• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    plus one for the rhino. neat little gun that will lower the felt recoil. not a fan of the stainless or 2 in. barrel though. i prefer the 4 or 6 in. in black

She doesn't like the way this one looks.

She likes stainless snubbie, and she loves that the recoil will be lower with this. I'll probably work on getting her a stainless 38 snubbie sometime.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    So, what do you guys suggest as a pretty 357 snub for her. Post pics.

I don't. I don't generally recommend .357 snubs to anybody unless we're talking about compact 686s or Troopers - full size guns with short barrels. There are some exceptions such as the SP101 which is significantly bigger and heavier than other guns in its class.

I say toss the snubie idea. What's the appeal? You mentioned that she's a lifelong shooter. Does she really want a snub? If so, I say go old school and pick out a used .38 Detective Special or Model 36. If she just wants a gun, I'd say go for something auto with a thin frame, preferably something either semi-compact or full size. Besides, CCW isn't going to be a concern for most of us anytime soon. Why limit options to the tiniest guns shooting the hottest loads?

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Get her a full size .357 to manage the recoil. Since, assuming she lives in MD, she won't be using it as a CCW. A snub .357 is a powerhouse.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I don't. I don't generally recommend .357 snubs to anybody unless we're talking about compact 686s or Troopers - full size guns with short barrels. There are some exceptions such as the SP101 which is significantly bigger and heavier than other guns in its class.

I say toss the snubie idea. What's the appeal? You mentioned that she's a lifelong shooter. Does she really want a snub? If so, I say go old school and pick out a used .38 Detective Special or Model 36. If she just wants a gun, I'd say go for something auto with a thin frame, preferably something either semi-compact or full size. Besides, CCW isn't going to be a concern for most of us anytime soon. Why limit options to the tiniest guns shooting the hottest loads?

Well, I did say 38 suggestions were more than welcome, if you read on...

She understands the shooting of it, and we plan on moving to pa, so ccw is possible. She doesn't want a semi auto, she loves 38/357 snubs, she's been around them her whole life, and that's what she wants.

If she wanted something other than the snubbie, I would have asked for something else. This is what she wants, and if it gets her shooting more, then I'm happy.

How about being supportive instead of suggesting she doesn't know what she wants.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    S&W 637 Revolver

I know it's not a .357, but it's a .38 Special rated for +P. Anyways, here you go:

Attachments

• 59024279.jpg
      59024279.jpg
      13.6 KB · Views: 176

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I know it's not a .357, but it's a .38 Special rated for +P. Anyways, here you go:

I know she loves the charter arms one with the pink frame. I'll get her opinion on this next.

Anyone know if the rhino will be in pink any time soon? She loves the pink guns, bht the ability to shoot the hot loads in a small frame comfortably with the rhino sounds appealing to her. Not cause she cant handle full loads out of a little gun, just cause everyone enjoys comfortable shooting.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The Rhino is supposed to be designed to handle recoil better but I like the SP101.

It's freakishly odd to see the muzzle almost not rise at all when shooting a hot .357 out of it. There are videos of this on YT.

No way I'd suggest this gun to a newbie, given the dangers of getting burned/very injured by holding it wrong.

By the way, why not a Ruger Speed Six?

HPIM2627.jpg

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    She likes shooting 38 out of one, and can handle 357, I just think it's nice for her to have that little extra if she ever needs it, just cause I worry, and am over-protective. Though realistically, 38 would be fine, so suggestions would be more than welcome for those.

Shooting a .38 out of a small gun is one thing, The .357mag is another. I am a big guy and have a S&W 340PD (small gun that will shoot .357mag). Shooting .38spc is a joy, .38+P less so but OK. When I shoot .357mag in it, it stings like hell. Shooting .357mag in my 686 was no issue, but in the little light gun...ouch.
    Try before you buy!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Well, I did say 38 suggestions were more than welcome, if you read on...

She understands the shooting of it, and we plan on moving to pa, so ccw is possible. She doesn't want a semi auto, she loves 38/357 snubs, she's been around them her whole life, and that's what she wants.

If she wanted something other than the snubbie, I would have asked for something else. This is what she wants, and if it gets her shooting more, then I'm happy.

How about being supportive instead of suggesting she doesn't know what she wants.

No need to get snappy. You're reading too much into my comment.

Having read the thread, at no point did I get the impression that she wanted the snub. However, snub nosed revolvers are a favorite of husbands and significant others who think that she wants a snub. Notice all of the pink snubbies and Ladysmiths out there? They're playing to a stereotype of what men think women want, not necessarily trying to attract female customers.

If she wants a snub though, that's fine.

I also provided multiple suggestions - none of which were autos.

SP 101 - It's a big snub and just about the smallest thing that can comfortably shoot .357
    Detective Special or S&W Model 36 - both widely available used
    MK III Trooper Snub - hard to find, but it's basically a Python at a much lower price. I swear by mine.
    Model 686 - maybe a little too bulky, but very easy to find

Beyond that, practically every Smith in every frame comes in a snub nosed version. Try wading through the used market and see what you find. The model 10 snub does a nice job holding down the middle ground in terms of size and weight.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I realy love the SP101 but the sharp edges are a Pain to carry...I just got a Ruger LC9 yestureday for $329 US and after I fab a new holster and practice it will fill the CC platform.The SP has enough weight to control full house .357 yet leaves a lot of versitility with .38 spl. for fun practice and is a great choise IMO.Good Luck.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Shooting a .38 out of a small gun is one thing, The .357mag is another. I am a big guy and have a S&W 340PD (small gun that will shoot .357mag). Shooting .38spc is a joy, .38+P less so but OK. When I shoot .357mag in it, it stings like hell. Shooting .357mag in my 686 was no issue, but in the little light gun...ouch.
    Try before you buy!

this is one of the points i'm trying to make. I just don't understand why?? an important aspect of a SD weapon is to the ability to keep your sights on your target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom