• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi guys I was hoping to get maybe some advice on a cycling issue with one of my pistols. I have this old helwan brigadier (sanctioned Egyptian copy of a Beretta M1951), I'm not really sure sure how old, the guy I got it from didn't tell me too much of it's history. It does seem to be in good condition, nothing loose or broken from what I can tell. I usually get 2-3rnds fired then the slide jams back and it won't close, I usually have to drop the magazine and hit the back of the slide to get it to close. Or it will fire, eject the spent shell and then just not have enough inertia to chamber the next shell fully. I was watching this guy on YouTube review an old S&W 59, it was hanging up the same way my helwan was. The guy mentioned that the recoil spring needed to be replaced. Do you guys think that could be it or could it be something else? I tried both steel and brass case ammo, both fairly hot rounds.

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    seriously, there's supposed to be a set screw that keeps the block in place and aligned. If that's not there, then the block can go catty-whompus and start jamming up as well as damaging things. At the very least it would be wise to check the block (esp at the "ears") and the inside of the slide for signs of cracking or abby-normal wear.
    Or it could be something completely different... but since these tend to fail it's not a bad idea to check it. It's similar to a P.38 (which also suffers block failure) but maybe half the size while firing the same 9x19 round....
    1 - Copy.JPG

4s.jpg

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Hi guys was curious if someone might have some advice or might be able to point in the right direction to fix a cycling problem with my pistol. I have this old helwan brigadier (it's an Egyptian copy of a Beretta m1951), I believe it's a newer model because it doe
    That was my first handgun! I never had a cycling problem, but after a few years I damn sure had a problem with it getting completely jammed during a field strip. Never could figure out what was going on, so traded it in for something a bit better.

Remarkably good shooter for (at least at the time) a dirt cheap pistol. It was my first carry piece, but given it was single action and I didn't like or trust the safety so carried Condition Two. In retrospect, I'm not sure this was safe either as I'm not sure there was a safety to keep the hammer from wacking the firing pin if banged. But it was a nice, slim, easy carrying gun at the time. And it was my first.

In long retrospect, I wish I had kept it and just found a few extra dollars for its' replacement. I'm getting sentimental in my old age, and it was something of an unusual firearm.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    seriously, there's supposed to be a set screw that keeps the block in place and aligned. If that's not there, then the block can go catty-whompus and start jamming up as well as damaging things. At the very least it would be wise to check the block (esp at the "ears") and the inside of the slide for signs of cracking or abby-normal wear.
    Or it could be something completely different... but since these tend to fail it's not a bad idea to check it. It's similar to a P.38 (which also suffers block failure) but maybe half the size while firing the same 9x19 round....
    View attachment 405398
    View attachment 405400
    Hey thank you for the advice, turns out somewhere along the line the screw was lost or fell out. Now on the hunt for a new set screw

Jul 1, 2012
    That may be a tough part to find... not sure of the thread pitch, you may have to get one made or retap the existing hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom