• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyndi59

I think security guard is different than a special police officer..a security guard has no police powers,cannot make an arrest nor carry a firearm or handcuffs.A special police has limited police powers yet cannot carry a work issued handgun from the work location except from one site to another only even though we are granted a licnese issued by the chief of Police..we get crapped on at times by both the police and general public,security guards are non-commissioned as to where S.P.O's are.I'm sure a D.C. police officer would say the same.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I hope they change those stupid laws.. There is a segment at the Wilson bridge that is part of DC..Even with a CCW ( MD and Va) there is still a possibility of breaking the law.

Going around areas of Nova, PG and Montgomery County.. it is very easy to stray into DC with a CCW . This is an issue for those that are legally carrying firearms.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    By agreement, DC police patrol the Potomac under the bridge and MD LE covers the bridge itself. As stated it's a very short piece of the bridge, but DC wouldn't cover it anyway. Just an FYI.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I think security guard is different than a special police officer..a security guard has no police powers,cannot make an arrest nor carry a firearm or handcuffs.A special police has limited police powers yet cannot carry a work issued handgun from the work location except from one site to another only even though we are granted a licnese issued by the chief of Police..we get crapped on at times by both the police and general public,security guards are non-commissioned as to where S.P.O's are.I'm sure a D.C. police officer would say the same.

Your right in your assessment as to the difference now tell your counter parts to stop smoking weed while driving or allowing their guns to get stolen and the SPOs won't have such a bad rap :)

I've been on three separate SPO accidental discharges this year.

Oh and if you tell Cathy that you all are capable of doing property and writing tickets on private property the police wouldn't hate dealing with you guys anymore :)

Cyndi59

Hi mpdc4511,I guess the drug testing is worthless as we submit once a year..and yes,thinks a few companies will hire weed smokers which makes it harder on us who don't.The last company I worked for supposely had a service weapon(s) walk and they lost their weapon permit from S.O.M.B. .As for the discharging of weapons,I assume do to recklessness..as the weapon is holstered before and removed at shift change,most only fire a weapon on the range once a year and that makes for accidents to happen.I've been a S.P.O. since 1993 and has never had one mishap and has never had to remove my service weapon once secured in a holster.As for tickets..has had after hours called DPW who sent a scout over,wrote the ticket on two vehicles and I signed the ticket book to have them towed..that officer was truely a good officer.(I do have one vehicle who parks in the rear with a dead (2 years at least)expired sticker but never removed and only ticketed for fire lane infraction..the officer ran the MD plate and not stolen,just wondering how they have not been pulled over as my area is covered by secret service,mpd,u.s.park?I'm over in the 2d sector.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hi mpdc4511,I guess the drug testing is worthless as we submit once a year..and yes,thinks a few companies will hire weed smokers which makes it harder on us who don't.The last company I worked for supposely had a service weapon(s) walk and they lost their weapon permit from S.O.M.B. .As for the discharging of weapons,I assume do to recklessness..as the weapon is holstered before and removed at shift change,most only fire a weapon on the range once a year and that makes for accidents to happen.I've been a S.P.O. since 1993 and has never had one mishap and has never had to remove my service weapon once secured in a holster.As for tickets..has had after hours called DPW who sent a scout over,wrote the ticket on two vehicles and I signed the ticket book to have them towed..that officer was truely a good officer.(I do have one vehicle who parks in the rear with a dead (2 years at least)expired sticker but never removed and only ticketed for fire lane infraction..the officer ran the MD plate and not stolen,just wondering how they have not been pulled over as my area is covered by secret service,mpd,u.s.park?I'm over in the 2d sector.

Yeah, I'm quite a bit away from you and your living the good life uptown :) I'm in 6D. Yeah if a vehicles is on private property you all have to sign the ticket or its no good thats why I think you all should get ticket powers on whatever property your covering at the time. Thankfully our SPO's generally don't bother us with this kind of stuff they are usually pretty good about that. A few of our stores have Loss Prevention guys that are certified through SOMB and since they don't know how to process arrests my guys on minnesota ave are always locking up shop lifters.

Cyndi59

Some Friday nights are a pain in the rear due to the bar life for young ones to up chuck their insides out since they deem not able to control their intake of drink or get froggy and want to fight..a few might make it to the holiday inn holding cell.As for the vehicle..parked every now and then in the back alley and public,I agree with the infraction book and should it pass..it should be a classed with basic classroom along with questions asked from the handbook.I got out of loss prevention years ago (safeway),most classroom instructors don't bother going into writing up arrest reports or going thru the process of arrest..guess they figure it's not worthwhile.I think it would be a good thing to see S.P.O's and S.G's lose their rights if they cannot do the right thing and MPD officer's discrestion to retain their card if it's not already done that way and their case reviewed by S.O.M.B. board.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Does the phrase C-security to engineer sound familiar to you cyndi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom