• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Regarding the lineup from CZ, is there any fundamental difference between these three rifles other than the stock they come in?

1.) CZ 547 Varmint
    2.) CZ 457 AT-One (this one has a 20" barrel threaded for a suppressor)
    3.) CZ 457 Varmint MTR

If my plan is to ditch the stock right away and I don't care that much about using a suppressor, do I gain anything from either 2 or 3?

The MTR would be my choice of those three. It has a slightly different and tighter chamber which tends to lead to better accuracy. The AT one may have the same chamber, but I know the MTR has it. The varmint does not to my knowledge.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What about the CZ American Synthetic? If you want a 20.5" barrel the At-ONE is out. The Varmint isn't threaded but I'd get that just in case. It'll save you a headache when you get that itch. If you plan to ditch the stock then get the same action in the cheapest stock. The price differences are in the stocks they come in.
    I looked at that - I want the heavier profile barrel I think - I've never really had the itch to get a suppressor, and if I do, well...I suppose that's an excuse to get another gun, right? Like when I wanted to start shooting trap. There really wasn't anything wrong with my 870 Wingmaster, but I chose to get a Browning O/U because, why not, right? :D Regarding the 20" vs the 20.5", I'm not married to the idea of a barrel length.

The MTR would be my choice of those three. It has a slightly different and tighter chamber which tends to lead to better accuracy. The AT one may have the same chamber, but I know the MTR has it. The varmint does not to my knowledge.
    There's nothing on the website that indicates that the Varmint MTR has anything different with the chamber - it might, but from what I can see it seems to be the same barrel and action in a different stock, and I'm planning to ditch the stock it comes in. Would it be the extra $200 it would cost me? Dunno.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    There's nothing on the website that indicates that the Varmint MTR has anything different with the chamber - it might, but from what I can see it seems to be the same barrel and action in a different stock, and I'm planning to ditch the stock it comes in. Would it be the extra $200 it would cost me? Dunno.
    CZ calls it the 22 match chamber. Everyone who I have spoken to with the MTR is surprised with how accurate it is.

If you are going to just ditch the stock, you could also just buy the action and a prefit barrel for it. IBI, lothar Walther, and lilja make profits. Modacam can also spin up a prefit from a blank, but that's even more expensive.

22 lr is a deep fun rabbit hole :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    CZ calls it the 22 match chamber. Everyone who I have spoken to with the MTR is surprised with how accurate it is.

If you are going to just ditch the stock, you could also just buy the action and a prefit barrel for it. IBI, lothar Walther, and lilja make prefits. Modacam can also spin up a prefit from a blank, but that's even more expensive.

22 lr is a deep fun rabbit hole :)
    Is it possible to just get the action, or just the action and barrel? I'm not sure I'd have issues with the stock barrel - supposedly those CZ 22LRs shoot pretty well out of the box once you find the ammo it likes.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Is it possible to just get the action, or just the action and barrel? I'm not sure I'd have issues with the stock barrel - supposedly those CZ 22LRs shoot pretty well out of the box once you find the ammo it likes.
    One of the 419 guys shoots with us sometimes. His experience with cz barrels was that they were super picky. He runs Lilja.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    One of the 419 guys shoots with us sometimes. His experience with cz barrels was that they were super picky. He runs Lilja.
    This is turning into a bit of a headache - I'm wondering if my best bet is to buy the CF B14R barreled action from this guy I know who has one for sale and just be done with it - pretty sure it would be a solid shooter and if I ever get the itch for something else, I can always repurpose the chassis into another build and sell off the Bergara...except that I don't tend to flip guns, so there's that. :lol2:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This is turning into a bit of a headache - I'm wondering if my best bet is to buy the CF B14R barreled action from this guy I know who has one for sale and just be done with it - pretty sure it would be a solid shooter and if I ever get the itch for something else, I can always repurpose the chassis into another build and sell off the Bergara...except that I don't tend to flip guns, so there's that. :lol2:
    Hahaha. Rimfire is a major.headache. it is kinda fun, though.

Told you you are welcome to test drive it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    IMG_20211017_211329138.jpg

Found this in my test pile.

Couldn't locate the lot testing targets. The sk long range (not on here) seemed to be the best overall. Sk standard plus ran right with it, but the ES tended to be over 20-25. Long range, most five shot groups ES under 20.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Dang - it certainly does shoot with the SK Standard Plus! It did pretty well with the Lapua Center X too. It's not awful with CCI Standard Velocity either.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Dang - it certainly does shoot with the SK Standard Plus! It did pretty well with the Lapua Center X too. It's not awful with CCI Standard Velocity either.
    Centerx was great but exhibited unexplained flyers, as seen here, normally.

Four, sometimes three, in one hole. Then one just out. Effective group size is the same as sk std plus and the sk was a LOT cheaper (and.easier to get). ES for.centerx, IIRC, was usually about the same as sk long range. Sk long range was my go to, sk std plus when I couldn't get LR.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I have a steel Bergara B14r with an Arken SH4. I’ve done a ton of ammo testing and it likes two flavors or Eley or Lapua Midas. The more budget stuff like SK will shoot around moa if the wind isn’t bad. The Lapua pushes .5 at 100 with no wind. You are welcome to come shoot it if you want to run the exact set up you are thinking about.
    IMG_3602.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    RussD and I know.each other. His rifle HAMMERS with Midas+. Mine liked the sk stuff and centerx better. Since his is fully assembled and running, you really should take his offer to run it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a steel Bergara B14r with an Arken SH4. I’ve done a ton of ammo testing and it likes two flavors or Eley or Lapua Midas. The more budget stuff like SK will shoot around moa if the wind isn’t bad. The Lapua pushes .5 at 100 with no wind. You are welcome to come shoot it if you want to run the exact set up you are thinking about. View attachment 464083
    Are you a member at AGC? That's where I typically go to shoot - I'm up there 2-3x a week sometimes, although lately I'm almost always at the trap field. Even if you aren't a member of AGC, it would be well worth getting you signed in as a guest.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Are you a member at AGC? That's where I typically go to shoot - I'm up there 2-3x a week sometimes, although lately I'm almost always at the trap field. Even if you aren't a member of AGC, it would be well worth getting you signed in as a guest.
    You can come with me to the super secret 400 yard range if you want but it’s 45 min. North of AGC. Shoot me a PM with when you are available. I’m switching jobs so I have a good bit of free time.

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    I also need to correct my earlier post. Apparently they are now available in a 20" heavy MTU SS barrel at a premium of course.
    View attachment 464000

Not my rig. This fella is from France. These Heavy barrel versions have been available in Europe for a while.
    Looks like they perform pretty well. View attachment 463999
    View attachment 463998
    My bergara steel barrel can do the same with sk lrm. If you want the weight, go for it, but it isn't going to be more accurate per se.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My bergara steel barrel can do the same with sk lrm. If you want the weight, go for it, but it isn't going to be more accurate per se.
    Yeah 50 yard groups aren’t impressive. Most decent .22s can do that if you cherry pick groups with good box ammo. I’ve shot 100 yard groups like that with CCI but they aren’t the standard group that will tell you what the gun can do on average.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Has anyone mentioned that with the CZ you can swap barrels and calibers easily? 22lr, 22WMR, and 17HMR. Two screws and you can swap the barrel. Just food for thought.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Was that at 50yds? What rifle? Is that a 1" circle?
    50yds. B14r. Whiskey3 chassis. Razor2 3-18. Bipod and rear bag. Prone or standing behind bench, don't recall.....been a while.

I'd have to dig it out and measure. If you want to see the target, I think accurateshooter still has it in their.free target section. I'm at work.

Aquaholic

Feb 6, 2013
    Middle River
    I went through this same dilemma in December - CZ, Bergara, or Tikka. I spent countless hours searching the web and finally settled on the Tikka T1x and dropped it into a KRG Bravo chassis. Unfortunately by the time I got everything setup it was tax season so I've been unable to shoot it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom