• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    I've never shot any of them or even handled any of them.

But the CZ thread has gotten me worried just a bit.

I have been eyeballing CZ-82's b/c they are relatively cheap.

Walter P1's and P-38s run about $350. Yes they shoot 9mm luger, thats good
    but are they superior to their eastern Euro cousins.

The tok sorta looks like a 1911, and the stainless ones seem cool. Not sure about the 7.62 x 25, never been around it.

The CZ has been intriguing me lately.

I'd love to try all three but I will take you guys words.
    Which ones have nice triggers, run smooth and are reliable?

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Easy... CZ82.
    Really the question is what are you using it for?.. Carry, plinking, HD??
    CZ works for all of them, really.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Given the choice......I would get the P38 for historical significance.

the Tok would be the last on the list for me. I have all 4 and all fun to shoot but I like my Walthers

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Are you looking for a shooter or collecting? I've never had much experience with a cz-82 or a Tokarev, but my P.38 is my favorite handgun to shoot. Feels great in my hand, trigger is good and its very accurate. If you are looking to shoot with it frequently, I'd suggest getting a P1 since its pretty much the same handgun but a not worth as much as a real P.38

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    CZ-82 get my vote all around. Search on MDS, you will see how popular they are with members on here and the price is right. Many of us have refinished ours and even put on some nice Marshall grips.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Couldn't make up my mind either, so bought both a P-1 and a Yugo Tok.
    Both are great shooters. Widener's has 7.62x25 for about $15/box of 50 and Lee has dies for reloading.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Buy them all....

I've bought, in this order, the P38, CZ52, CZ82 and P64. All good guns, all fun to shoot and relatively inexpensive. Parts are still available for them as is ammo. As noted, the P38 was my first purchase--something special about the P38--may even get more!

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    For some reason I am curious about the CZ. Read some reviews with great shooting groups plus the price is a bonus. I have always known about the P38 but just haven't been able to try one. Q

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    The cz82 is in my opinion the best deal out there now. It is C&R but a modern pistol, takes a 12 round mag and is very comfortable to shoot. It is suitable for concealed carry. The P38/P31 and tokarev are also good but the walthers cost more and ammo for the tokarev is a question now.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Pass on the Walther, some have had good luck, mine was a nightmare. If I get another it will be something nazi marked and vintage.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    CZ-82 is most "modern" (Makarov round may or may not be avail in some ranges, so in MC call first). 12 round mag vs 2 others being 8. The absence of visual rifling in a bore could be disturbing (unles you got US made barrel). The rumor is the original barrel can handle around 7000 shots. Painted (not blued).

P-38 is most common round (keep in mind, it is old pistol, so no P+, stay on regular 9 mm). Mag release at the bottom, and that is like marriage - has a lot of benefits, but you need to get used to it. It is also the biggest out of those 3.

TT-33 is most powerful (see bulletproof vests ratings to prove it), but keep in mind - out of those 3 it it the only one single action. Release button is too weak - that cause a lot of reports during WWII for loosing mags while taking weapon out of the holseter, and that the reason that Makarov had mag release at the bottom. It is small but heavy.

Into this line I would add:

Makarov - thats AK of pistols. The feeling you get disassembling it is uncomparible to anything else. 27 parts (I believe), and you can get them all.

CZ-52 - same round as TT-33 (but can not handle all of them), also single action, cheap (or at least it was), too heavy, too big, bunch of problems reported with firing pin breaking.

Russian nagant 1895 - cheap, but rare ammo, reloading it is a pain, but reliability is great and amount of history behind this gun is astonishing for any Russian. There are a bunch of songs mentioning this gun specifically :)

Anyway CZ-82 is the youngest member of this family and probably the most "practical" one. Makarov is smaller, P-39 has 9 mm round. TT-33 stands in league of its own for penetration of 7.62x25 round....

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I recommend the Walther's P38 or P1, they are the best quality C&R pistols available, plus they chamber a 9MM Luger round which is readily available, cheap, and compatable with modern handguns.

I have both the P38 and P1 and never had a problem with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom