• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I got a potential client who needs to have a database recovered off a windows box that he does not have the password to. I am pretty sure I could do it, but I don't have a ton of time to be messing with it. He says the server is probably a windows 98 and if I had to guess, the DB might just be a access db, but I don't know.

Anyone in the DC suburbs do anything like this? The guy is located in DC.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Se my PM about creating an Ubuntu live flash drive. That's all I use to grab stuff off of FUBAR'd computers for friends and family. Works like a charm.

A bigger USB (I use 8gb) will give him room to grab a crapton of stuff once running the Ubuntu OS.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    There is a global password for Access to see the tables. I'll have to dig some old docs up, but I know it exists. Or, it's something like that...

Try this: To bypass the startup options and go directly to the Database Window to edit
    any of the database objects, press the <SHIFT> key down, then open the
    database and continue holding the <SHIFT> key down until the database is
    completely open.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Where is the Database located ? If the data is stored physically on the computer in DC it should not be a problem to copy and retrieve the data . Now if it is on a server somewhere around the world your SOL depending on the security of the server. If I had the time to do it I would Ghost the drive, hook it up to another computer and go from there . A 98 boot disk and using X copy should get you the data you need . Whether or not you can open it is another problem.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Thanks for the reply all. I might write him a proposal to try the linux livecd method. If he makes it worth my time, I will give it a shot. THanks all. If i can't get it, I will refer him to one of these companies.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Se my PM about creating an Ubuntu live flash drive. That's all I use to grab stuff off of FUBAR'd computers for friends and family. Works like a charm.

A bigger USB (I use 8gb) will give him room to grab a crapton of stuff once running the Ubuntu OS.

Windows '98? That's ancient. That machine probably wont even boot off of a USB device; you'll probably need to make a Live CD and then mount the USB.

I used a Kingswin USB to SATA/IDE adapter to recover some data from a crashed machine last week. It was a little slow but very straight forward.

Spec4

Expert Rifleman
    Sep 22, 2009
    Carroll County
    put the hard drive in a working machine and use the free version (google for 5.5.1) of Easus data recovery wizard. I was able to recover all of my
    data from a completely hosed ntfs disk....over a year's worth of SQL server scripts.

pm me if you need more info.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Windows '98? That's ancient. That machine probably wont even boot off of a USB device; you'll probably need to make a Live CD and then mount the USB.

I used a Kingswin USB to SATA/IDE adapter to recover some data from a crashed machine last week. It was a little slow but very straight forward.

That's what the dude thinks it is. Fortunately, the db is pretty small. Maybe 6 columns and ~5000 rows. Names, dates, and a location designation. Its a non revenue DB too.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I got a potential client who needs to have a database recovered off a windows box that he does not have the password to. I am pretty sure I could do it, but I don't have a ton of time to be messing with it. He says the server is probably a windows 98 and if I had to guess, the DB might just be a access db, but I don't know.

Anyone in the DC suburbs do anything like this? The guy is located in DC.
    There is way too little information to go off of here. For instance we don't know:

-- Is it the database he doesn't have the password to, or the windows computer?
    -- What type of database is the database? Is it SQL Server, Access, etc?
    -- Is there additional authentication for the database?
    -- Is the database actually located ON the computer, or is it access through that computer and physically residing on a server?

From my perspective the easiest way to get to that database would be to remove the hard drive from the computer itself, put it in a USB encloser, and simply copy it off of the drive that way. The hard disk just becomes storage at that point and you don't need passwords to get to the data, unless of course there is encryption on the whole drive, which then makes it another matter entirely.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Sorry guys -- don't mean to jump in but I just saw this post. If you get me more information I most likely can assist. A line of duty injury ended my LE career with Baltimore County in 2009. While at the county I specialized in the digital part of the investigation that facilitated the crime (computer, cell phone, etc.). I'm a certified computer forensic examiner and now work with a 3 letter federal agency. I also own my own side business and do work for several attorneys working both criminal and civil cases. I have my own licensed copies of EnCase, FTK, etc. and all of the equipment needed to collect digital evidence from nearly any device. I can provide my CV if needed which details my experience and training or you can obtain a copy from my website.

www.realforensicanalysis.com

Rich Peacock
    Real Analysis, LLC

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry guys -- don't mean to jump in but I just saw this post. If you get me more information I most likely can assist. A line of duty injury ended my LE career with Baltimore County in 2009. While at the county I specialized in the digital part of the investigation that facilitated the crime (computer, cell phone, etc.). I'm a certified computer forensic examiner and now work with a 3 letter federal agency. I also own my own side business and do work for several attorneys working both criminal and civil cases. I have my own licensed copies of EnCase, FTK, etc. and all of the equipment needed to collect digital evidence from nearly any device. I can provide my CV if needed which details my experience and training or you can obtain a copy from my website.

www.realforensicanalysis.com

Rich Peacock
    Real Analysis, LLC
    Hmmmm - where were you a year or so ago when I really could have used some forensic analysis on an iPad? Long story short, I had someone go through a lot of personal stuff on my iPad - they never owned up to it, but I was able to partially reconstruct web emails they had opened via the URL window, even though they had wiped the history. If you are casually interested, let me know and I'll detail it out in a PM.

to the OP, Rich here is your man - there probably isn't much that he can't recover off of a computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom