• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Am about to be swappig into a CAI CTME. Is this regulated as H&K clone , or is it non refulated as a preacessor design ?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Ask Dundalk smithy he recently had one for sale but I do believe it is regulated........I could be wrong.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Supposedly apr 10yr ago was over the counter. While the list has several different variations of FALs , there is only one line of H&Ks, and common sense and history tell us that it was the CTME that was the bridge between the STg-44 and the H&K 91 .

But Md being Md I wanted to check before assuming.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    For the love of god save up and go with a PTR IF you have to have a G3 type rifle. The ergos on the G3 are terrible...... Try before you buy!!!! The safety is hard to reach without coming out of the gun and the cocking tube design is a real pain in the ass to use. Also there is no bolt hold open on the last shot. It is my least favorite of the 'legacy' Nato 7.62x51 rifles. The FAL is the best of the three, I speak from first hand experience I have all three.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not that I chose the CTME on purpose. I had somthing else (non firearm) that I needed to sell, and I received a spontanious offer of trade for said CTME. It's a good deal for the other person , and I judged it acceptable to me in totality instead of dragging things out for an eventual cash deal.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    It's not that I chose the CTME on purpose. I had somthing else (non firearm) that I needed to sell, and I received a spontanious offer of trade for said CTME. It's a good deal for the other person , and I judged it acceptable to me in totality instead of dragging things out for an eventual cash deal.

CHECK THE BOLT GAP !!!!

CHECK BOLT FOR GRINDING!!!!

GOOGLE THIS

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Buy a (regulated) PTR instead. You can thank us later.

My personal opinion is that the CETME shouldn't be regulated as it does not have parts commonality with the G3, doesn't share the same magazines, is not an imitation (IT CAME FIRST!!!), etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Current owner states that it was a cash and carry when purchased by wife as a gift for him (Md residents all & bought in Md ) . I am inclined from reading the List that this apears to be the case. He is willing to deliver to Brian for paperwork if required , but , well you know.

I am double checking for any info to the contrary before making exchnge.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Call the Maryland State Police Licensing Department at 410-653-4500 and asked them; they are easy to deal with and with this type of thing it is best to get it right the first time.

I agree with whoever said to buy a PTR instead; quality wise there is no comparison between the two. A PTR is much closer to an Hk in terms of build quality and with the Thompson barrels, often more accurate. The Century CETMEs I've handled look like they are slapped together by a squad of trained Reese's monkey that are each missing a left arm and a right eye. The PTR is definitely worth the extra $$$.

Teutonic Bliss :thumbsup:
    IMG_0100.jpg

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Like others said avoid the CETME, the PTR is superior in every way.

The CETME should not be regulated since a) not on the list b) not all parts are interchangeable since they are built to different specs and c) the G3 is a copy of it

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , (PTR , FAL, H&K, etc ) are more gooder'er than a CETME . Yes CAI has a mixed at best reputation.generally.

Once again was offered as a trade for somthing that had a time factor to consumate. It was a binary choice to either trade or not trade. No other firearms were into play. No $ would have been available from my end for any firearm of any type. Mil type semi .308 was not on my radar until this mutually acceptable deal fell into my lap.

Initial testfire upon delivery went well. Minimal felt recoil compred to my memories of M1A . Being an outspoken advocate of metalic sights having their place , the one notch and three arurptures seem interesting , if not as tuetonic as the later H&K .

I must not know any better , 'cause it seems to handle and balnce well enough.

Definately a mil 2 stage trigger , but seem plenty of Mausers that were worse.

Accuraccy testing at a later date , but so far I like it. Additional mags , and any remaining .308 ammo will be picked up in AM .

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    My FIL has a CETME and it has to have about the worst trigger I've ever pulled on a battle rifle in 308. I have to agree with the others, buy a PTR if you have to have a G3-type rifle or just buy an FAL.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    Stay on target, stay on target....

From my reading, it does not appear to be regulated as it preceded the HK, but the State Police may think differently.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I thought I read that it was specifically named on your state's list. My CETME runs perfectly fine with G3 mags. It's a newer Century build. I had to replace the bolt head on mine.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Ah, the CETME. Dicey one here.

§ 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm:

(25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3

Cosmetic similarity is unimportant, so let's take it off the table. And yes, any firearms historian worth his or her salt knows that the G3 is CETME derivative, not the other way around, but that doesn't matter either. The question is whether or not the CETME is mechanically identical to any of these G3 pattern rifles.

And frankly? I'm going to have to err on the side of caution - the operating system of the CEMTE is very, very similar to that of its (infinitely superior) German counterparts. I'd say it's a "copy" by the MSP's definition.

Having said that, I could also make a compelling argument against it being a "copy," but it seems pretty stupid to take any risks, however slim, over a CETME.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Ah, the CETME. Dicey one here.

Cosmetic similarity is unimportant, so let's take it off the table. And yes, any firearms historian worth his or her salt knows that the G3 is CETME derivative, not the other way around, but that doesn't matter either. The question is whether or not the CETME is mechanically identical to any of these G3 pattern rifles.

And frankly? I'm going to have to err on the side of caution - the operating system of the CEMTE is very, very similar to that of its (infinitely superior) German counterparts. I'd say it's a "copy" by the MSP's definition.

Having said that, I could also make a compelling argument against it being a "copy," but it seems pretty stupid to take any risks, however slim, over a CETME.

But the law says "specific" copy. The G3 is copying the CETME. Although they may function similar none of the parts are interchangeable. There was a site I forgot what it was that compared both the G3 and CETME side by side noting how they were both built to different specs. No parts could fit otherwise except maybe the furniture but that required some fitting. Even G3 mags are not guaranteed to work in a CETME its own mags.

Also the CETME wasn't even on the radar when the law was written.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    But the law says "specific" copy. The G3 is copying the CETME. Although they may function similar none of the parts are interchangeable. There was a site I forgot what it was that compared both the G3 and CETME side by side noting how they were both built to different specs. No parts could fit otherwise except maybe the furniture but that required some fitting. Even G3 mags are not guaranteed to work in a CETME its own mags.

Also the CETME wasn't even on the radar when the law was written.

The Mars imported CETME's were around prior to the GCA of '68. They predate MD's regulated firearms law. Now has Century bastardized the CETME design to use HK parts?

Now, if any of those rifles are in MD?? I have no clue. Whether any MSP staffer knows what one of those rifles are, I do not know.

This is another case where we need the AG to rule on this. Can a firearm that is the parent design of a regulated rifle be a copy of the child rifle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom