• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    That wouldn’t surprise me. I was just trying to be super optimistic on how many steps a paper form would go through. I work on automation of paper and manual processes for a government agency (just not the AFT). So I’ve got pretty good visibility on what it can look like and do.

Always amazing and feel good when you take an all manual process and make it electronic and automated so a human only has to touch something a couple of times. You spend a year or two working on a new system and boom, you shave scores of work years of effort off a process across an agency and slash the processing time of something from weeks to days. And save money on top of the labor savings because nothing printed and you don’t have to mail paper forms between locations, etc.

I am going to be finding out the answer to my question soon enough. I am coming up on 200 days from purchase and my BOGO deal can just came through. It will be submitted on e-form. As a reminder, I filed the paper forms for the other cans right before they announced the start of the e forms.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Wow, some of the delay numbers are staggering. I commented upthread about fairly recently receiving a batch approval of 2 paper form 4 cans, way before their “8 month” quoted times, and then just 3 weeks later my e-file can came back. That closes me out, all 3 on the books cleared and I was out. For unknown stupid reasons though, this only made me want to seek out a dedicated can for my 300 Win Mag, and since I already have a Silencerco ASR mount, I decided to get a Silencerco Omega 300. To paraphrase Pacino in Godfather I can’t help but think, “just when I got out, they bring me back in...”. I must be a glutton for punishment. Docusigned my applications yesterday and the ATF cashed my “check”. Counting down the 90 days now. I hope the horror stories on this thread don’t continue. Once I get this one back I’m pretty sure I’m out of the game for good (until I need a can for the 338 Lapua...).:innocent0

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have two separate customers that just passed 380 on check cashed.
    Have another one hitting 365 next week. Fingers crossed.

NoahNoahNoah

Oct 29, 2020
    I am at 410 on a paper form and 91 on e-file currently.

A little after a year I contacted Rep Andy Harris to try to get some help. Heard back yesterday that while it’s still not approved, it’s moving through the process. Hopefully will have the first soon enough. Interested to see which comes first actually.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just got the call that my 2 stamps have arrived, on Day 351.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    No this is a myth. I am coming up on 120.
    Exactly
    People were getting all worked up that some efiles were getting done before they got caught up with paper. Yeah some got their efiles really quick but that is far and away the exception. They NEED to do efiles to work out the system that is CONSTANTLY shutting down. The suppressor companies are pushing the 90 number to boost sales. Hopefully in a year that’ll be more of a reality.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A year today since check cashed... but seeing other posts, I guess I'll keep my whining to myself.
    Why? Isn’t this group therapy?
    :-)

I did hop on the mag and June NFA waiting Reddit. It did make me feel a little better the vast majority of paper form 4 guys seem to be running 350-390 days.

I mean, it doesn’t make me feel good that there is a reasonably good chance I am waiting another week or three, but misery loves company and at least it isn’t that most guys are getting theirs cleared in 300 days and mine is running 2+ months behind the norm (and counting).

Maybe I’ll get a call tomorrow. But at least I figure I have a good chance mine will clear before the end of the month. I hope.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Why? Isn’t this group therapy?
    :-)

I did hop on the mag and June NFA waiting Reddit. It did make me feel a little better the vast majority of paper form 4 guys seem to be running 350-390 days.

I mean, it doesn’t make me feel good that there is a reasonably good chance I am waiting another week or three, but misery loves company and at least it isn’t that most guys are getting theirs cleared in 300 days and mine is running 2+ months behind the norm (and counting).

Maybe I’ll get a call tomorrow. But at least I figure I have a good chance mine will clear before the end of the month. I hope.
    May you join the 400+ club like the select few that are already there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have two separate customers that just passed 380 on check cashed.
    Have another one hitting 365 next week. Fingers crossed.
    One of the things that drives me nuts is that so far only one CSR has told me anything about the status with a examiner. I have the name of the examiner and was patched though to the examiner to leave a message. But all the other CSR's just say that there is nothing on the file. The laziness or intentional lying to people really irritates me.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I received a SBR for transfer and when it got to the examiner there was some issues with the paperwork. Someone called me and we went back and forth for a month to straighten out the paperwork and then the MD compliance. The person I worked with was not the examiner but very helpful and courteous.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    What I don't freaking understand is why we have to go through this with every purchase.... do all the background checks you want and issue a license for 2 or 3 years and you make as many purchases as your bank account can support..... of course the real answer is do away with the GCA, but I can be a realist when I absolutely have to be.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just an observation: My approval was signed off on May 26, but postmarked June 1. Took BATFE a full week to move it from the desk to the mailing machinery.

I'm beginning to see how my application fared during the preceding 49 weeks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What I don't freaking understand is why we have to go through this with every purchase.... do all the background checks you want and issue a license for 2 or 3 years and you make as many purchases as your bank account can support..... of course the real answer is do away with the GCA, but I can be a realist when I absolutely have to be.
    Unfortunately the best way to "fix" concerns about if someone is a criminal or has recently committed violent acts and they should be prohibited is a more integrated NICS system as well as real time updates to it.

Police should generally know the moment someone is prohibited and anything disqualifying should be in the system. So any checks of any sort should be real time and 100% up-to-date so long as the system itself isn't down for some reason.

I can get the requirement for a fingerprint check, just make sure whoever is looking to transfer something actually matches the person in the database, rather than trying to impersonate that person. But this is something that should take a couple of minutes at most.

Then again, on the other foot, the "best" way to enforce someone being prohibited is registration of all guns so police know the moment someone is prohibited that they need to seize guns from them unless they have something illegally. Upsides (SHOULD) include that police know you have firearms already, so stupid ass waiting periods makes no sense if you already have and still own guns.

PS please note I am not advocating mandatory registration. But if we can talk about the problems like "is it actually accurate" and "well now the government can decide to ban things and knows where they are" and "data rarely stays secure so good luck when registration lists leak to criminal gangs or newspapers". There are some upsides like being able to know that a person has turned in all of their guns they legally possessed if they become prohibited.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom