• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Has anyone had any experience with these Mausers? SOG says they're in good overall condition, and I've recently been interested in acquiring some type of Mauser rifle. I've also read that most of the ones in 7MM Mauser are usually beat up with not so good bores. I'm not really looking for something really pretty, just a little project that I might be able to clean up and maybe have an okay shooter. I'm also curious about the 7x57 Mauser caliber. I've got a C&R, and the price at $159.99 has me interested. Thanks guys.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I wasn't impressed with my 8mm VZ24. It had no finish left on the gun and the stock was rough. I haven't really been impressed with anything I've gotten from SOG, even when paying handpick.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I couldn't say. Both cartridges are about the same "class", along with .30-06. Recoil is very, very subjective in any case, and things like stock design make a big difference. Also shooting position (prone, bench, offhand).

I do a lot of position shooting (mostly Garand), and I wear a cheap shooting jacket with a recoil pad ( http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16135&cat=249&page=1) and I can shoot Light Ball from a Mosin, prone position, without the recoil bothering me at all. Likewise M2 Ball (150 grain .30-06) from a bolt action 03-A3, the recoil is but a loving caress. M2 is similar to 8mm Mauser, but probably a bit softer shooting, because I think the 8mm uses heavier bullets. I don't have an 8mm.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Has anyone had any experience with these Mausers? SOG says they're in good overall condition, and I've recently been interested in acquiring some type of Mauser rifle. I've also read that most of the ones in 7MM Mauser are usually beat up with not so good bores. I'm not really looking for something really pretty, just a little project that I might be able to clean up and maybe have an okay shooter. I'm also curious about the 7x57 Mauser caliber. I've got a C&R, and the price at $159.99 has me interested. Thanks guys.

7x57 is a sweet cartridge, recoil is not bad at all with a heavy gun like the vz 24. feel free to ask me any questions, I have or have had alot of mauser variants

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks aquaman. I've gotten interested in the 7x57 Mauser cartridge recently, as well as the Czech vz 24, Brazilian 1908 Mauser and the Chilean Mausers. If you had to suggest one, which would it be?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Thanks aquaman. I've gotten interested in the 7x57 Mauser cartridge recently, as well as the Czech vz 24, Brazilian 1908 Mauser and the Chilean Mausers. If you had to suggest one, which would it be?

Do you care about the cost of ammo? as stated 7mm mauser is expensive because there is no surplus left. In regards to Brazil, those guns can be ruff because of improper storage/cleaning etc.

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I think I saw that Samco has some 7MM surplus for sale, can't be sure or not. It's too bad that most of the Mausers from South America aren't in great shape. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good one.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I think I saw that Samco has some 7MM surplus for sale, can't be sure or not. It's too bad that most of the Mausers from South America aren't in great shape. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good one.

thats the first I have seen in awhile, but then again I really havent been looking. Grab ALOT now that way you have it. you have a PM on a vz 24

captainstashu

Jan 26, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    recoil

Mausers are not in the category of mosins when it comes to recoil.

Mausers are much smoother and tamer shooters. 8mm is really nice after a mosin, and 7mm is just a joy to shoot froma mauser.

VZ smake great shooters when cleaned up. You may also check out some of the latin american mausers. They were mostly made in Germany. Spanish mausers are also OK but not up to the German or Czech quality.

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks Captain, I've recently been interested in 7mm Mausers, whether it be Brazilian, Chilean, or the Czech ones in that caliber. I'm on the lookout for a 7mm Czech vz 24 when I get the funds. When you say that the Mauser is not in the recoil category of a Mosin, do you mean less or more recoil?

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Really? I always thought the 8MM round had more recoil.

IIRC, new US made 8mm Mauser is downloaded from the military specs used in the K98k. Something about people using Gew.88's and safety.

I've seen basically two types of surplus 8mm Mauser out there lately. The Romanian and the Yugo. The Romanian ammo has a lighter weight bullet than the Yugo.

Using surplus '50's Yugo in my K98k's can leave my shoulder sore if I'm shooting from the bench. However, shooting from a standing position, off hand, I have no problem with the recoil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom