DC resident shoots, kills 13-year-old boy, says teen was breaking into cars: police

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    One of my old bosses told me of a similar situation that happened about 50 years ago. He was in his early twenties; he had just finished college and had a civilian job with the Army. He had his own apartment in Virginia and had recently purchased a handgun for protection. One night, he heard some noise in the back of the appartment and observed someone trying to steal a radio out of his car. My boss retrieved his firearm and fired a round at the thief. The thief was not hit and dropped the radio and ran away as fast as he could. Someone in the appartment building called the police. The police officer came out and interviewed my boss. He asked my boss if he had heard any gunshot. My boss denied hearing anything but said that he did see someone trying to steal a radio from his car. The police officer walked around the car and noticed the radio and where the round had hit the fence behind the car and ran his finger over the hole but said nothing. The police officer asked my boss if he wanted to file charges for the attempted theft. My boss said that the thief had dropped the radio and did not see a need to file charges. The policeman said that maybe your neighbors just heard a car backfire so I am going to close out this call.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    From what I read, the guy has not been charged . He was also was performing CPR on the bad guy. Point being, there may be more to the story.
    Just cause the cops haven't charged doesn't mean the AUSA isn't chomping at the bit to file charges.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Just cause the cops haven't charged doesn't mean the AUSA isn't chomping at the bit to file charges.
    Reporting these days is terrible. I'm thinking that there is more to this story. Maybe the good guy confronted the bad guy, a conflict arose, things turned bad, and he had to shoot. I dunno, but I think that there are aspects that we have not heard yet.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It's oftentimes less a matter of would an individual officer and/or his supervisor would recommend charges but whether the prosecutor wants to make his street cred for higher office by wanting to prosecute. A lot depends on exactly what happened and how and whether it's reasonably defensible or not.

A lot of gutless prosecutors would take it to the Grand Jury and let them decide whether to return an indictment. That way the prosecutor can claim it wasn't his decision.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    From what I read, the guy has not been charged . He was also was performing CPR on the bad guy. Point being, there may be more to the story.
    If I'm the self-defense shooter, I'm not sure I want to put myself in a prone or vulnerable position to do CPR on the assailant. In this case, the accomplices fled, but they could easily come back armed for revenge. What I'm doing here is a reload, and I'm holding at the low ready for other threats. If some other bystander wants to do CPR, that's fine. I'm not doing it because of the risk it would pose to myself. I'll reholster once police arrive on scene, but not before.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Give him a medal. He just single handedly put a stop to 15-30 years of criminal acts.
    Or he was going to get arrested shortly, face a year or two in juve and turn his life around.

The point is, can't know and unless things change, theft doesn't rate capital punishment in the US. Nor should it.

Yeah, he might have erased a career criminal who was going to go on and kill someone in a few days, weeks, months, or years later. But plenty of former juvenile offenders that DO turn their life around.

Or do we just institute capital punishment for all crimes now no matter how minor or major and whether someone is convicted or just suspected?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    No charges yet. Like others have said, there may be more to the story. How about the shooters employment?? Maybe he has powerful connections, he is in DC ya know. Likely has a gov job, maybe even works for POTUS, who knows.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    No charges yet. Like others have said, there may be more to the story. How about the shooters employment?? Maybe he has powerful connections, he is in DC ya know. Likely has a gov job, maybe even works for POTUS, who knows.
    It is interesting that more information hasn’t come out on this yet. Eventually we’ll know, but it does strike my curiosity that we don’t know very much now.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Well people are so fed up with this stealing and other stuff. The man stopped many more thefts in the future Im sure by putting an end to him. Thing is the man will be punished and charged for this and sure his life could be ruined. Not to say other lawsuits and threats from the boys family and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom