• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    Received my email invite last night for the "build your own" feature. Anyone here done this?............... What would you build?...... I am new to the A/R platform and with Sb281 this is probably my only one.

Thanks

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you really want to build your own, you should buy everything in pieces and put it together yourself. You will save money and everything on the rifle is something you really wanted. Not to mention, building your own AR gives you a good amount of knowledge of how the rifle operates. It's also fun in itself.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Just remember you will get a ffl build fee tacked on to total price . I think it was 180-195.
    ObsceneJesst is correct you will gain knowledge by building one IF YOU can locate the parts needed right now at a reasonable price. That is the only catch .

If it was me , I would build one with DD. but then again is am biased I am waiting for my completed build .:D

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Received my email invite last night for the "build your own" feature. Anyone here done this?............... What would you build?...... I am new to the A/R platform and with Sb281 this is probably my only one.

Thanks

If you can only have one I think you are fine buying it. Building is fun, but there is something to be said for a factory weapon.

I think there is a tax on complete rifles that is 10% so the cheaper the build the better.

I haven't used DD's builder, but if I was building my one and only rifle I'd get a middy with an A3 upper and a troy rear flip sight. The ergo hand grips are pretty nice if they offer them, and if you think you are going to hang crap off the rifle it is best to get a free float rail installed (I think DD has the contract for the military rail so their stuff must be decent).

Later on get yourself a nice SSA or SD-3G trigger, with the cost of ammo now-a-days you might as well make the most out of it.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    If you can only have one I think you are fine buying it. Building is fun, but there is something to be said for a factory
    Later on get yourself a nice SSA or SD-3G trigger, with the cost of ammo now-a-days you might as well make the most out of it.

Or have them install one in your build , they did not have them instock when I did my build .

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    I own a DD M4, absolutely one of the best quality AR's I have seen so far other than an LWRC.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Yea. DD is definitely good quality. Their free float rails are some of the best on the market. The only thing bad I've ever read about DD is that their trigger on their parts kits is really bad. I know it's a stock trigger but from what I've read it is extra gritty. I don't know if that's the same one they use in their factory rifles but either way you will most likely replace the trigger.

Have you checked to see if other companies had builders? Other top quality companies are Noveske, Larue and BCM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If you really want to build your own, you should buy everything in pieces and put it together yourself. You will save money and everything on the rifle is something you really wanted. Not to mention, building your own AR gives you a good amount of knowledge of how the rifle operates. It's also fun in itself.

I'm not so sure anymore about saving money buying everything separately. Shipping costs add up if you have to make 10 separate purchases to get your parts, add in people overcharging for things like bolt carrier groups that are in low supply, plus the cost of the tools to do the job properly (if you don't borrow them or have someone else assemble it), and you would be hard pressed to save money. Maybe 4-5 years ago before dealers started pricing thier rifles low enough to make home building less of a "deal". Especially in the case of DD where they install their rails at the factory. Trust me it is a time-consuming job and something you probably don't want to do or pay a gunsmith to install! :D

Now, if you want a very specific configuration, you will save some money and hassle by not having to remove and later sell/trade unwanted components.

Also, just because you assembled an AR doesn't mean it was done correctly. As a gunsmith I'm always advising people to be cautious. Please make sure the headspace is gauged, and have a gunsmith, armorer or someone who really knows these rifles look it over before you shoot it if you do decide to build it yourself.

Building an AR is a rewarding and fun experience. I think of it as a financing plan, I will get a lower, and over a year or so buy the parts as I can afford them or as the parts become available. I'm not really trying to dissuade anyone from trying a build, just advising anyone who cares to read this of the pitfalls, and urging due diligence when it comes to safety!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yea. DD is definitely good quality. Their free float rails are some of the best on the market. The only thing bad I've ever read about DD is that their trigger on their parts kits is really bad. I know it's a stock trigger but from what I've read it is extra gritty. I don't know if that's the same one they use in their factory rifles but either way you will most likely replace the trigger.

Have you checked to see if other companies had builders? Other top quality companies are Noveske, Larue and BCM.

They also use a notched hammer (at least they were when I last saw a new one 6 months ago) which is reason in and of itself to consider swapping out the FCG.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'm not so sure anymore about saving money buying everything separately. Shipping costs add up if you have to make 10 separate purchases to get your parts, add in people overcharging for things like bolt carrier groups that are in low supply, plus the cost of the tools to do the job properly (if you don't borrow them or have someone else assemble it), and you would be hard pressed to save money. Maybe 4-5 years ago before dealers started pricing thier rifles low enough to make home building less of a "deal". Especially in the case of DD where they install their rails at the factory. Trust me it is a time-consuming job and something you probably don't want to do or pay a gunsmith to install! :D

Now, if you want a very specific configuration, you will save some money and hassle by not having to remove and later sell/trade unwanted components.

Also, just because you assembled an AR doesn't mean it was done correctly. As a gunsmith I'm always advising people to be cautious. Please make sure the headspace is gauged, and have a gunsmith, armorer or someone who really knows these rifles look it over before you shoot it if you do decide to build it yourself.

Building an AR is a rewarding and fun experience. I think of it as a financing plan, I will get a lower, and over a year or so buy the parts as I can afford them or as the parts become available. I'm not really trying to dissuade anyone from trying a build, just advising anyone who cares to read this of the pitfalls, and urging due diligence when it comes to safety!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

The build in working on now is made of parts purchased in the past two months. I was patient and purchased everything at retail price from the distributor. Not a single part was purchased from one of these price gougers. I had to purchase one tool which was a Armorer tool for $15. I did buy some others such has a lower vice block but I really didn't need it. I'll be doing two more builds after this one though. In the end, I really do think half the fun is finding and buying the parts, doing the research and then putting all the pieces together. I will never purchase a complete AR again knowing how much more fun it is to build yourself. Again, this is assuming you have the time to research the parts and wait for them to come back in stock.

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD

I also have a stripped lower on order from Engage and looking forward to a future build. The "only" part of my message was meant for a complete rifle purchase.

Just remember you will get a ffl build fee tacked on to total price . I think it was 180-195.
    ObsceneJesst is correct you will gain knowledge by building one IF YOU can locate the parts needed right now at a reasonable price. That is the only catch .

If it was me , I would build one with DD. but then again is am biased I am waiting for my completed build .:D

Did not know about the add on fee. I guess that will add to the $1700-$1900 my builds are coming out now

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville

My factory dd trigger breaks like glass, its just stiff...

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I also have a stripped lower on order from Engage and looking forward to a future build. The "only" part of my message was meant for a complete rifle purchase.

Did not know about the add on fee. I guess that will add to the $1700-$1900 my builds are coming out now

Damn. Does that $1900 include optics?

flintstone

Jan 1, 2013
    Perry Hall MD
    Complete lower w/Geissle SSA Trigger
    A4 Upper
    16" light weight barrel 1.7 FSP
    AR15 Light Rail

This is one of the highest priced builds I'm considering. Not F***ing cheap AT $1890 but I guess you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Complete lower w/Geissle SSA Trigger
    A4 Upper
    16" light weight barrel 1.7 FSP
    AR15 Light Rail

This is one of the highest priced builds I'm considering. Not F***ing cheap AT $1890 but I guess you get what you pay for.

I am currently in the process of building that exact same rifle. Only thing different is the trigger. I am using a ALG trigger that cost about $150 less. Anyhow, it cost me $1650 to build this rifle.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I am currently in the process of building that exact same rifle. Only thing different is the trigger. I am using a ALG trigger that cost about $150 less. Anyhow, it cost me $1650 to build this rifle.

I like the ALG trigger more than the SSA. The first stage of the SSA feels like pulling a GI trigger after the hammer has dropped, which messes with me to no end lol.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom