• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Hey guys, so I bought a used CZ97b recently and finally got to the range. I replaced the magazine spring with a wolff spring because it was so weak, I wouldn't get slide lock on empty. So with the mag issue resolved, I went shooting to run some defense loads(Hornady Critical Duty 220gr 45 auto +p) through it. So I loaded the 10 rnd mag, racked one in chamber and fired as normal, but second round failed to feed. Upon closer inspection, it appears the red plug inside the Hornady got stuck on the feed ramp. After clearing the round, I continued firing the remaining rounds with no issue. I then loaded another mag and fired and same issue occurred. I then loaded ball ammo and no issues whatsoever. Curious of everyone's thoughts and possible solutions. Any recommendations and alternatives for defensive loads? image.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Some guns font like certain loads and bullet profiles.

The ramp and mouth can be contoured to make it run on those loads, but that's not something you should do unless you know what you are doing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Some guns don't like certain loads and bullet profiles.

The ramp and mouth can be contoured to make it run on those loads, but that's not something you should do unless you know what you are doing.

^^All of this.

Unless you're willing to have a 'smith work some magic on it, I'd just try a few diff't offerings.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Two options off the top of my head -

Scott's in Glen Burnie.

John Carduner (trikshot, here on MDS).

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Just polished up the feed ramp and will try some different ammo. I got a box of federal hydro shock 230gr and will try some others. Thanks for the info guys. I'll try some golden sabers too. This is gonna get expensive. Haha!

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Check the CZ board. I have a CZ 97BD and haven't had any problems, but I seem to recall that a lot of 97's had feeding problems with certain ammo. There might be a quick fix that they know about over there.

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks Blue, I love this pistol and I'm having a hard time believing it's the pistol rather than the odd shaped cone on the hornady critical duty. I'm gonna get my hands on some different types and see what she eats best. Clandestine was able to help me out some as well. Thanks guys!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I had a similar problem with my New P09, a couple of rounds stove piped and checked and CZs are a little rough on fit an finish so I polished the feed ramp and fired 150 more rounds through it "Remington and Winchester" FMJ & JHP and no issues since, figure when I get home on my next leave I'll break it in some more. Most members w/CZ say you need to run 200 plus rounds thru to get it broken in nicely... Cajun Gun Works is the CZ go to for refining you CZ Pistol. How do you like the 97B otherwise?

Oh I forgot t mention, in the CZ owners manual what did it say about +P ammo, mine said it wasn't recommended but you can shoot it.

Last edited:

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Not sure how many rounds were put through it from the previous owner but the pistol is immaculate with very little signs of use and that's only on the barrel itself. Fit and finish is amazing and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I understand it's said that the 97b doesn't care for jhp but the new style feedramp should be more forgiving. I'm gonna be taking it out next week and will let you know how it does. But overall, I love this thing. If it don't shoot, I can knock you out with it as solid as it is.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    This is a common issue with the older CZ 97s. They will not feed anything reliably except ball.
    CZ makes a replacement barrel which has a revamped feed ramp. http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0460049101_Barrel--Cz97-45-Acp
    I am reluctant to do anything more than polish the feed ramp on mine since the barrel is also serial numbered and may affect resale.
    I am planning to get that replacement for mine in the near future. In the meantime, I will load ball for it.
    DocAitch

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Latest update for my CZ feeding issues. Went to freestate today and tried some federal jhp and had 3 failures to feed due to the feedramp. Pic below indicates the gouge left in the hollow point after clearing the jam. Ran 100 rounds of ball ammo without one issue. Funny thing is, my sistema 1911 ran all jhp just fine.

image.jpg

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I guess you like the accuracy! If you like this gun, you'll love The CZ 75 SP01 Tactical 9mm. It's my favorite handgun in the world. No feed issues EVER!

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    Went to Freestate last night to test some more ammo (Golden Saber) and see if I can get a better idea of what creating these failures to feed. I got a box of 50 ball ammo and started to get FTF even with ball ammo at about 45 rounds through the CZ. Same issues of bullet hitting the feedramp and bullet not seating in the chamber. The round was getting stuck at a 45 degree angle with the slide open. So is this due to the gun being dirty or other issues? I then tried to shoot some of the golden sabers and each one was a FTF. First round went fine but second would hit the feedramp. I have read some posts on CZ forums and some claim the recoil spring is too light in these and need replacing, so I have ordered a wolff #16 as apposed to the stock #13. Not sure if this would even address the issue. I have also contacted CZ and waiting for a response. I'm in love with this pistol but getting frustrated to say the least. I'd like to hear anybody's thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 404

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    In your OP, you mentioned changing the spring in the magazine. Before tinkering around with the gun, get another magazine and try it out. Your mag is the heart of what feeds the gun reliably. If that magazine's feed lips are messed up, you could be running into timing issues. If it's not running golden sabers and fmj, something's wrong. You may also want to check out the recoil spring to see if it's the stock spring or if the previous owner messed with it and put a heavier one in or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom