• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Update.... Just got my approval letter today. So it took from 10/6/17 - 1/27/18 to get approved. Someone who applied at the same time I did is still waiting.

Was this your first time applying? Or had you been denied in the past? I re-applied for the 3rd time on 10/5 and received my permit approval 1/6/18. Either they were processing prior denials first or just screwing with you.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Update.... Just got my approval letter today. So it took from 10/6/17 - 1/27/18 to get approved. Someone who applied at the same time I did is still waiting.

Looks like you are #2 after Klunatic. Glad they weren't dropping you down the list at each query.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    Was this your first time applying? Or had you been denied in the past? I re-applied for the 3rd time on 10/5 and received my permit approval 1/6/18. Either they were processing prior denials first or just screwing with you.

I had applied before. I also became a DC certified instructor in between and still I had resistance.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    At least you don’t have to bring the actual gun to be registered there anymore like they had me do 2 years ago...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep DC's partial loss in Heller III fixed that.

IIRC the mandatory law course was struck as well

Not to be confused with the 2 hour law course for CCW.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The safety course and the law course were 2 different things IIRC. The safety class is still required. The law class is not required for registration by virtue of being struck down in Heller III

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    So after an hour of getting bounced back and forth between 2 offices, I walked out with my permit and 3 Firearm registration cards. Another heads up, the permit is valid for 2 years from when your training was completed. Don't know where that came from, but that what they said and gave me. Since I am a DC instructor, they said all I had to do was show a recent shooting qualification to satisfy the training. So I showed them my cert. I did for renewing my MD creds in July. So now my permit expires in July of '19. What a joke.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That's kinda funny since IIRC the web page says prior military service meets the training exemption.

From the instructions:

The 2nd is from the referenced DC Regs 2336.3. I see no other exemption requirement if you submit a DD214.

Attachments

• dc1.jpg
      dc1.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 120
    • dc2.jpg
      dc2.jpg
      17.8 KB · Views: 131

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    That's kinda funny since IIRC the web page says prior military service meets the training exemption.

From the instructions:

The 2nd is from the referenced DC Regs 2336.3. I see no other exemption requirement if you submit a DD214.

They also say hunting licenses, and NRA courses, but I bet they wouldn't be able to tell you what of those specifically qualifies. It all comes down to it being entirely at their discretion outside of the official MPD courses.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Well the DD214 is specifically mentioned. The NRA course may not be.

swinokur,

I was told by Ofc. King that they weren't accepting any training past two years old and that included my DD214. That's why I signed up for and took the MSAR course back on Jan 6 - 7. I emailed a copy of my certificate to Ofc. King that Sunday night. Monday morning He sent my application to the Chief's office for final approval.

HTH

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, the regs certainly don't state that, and it doesn't surprise me, but I bet some early applicants were allowed to use them.

I'm not spending any more money to get a permit if mine is denied. I'll wait on National Reciprocity if that happens.

As usual, the lack of clarity or specificity is typical for this bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom