 SSR would be ok. ICORE in the Classic/Retro division and SSR in IDPA. You can shoot USPSA with an SSR but you would be handicapped without moonclips and would be probably by power factor unless you put full .357 mag in it. You could have the cylinder machined to use with and without moonclips but the 625 reloads so much faster.

Walt

EurAzn12

Mar 29, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    If you plan on shooting ICORE, IDPA and USPSA then get a 4 inch 625. This will let you shoot ICORE in the Limited Division, IDPA in ESR and USPSA Revolver division. If you plan on only ICORE and IDPA then a 686 SSR would be ok. ICORE in the Classic/Retro division and SSR in IDPA. You can shoot USPSA with an SSR but you would be handicapped without moonclips and would be probably by power factor unless you put full .357 mag in it. You could have the cylinder machined to use with and without moonclips but the 625 reloads so much faster.

Walt

Very good breakdown, thank you!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Are they available, or another victim of the election year psychosis?

Yes, local distributors had a bunch available when my FFL called while I was standing there. Price is reasonable. $825, IIRC. For now with handguns, the psychosis mostly applies to popular semi-autos.

rundownfid

May 3, 2010
    I understand that this is a graduation present and that cost isn't much of an obstacle. However, the Model 19 and 66 in 4 " are excellent value for money. They are lighter and probably quicker in consequence. Of course they are lighter and therefore have slightly ore recoil in consequence. I have not shot SSR for a few years, but when I did the K frame guns ruled. They are not available new and therefore S&W doesn't pay their top guys to shoot them, but most everyone else was using them 3-4 years ago. I can't believe the L frame is really any better?? I shot them to Expert, (ya I can't do math well enough to stay sharpshooter), and can testify that a K frame with a good trigger is about as good as it gets. I have a 625, but rarely ever shot it, although for USPSA it is pretty much the gun to have. I found it too big and clunky, but it doesn't seem to slow Jerry down appreciably!

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA

Walt

I'm not really a revolver guy but what he says here is the right way to go about it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You could go with a 4" 610 and shoot .40 S&W out of it. Less recoil, cheaper ammo, and when you're feeling manly, load it up with 10mm Winchester Silvertips.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Walt

Great response Walt.

Funny you should ask this question today, because last night I was watching a pistol tournament where Jerry Miculek was down in points going into the last stage and having a bad day when it started to rain; the refs covered the targets with plastic bags and the ground was a mess. Jerry shot his best round on the last series and came back to win. I hope I'm 1/4 as good as him when I'm his age. Anyhow, point of the story is that all the top placing competitors were using the same revolver.

http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom