• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Hello, I want to shoot at Elk Neck State Forrest Range. I have an AK, an AR, and a few other milsurp semi & bolt action rifles. Are there any legal restrictions on what I can shoot there?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you owned the AR and AK before Oct. 1, then yes you are legal. If you owned them after Oct 1, then they are not.

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    So how does the Oct1 law affect a resident from another state coming into MD for shoot?
    For whatever it may be worth...I tried to get a definitive answer to that question....and After a half a dozen calls to the msp license div I got a sgt barnes(sp?) who told me that out of state residents are fine as long as weapon was owned prior to oct1....and advised that I should carry a receipt/Bos or something to date it as being in my possession prior to oct1.... And said "just don't break any laws and you should be fine".... Lol

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So how does the Oct1 law affect a resident from another state coming into MD for shoot?

Post-9/30/13, MD laws does two things:
    1) Bans sale of them to MD residents.
    2) Bans the general public from bringing them into MD (and therefore possession) if purchased after that date.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

The law states it is illegal to bring any banned firearm, purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013 into the state.

So an out of state resident, bringing in a banned firearm purchased on or after Oct 1, 2013 would be subject to arrest, confiscation of the firearm, jail time, and loss of the right to possess firearms and to vote.

That is how it affects a resident from another state.

If you are just passing through, you are OK, as long as you comply with the transport requirements under FOPA.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So would this mean that - if party A, a resident of a free state, now in 2014, legally purchases from party B a resident of the same non-MD free state, an AK made and purchased in 2012 outside of MD in a free state, party A cannot move from a free state and bring the AK into MD and register it as a move in, but party B could have brought the same gun in from a free state and registered it as a move in had he not sold it to party A?

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    Well I have been shooting milsurps at the state range for several years. I probably couldn't find my old purchase rcpts if I needed them. Here is another loop to consider. My nephew (SC resident) active duty USCG. He has a bunch of semi-auto milsurps (my sis still is DE). Every time he's home, he wants to get with me and shoot at the Elk Neck range. He has a SC CC permit and a Federal carry permit, because of his job. He is concerned about MDs goofy laws. As far as I'm concerned, we should both be OK, shooting at the range. We don't do anything illegal.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    So would this mean that - if party A, a resident of a free state, now in 2014, legally purchases from party B a resident of the same non-MD free state, an AK made and purchased in 2012 outside of MD in a free state, party A cannot move from a free state and bring the AK into MD and register it as a move in, but party B could have brought the same gun in from a free state and registered it as a move in had he not sold it to party A?

Yes, I know I feel so much safer....:sad20:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Kafka smiles down from where ever it is that he is. MD's laws are now like an Escher drawing. What seems simple is not, you may not be where you think you are, and you may not be able to get there from here, or you might, but you'd be upside down.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    For whatever it may be worth...I tried to get a definitive answer to that question....and After a half a dozen calls to the msp license div I got a sgt barnes(sp?) who told me that out of state residents are fine as long as weapon was owned prior to oct1....and advised that I should carry a receipt/Bos or something to date it as being in my possession prior to oct1.... And said "just don't break any laws and you should be fine".... Lol

Doesn't that sound like you are calling a police department in Mexico? "Carry a receipt or something". In other words, carry something to show you are legal, otherwise we will treat you as a law-breaker until you prove otherwise. Maryland's laws more and more mirror those of Third Word countries, so the results, as you just heard on the phone, are no surprise.

Oh, by the way, remember that an entire family, on its way home to Florida during the Xmas break was harassed to no end on I-95, in Maryland, on the suspicion they had a gun in the vehicle. Backup was called and the family was held up for two hours in different police cars. Remember that story before you venture here with guns. Only criminals come here with guns. The law-abiding should think twice.
    Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom