• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mouzzer

Nov 10, 2012
    Calvert
    Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post up a couple pictures of my recently completed SBR build. When I was gathering up all the parts and attempting to make a decision on which Duracoat color I wanted to use I found little to no images of the Danial Defense FDE color. It is my hope that anyone else out there who might be searching the web to get a better idea of this Duracoat color finds this. Or if anyone has any questions about Duracoat in general feel free to ask. Feedback on the build is more than welcome, Thank you all.

ARcompleteprofile.jpg

ARcompleteside.jpg

One side note about this specific Duracoat job. The amount of hardener you use makes a HUGE difference in the out come of the color. Even in the Shake n' Spray kits you can have a significant variation of color depending on how hard you work to get every drop of hardener out. Again please let me know what you all think, thanks.

mouzzer

Nov 10, 2012
    Calvert
    Nice looking gun. How much does it run to have the upper and lower coated?

The few shops I could find quoted me between $275 and $400. So I decided to do it myself. It cost me about $50 total for supplies and shipping. If you'd like to get it done let me know I'd be more than happy to help you do it. Shockingly easy process.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The few shops I could find quoted me between $275 and $400. So I decided to do it myself. It cost me about $50 total for supplies and shipping. If you'd like to get it done let me know I'd be more than happy to help you do it. Shockingly easy process.

Thanks. Did you buy a complete kit or just supplies as needed? What did you use to spray the coating?

mouzzer

Nov 10, 2012
    Calvert
    Thanks. Did you buy a complete kit or just supplies as needed? What did you use to spray the coating?

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=929

That is the link to there 'Shake n' Spray' kit. I've used that and bought just the duracoat paint and reducer separate as well. If you are only planning on doing 1 gun I would definitely suggest you go that route. The sprayer that comes in that kit is very good. Duracoat sprays incredibly even and smooth as well. So long as you do your prep right it is damn near impossible to mess up. They also have EVERY color or pattern combination you could imagine. Hell, there are four or five FDE's alone (Magpul FDE, Daniel Defense FDE, Leupold FDE, Grey FDE etc.)

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post up a couple pictures of my recently completed SBR build. When I was gathering up all the parts and attempting to make a decision on which Duracoat color I wanted to use I found little to no images of the Danial Defense FDE color. It is my hope that anyone else out there who might be searching the web to get a better idea of this Duracoat color finds this. Or if anyone has any questions about Duracoat in general feel free to ask. Feedback on the build is more than welcome, Thank you all.

ARcompleteprofile.jpg

ARcompleteside.jpg

One side note about this specific Duracoat job. The amount of hardener you use makes a HUGE difference in the out come of the color. Even in the Shake n' Spray kits you can have a significant variation of color depending on how hard you work to get every drop of hardener out. Again please let me know what you all think, thanks.

Very nice. Just asked about it in the rifles forum.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=929

That is the link to there 'Shake n' Spray' kit. I've used that and bought just the duracoat paint and reducer separate as well. If you are only planning on doing 1 gun I would definitely suggest you go that route. The sprayer that comes in that kit is very good. Duracoat sprays incredibly even and smooth as well. So long as you do your prep right it is damn near impossible to mess up. They also have EVERY color or pattern combination you could imagine. Hell, there are four or five FDE's alone (Magpul FDE, Daniel Defense FDE, Leupold FDE, Grey FDE etc.)

I saw your specs in the rifles section, that upper and lower are spikes, did they come unfinished? Or do you somehow strip the current finish?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Looks good. I think I'm going to Cerakote an 870 I have that keeps getting surface rust on it. I was going to send it out to have it done, but for the price quotes I'm getting (~$200), I'd rather just spend the $30 on the Cerakote and try it, myself. I've read prep is everything.

mouzzer

Nov 10, 2012
    Calvert
    Prep is definitely everything. I have never worked with Cerakote but I am sure its very similar to Duracoat. Just take your time on the prep and do light even coats. Post pics when your done! Im always looking for visual references to Duracoat/Cerakote colors

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom