• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    I'm finally jumping on the 300 Blackout band wagon. I started trimming .223 cases with a pipe cutter. I got through 20 cases and decided that I need a better way to do this.

I took a 2x4 and drilled five holes in the end with a 3/8 forstner bit. drilled slow till I found the depth that I wanted with the first hole, then I marked the bit and drilled the rest. They are not exact, but close enough.

I then chopped the 2x4 off a little longer than the cases sit. I drilled through the back and inserted some nails for use as ejector.

Clamp the block to my miter saw and attached an abrasive cut off blade.

Insert cases, chop, lightly tap the back of the nails with remaining 2x4 to eject, remove, repeat.

Faster and easier on the finger.

Attachments

• IMG_20131005_125735.jpg
      IMG_20131005_125735.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 929
    • IMG_20131005_125740.jpg
      IMG_20131005_125740.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 790
    • IMG_20131005_125751.jpg
      IMG_20131005_125751.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 784

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    Nice. That's a good idea. I'm going to look at doing something like this for my chop saw. Doing 5-10 at a whack will make short work of a 1,000 cases.

Thanks for posting.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Looks like you already have a workable set up. This is mine. The saw is a cheap harbor freight mini saw (IIRC around $25 on sale). The jig that mounts to it was a little pricey around $50. It uses a spring and ball bearing to index on the case rim and hold the case being cut. The next case gets inserted and pushes to cut one out. 10 to 20 case a minute is fairly easily achieved.

Attachments

• 300 blackout saw.jpg
      300 blackout saw.jpg
      58.5 KB · Views: 761

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    Couple of thought.....case mouths have a lot of slag on them. I'm hitting the ones I've done with a chamfer, but it is one more step. I'm thinking that running the brass through the sizing die first might be the way to go.

You can probably get a more uniform cut by sizing first then building the jig to index off the shoulder. Better support for the neck might cut down on burrs. I have some ideas for this, but I need to get my dies in first......more to follow

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    Looks like you already have a workable set up. This is mine. The saw is a cheap harbor freight mini saw (IIRC around $25 on sale). The jig that mounts to it was a little pricey around $50. It uses a spring and ball bearing to index on the case rim and hold the case being cut. The next case gets inserted and pushes to cut one out. 10 to 20 case a minute is fairly easily achieved.

That's what gave me the idea. I already have the saw and I'm a bit to cheap to spend $50 on the jig......I would rather spend that on having someone else convert it. Brass prep is already the bain of my reloading world.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I have also seen a wooden holder made by a guy on a different forum for use with the mini saw which works pretty slick as well. The $50 made me think twice too. I just don't need that much brass at one time. I am glad I did get it however. I cut the cases so the final trim is very very little. The cut is also very clean and consistent. I cut, size, trim, chamfer, anneal and load.

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    Is annealing necessary?

Your decision in the end.... information from people smarter than me can be found here: http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/annealing/

TL: DR-- Yes and No...... Not absolutely required, but it increases brass life. I anneal "normal" brass on the 6thish fire. Precision brass that I want to keep (6mmbr) I do every time. I have some 6mmbr on its 11th firing. Time consuming, but cheaper than new brass.

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    I have also seen a wooden holder made by a guy on a different forum for use with the mini saw which works pretty slick as well. The $50 made me think twice too. I just don't need that much brass at one time. I am glad I did get it however. I cut the cases so the final trim is very very little. The cut is also very clean and consistent. I cut, size, trim, chamfer, anneal and load.

Not saying my way is the best... like I said "I'm Cheap". My process needs refinement. I'm thinking that I need to size first then cut. I want to redesign my jig to load from the rear with sized brass. Then trimming will take care of the slag I've encountered. With all that being said....my time is cheap when I'm doubling trials with watching the kids while the wife is out. Yours is the proven method.

I use a mini chop saw with a homemade jig held in the saw's vise. I chop, clean, resize, then deburr/chamfer. My friend Arne who is on here from time to time uses a drill press and a carbide end mill. The best I've seen is a Dillon Trimmer on a 650 press with a special sizing and trimming die.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Very nice, I like the improvisation.

I have around 1000 blackout cases already made that I got in trade, so I have yet to set something up to convert cases. When I do, I like your idea.

Thanks for posting.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The $50 made me think twice too. I just don't need that much brass at one time. I am glad I did get it however. I cut the cases so the final trim is very very little. The cut is also very clean and consistent. I cut, size, trim, chamfer, anneal and load.
    Same here.. it is worth the money.. quick and clean cuts and I already had the HF mini chop saw from old archery endeavors just collecting dust, so.. my 300 brass converts quickly now.. :)

Been using a Proxxon KGS 80 Micro Chop Saw.
    http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37160-KGS-MICRO-Chop/dp/B001AT5H1C
    Pricy, but quiet and cuts quick and clean. Slow, maybe 8-10 rounds/min. I tell myself it's therapeutic, to justify the time.
    I have one too. I made a length jig that clamps to one of the vise jaws. I took off the fence and feed them from the right side. I use a metal cut off disk. Not the ones Proxxon sells, but from the hardware store. The Proxxon ones are too thin and bend, giving a slanted cut.

Couple of thought.....case mouths have a lot of slag on them. I'm hitting the ones I've done with a chamfer, but it is one more step. I'm thinking that running the brass through the sizing die first might be the way to go.
    I deburr the newly cut cases. I tried running them straight into the die, but the metal gets pressed into the neck. It doesn't always fall off during final trimming.
    You can probably get a more uniform cut by sizing first then building the jig to index off the shoulder. Better support for the neck might cut down on burrs. I have some ideas for this, but I need to get my dies in first......more to follow
    You can index off the .223 shoulder and then cut behind it. Of course you'd have to set the cut depth to do so without chopping through the jig. I had thought of doing this with a block of plastic.

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    So I made a couple of refinements....

I abandoned the idea of indexing off the shoulder. The test runs I ran produce the same result with burrs on the mount and it was hard to push the case out backwards through the jig.

I took the orginal jig and mounted it to a larger block to better clamp it and attached the jig to the saw fence with a screw. Block is now solidly set.

IMG_20131013_180628.jpg

The burrs from cutting.

IMG_20131013_180715.jpg

I run the outside of the case mouth on a bench grinder to knock off the burrs.

IMG_20131013_181050.jpg

Form the case. Decapping/sizing rod removed. Burrs as still inside the case mounth.

IMG_20131013_182413.jpg

Trim. Case is now free of burrs.

IMG_20131013_182523.jpg

Once more through the sizing die, this time with the rod inserted.

Processs is fairly quick and pain free. Hope this helps someone.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD
    If you use a fine toothed carbide finishing blade you wont get all the slag on the cut cases. A friend showed me this while cutting a couple hundred aluminum ballusters for my new deck railing. I was using an abrasive metal cutting disk and getting the slag, but the carbide tipped wood blade cut them clean and fast, and didn't dull the blade either

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    If you use a fine toothed carbide finishing blade you wont get all the slag on the cut cases. A friend showed me this while cutting a couple hundred aluminum ballusters for my new deck railing. I was using an abrasive metal cutting disk and getting the slag, but the carbide tipped wood blade cut them clean and fast, and didn't dull the blade either

Thanks! I 'll have to go looking for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom