• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dre271

Dre
    Oct 9, 2011
    Howard County
    I pulled an old CZ24 shooter out of the safe tonight and I realized that the handguard screw hole is stripped. The threads on the screw appear to be fine. Does anyone have any solutions, there is not enough metal left in the hole to rebuild the threads. Anyone have any modern solutions? I am searching for small helicoil inserts and Loctite Form-A-Thread repair kit...

Attachments

• IMG_3327.jpg
      IMG_3327.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 201

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Here's something to at least consider as a possible option.

I haven't actually done it, so I can only give you theoretical advice, but "J B Weld" (a two-part epoxy that you should be able to find at a hardware or auto store) is supposed to harden up to the point that you can put threads in it with a tap. I've used the stuff for a variety of things, including a "temporary" patch on the lower unit of an outboard motor that's still there 15 years later, but not for that specific application. I have no doubt that you can take a big plug of this stuff, drill it, and put threads into it, having used it for other purposes, but can't say for certain how it would work in a small hole like that.

If you can get the part out so that it can be cleaned really well, and where you could get the correct tap to go all the way through the hole, maybe the careful application of a "smear" all around the inside edge of the hole will harden enough to hold a thread. It's supposed to, at least. IF it worked, and you applied it really neatly and carefully, this might be a near-invisible approach to a repair.

Anytime you use an epoxy in small amounts be especially sure to mix it really well before you apply it.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    Have you determined the thread size? I am guessing that it is probably metric. Metric Helicoils are available down to M2.2, which is a pretty small screw. You are probably dealing with something larger.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Here's something to at least consider as a possible option.

I haven't actually done it, so I can only give you theoretical advice, but "J B Weld" (a two-part epoxy that you should be able to find at a hardware or auto store) is supposed to harden up to the point that you can put threads in it with a tap. I've used the stuff for a variety of things, including a "temporary" patch on the lower unit of an outboard motor that's still there 15 years later, but not for that specific application. I have no doubt that you can take a big plug of this stuff, drill it, and put threads into it, having used it for other purposes, but can't say for certain how it would work in a small hole like that.

If you can get the part out so that it can be cleaned really well, and where you could get the correct tap to go all the way through the hole, maybe the careful application of a "smear" all around the inside edge of the hole will harden enough to hold a thread. It's supposed to, at least. IF it worked, and you applied it really neatly and carefully, this might be a near-invisible approach to a repair.

Anytime you use an epoxy in small amounts be especially sure to mix it really well before you apply it.

I wouldn't try that, personally.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Find out what size the hole is and run a tap in the hole to clean up the threads. Odds are this will fix the problem if it's not stripped too bad. if that doesn't work try a helicoil or go one size up and use a larger screw

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I think these threads are possibly british thread. They may be of a common pitch but they may have a different thread profile. I doubt you will be able to find a helicoil or insert to fix it.
    A new or good used rear sight base should be easy to find. They are possible to replace yourself but it is involved. You have to remove the front sight blade and base and then remove the rear sight base. Both of these bases are also probably soldered and set screwed on. I wonder how much this would cost at a gunsmith. I think that this type of repair is something that may be best performed by an expert. The learning/skill curve may come into play here.

You could try forming threads on the screw with an epoxy like Machdoc suggested. Consider coating the screw with a release agent before assembly. Also consider removing the screw once the epoxy has set up, but prior to complete cure. You might try something like Devcon Plastic Steel Putty if JB weld doesn't hold.

dre271

Dre
    Oct 9, 2011
    Howard County
    Fix

Thanks for all the interest and advice. I was able to find out that Mauser threads are inch based threads but they are usually a non-standard pitch. Not my lucky day. I am going to try using JB Weld. Wish me luck, pictures to follow shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom