• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I got the itch to reload 300 Blackout so I figured to at least start with the dies, saw, and trimmer.

I got the trimmer in the mail today. I bought the CTS trimmer on ebay. I googled and not too much information about the trimmer and it only cost me $46. I was wondering if anyone had one too?

I'm waiting on my Lee Pacesetter dies and it should be here on Saturday so I can't size the case. I wanted to see if it worked so I tried to trim some brass I have already cut. I forgot the case needed to be sized. So I used my 5.56 case. Trims great and it seems it could also trim 5.56 brass since the delrin can stop the brass at the shoulder. All I need to do is move the blade.

Anyway, my question I have is the model I have says 300 AAC but it doesn't look like anything on the internet or from the seller. If you noticed the delrin sticks out and not flushed. I wonder if it will not work for 300 blackout?

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The cartridge is named 300 AAC Blackout. The official saami marking is 300 BLK, but I would bet your trimmer labled 300 AAC is the correct one.

Thanks. I guess I will have to wait until the dies come in. Once I get the chance this weekend I will post the results.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    I just got 2 of these trimmers the other day, .223 and 300 AAC. I was whipping out .223 cases like a madman. I only noticed slight variations (1-2 thousandths) in length, mostly from different brand cases. I guess the shoulders are slightly different even though they all went through the same sizing die.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I just got 2 of these trimmers the other day, .223 and 300 AAC. I was whipping out .223 cases like a madman. I only noticed slight variations (1-2 thousandths) in length, mostly from different brand cases. I guess the shoulders are slightly different even though they all went through the same sizing die.

Glad to hear from you. I have to say I was getting the same measurements. I was surprised I could trim 5.56 brass using the 300 AAC trimmer. I'm worried I might have gotten the wrong trimmer. Does the 300 AAC trimmer have the delrin sticking out and not flushed?

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX

I'm interested in these, and I'm wondering if the extra 12.00 for the carbide version is worth it?

I need a decent 300 blackout trimmer, but I've been holding off because my brass doesn't seem to be growing much.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Just trimmed some cases. To save money you could get the 300 AAC trimmer. The trimmer does trim 5.56 and 300 as well. No need to buy two trimmers! For an extra $12 You could get the carbide bit but I have the regular bit.

fmj3

Oct 1, 2014
    I've found the 300 blk to be a bit short using some other trimmers, less than 1/4" of case to hold on to. How much of the case is left sticking out of the CTS when trimming to something like 1.360?

Thanks

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I'm measuring like .521 but thats with the delrin in the way.

The best way to trim the brass is to find a brass that's already trimmed to 1.360. Use that brass as your template. Loosen the screws and slide the case up. Push down on the drill bit until it touches the mouth of the case. Tighten screw and your trimmer is set.

Different manufacture brass will vary the results. I'm also getting into thousandths with my trimming.

fmj3

Oct 1, 2014
    That's definitely better, but 1/2" is still not a lot of case to grip.

My fingertips get numb just thinking about trimming blackout cases. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom