• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    It is a major problem with many retailers these days. Employees know its happening, the see it in front of them and they are all but helpless to stop it. Walmart prohibits any employee other than AP or salaried management to even follow anyone seen shoplifting. You are allowed to provide " aggressive customer service ", basically being overly friendly in an attempt to make them uncomfortable but that is all. If you do manage to get a manager to respond, they have to personally see the theft take place, regardless of what the employee saw, before they can take action. Even then, they have to wait until the shoplifter passes the last register and before they cross the sidewalk. After all that, they wont make an apprehension anyway. I guess these stores are more afraid of a lawsuit than they are of losing a million plus dollars of merchandise annually per store in many cases. This is the world we live in.

rgdguns

Feb 21, 2016
    The state subpoenas the victim and the victim tells the state to screw itself.

I’m ok with that.
    Even worse than that is why they subpoenaed them. They are wanting to take action against Cabelas and then threw a temper tantrum when they would not provide records from all stores in the region. Jennings needs to read the 5th Amendment and then go cry in a corner.

Blaserman

MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2023
    Dundalk Md
    Inside job.
    When you have bad management and Cashiers that don’t do their jobs
    Buy cases of shells and don’t look in the box to see what actually is in the box
    They don’t sell cases any more. You can buy 10 boxes but not a case of shells in one box
    Everything is behind the counter now with their own cash register.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    MEDIA EXAGGERATION TO SUPPORT THE LEFT'S POLITICAL ANTI-GUN NARRATIVE..

half a million rounds at 20/box would be 25,000 boxes stolen.. at 50/box it would be 10,000 boxes stolen.. That would be a couple pallets of ammo! I fail to see how that could go unnoticed.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

Missing, stolen ammo case regarding Cabela's returns to Del. Superior Court​

Seven months after beginning an investigation into how Cabela's, the sporting goods store in Christiana, lost about half-a-million rounds of ammunition, the Delaware Attorney General's Office gets a favorable court ruling.

Cabela's sought to move the case out of Superior Court, but a federal judge has rejected that appeal. Attorney General Kathy Jennings hopes the state court will enforce a subpoena to seek more information about ammunition that was shoplifted from the store, where it was kept within reach on the sales floor. Ammo has since been put behind a sales counter.

Jennings hopes to determine if Cabela's violated any laws. She said investigators believe at least 500,000 rounds of ammunition were stolen from the store in less than a year, and some were sold to violent criminals and drug dealers in Delaware and Pennsylvania.

“I’m grateful to the Court for its ruling and glad that Cabela’s legal games continue to be unsuccessful,” Jennings said Wednesday in a statement. “Almost a year into this investigation, Cabela’s is still evading basic questions and trying to hide the truth. Every round of ammunition that walked out of that store is capable of ending a life, and Cabela’s apparently casual attitude about that fact raises serious questions about just how pervasive their issues were. Gun dealers need to take reasonable steps to prevent gun violence — we are still waiting for evidence that Cabela’s did. We’re looking forward to stating our case in Superior Court.”

The DOJ highlighted a portion of Judge Richard Andrews' order stating that Cabela's and other respondents "do not describe any issue of federal law Plaintiff must win to prove any element necessary to the enforcement of the subpoena." Judge Andrews also awarded legal fees to the state, saying that Cabela’s “lacked an objectively reasonable basis for removal. None of Respondents’ arguments come close to meeting Grable (a court case). It should have been obvious that the [Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act] does not apply to this case as there is no qualified civil liability action. It is clear the Fourth Amendment argument would be a federal defense and not the basis of federal jurisdiction. There was no basis to remove the case. I therefore grant the State’s request for reasonable costs and fees.”

Fed District Court Denial (attempt to move case to Fed Court) from Richard Andrews

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    "Jennings hopes to determine if Cabela's violated any laws."

I'll paraphrase; "We will continue to harass the victim, without naming the statute violation we are investigating, we will compel them to produce evidence and testify against themselves."

What part am I missing?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Make theft of ammo a felony and prosecute it.
    If it is found out where 500000 rounds grew legs with few enough perps hauling it off, it likely is a felony already by $$$$ count of the thefts.

But I agree. Lessen the $$$$$ amount necessary to be a felony and lock up the perps.
    Sadly, I know of perps who goy popped for theft of actual firearms who got 10 year sentences, 3+ years suspended, and eventual probation which brought time served down to around 3-4 years.

Sadly it all amounted to a slap on the wrist for the level of danger to society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom