• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Probably so. But assuming they did take it and we get a 4-4 tie, does that count as essentially a cert denial (meaning NOTHING) and the lower court opinion stands?

Basically.

I predict the Court is just not going to take cases for the near future if they think it will be a 4-4 vote

Last edited:

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    I highly doubt the Court will be taking ANY controversial cases until the new member takes his/her seat. All they will take is boring cases that can be decided unanimously or with very little dissent.

The justices know that a vacancy in a presidential election year is a bad bad bad thing for the Court as an institution. That's why justices never retire in an election year. Confirmation hearings have already become an intense game of political football. The more politically intense the hearings, the worse off the Court is because its new member loses respect. And respect is the foundation of its ability to function.

So, I don't see the sitting justices wanting to compound the situation by accepting ANY controversial cases that will thrust the Court even further into the limelight, as if to say, "Hey look at us... we can't function!!".

And since the narrow 5-4 cases are up for grabs, chances are they won't take any super hot-topic cases until the current eight can predict the viewpoint of their new colleague.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I wonder how long until we see all the October through January sitting cases that were 5-4 with Scalia in the majority written off as a 4-4 split.
    We'll see if Monday is one big docket massacre.

Feb 28, 2013
    I wonder how long until we see all the October through January sitting cases that were 5-4 with Scalia in the majority written off as a 4-4 split.
    We'll see if Monday is one big docket massacre.

How could that even be legal?

Since when can the Supreme Court go back and overturn their own rulings because one of the justices involved in the case has since died?

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    How could that even be legal?

Since when can the Supreme Court go back and overturn their own rulings because one of the justices involved in the case has since died?

I think he means cases that the Court has already heard, and have privately decided upon, but haven't finished writing the opinions yet. Now that I think about it, that could really throw a wrench into things. There's all these cases that have been decided, but the decision hasn't been finalized and published yet. How are those handled? Any close decisions might change behind the scenes, but I doubt we'll ever know about it.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I think he means cases that the Court has already heard, and have privately decided upon, but haven't finished writing the opinions yet. Now that I think about it, that could really throw a wrench into things. There's all these cases that have been decided, but the decision hasn't been finalized and published yet. How are those handled? Any close decisions might change behind the scenes, but I doubt we'll ever know about it.
    Exactly, any unpublished decision that was 5-4 after the conference with Scalia in the majority is now void and must be reconsidered by the Justices. Roberts may declare a 4-4 split, or he could go across the aisle to make a new majority either via joining them or convincing one to come over with some concessions.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    That is surprising to me - but I don't follow it that closely. But it seems like the cases that make headlines are often 5-4 decisions.

That's why it's so important to replace Scalia with a conservative. The big cases are generally 5-4. Only 3 or 4 of those per year though.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    According to the legal analysis I listened to last night, a 4-4 SCOTUS tie would result in the lower court decision standing AND becoming the law of the land.

As I understand it, a 4-4 tie would default to the lower court decision that would only then apply to the immediate plaintiffs, and would not be citable as precedent.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    ^^^ This, but important cases may be reargued.

Volokh Has something to say about it too ...
    ‘Tie votes will lead to reargument, not affirmance’

yeah, well, he was quoting Tom Goldstein over at SCOTUSblog. Tom wrote that there was chance that new Justice would be appointed and confirmed by the start of the new term and thus there was reason to think reargument might be appropriate. I don't know what Tom is smoking, but that ain't happening. Maybe a new Justice by this time next year. The court won't order reargument without a new justice -- no point.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    How many cases could they possibly rehear anyway? I don't see them effectively doubling their docket by rehearing all the close case and hearing all the new ones. I just see a lot of cert denial in the future.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Petition http://blog.californiarighttocarry....w-v-Malloy-SCOTUS-Petition-as-filed-CCDL1.pdf
    Second Amendment Coalition amicus http://blog.californiarighttocarry....s/2016/04/Shew-v.-Malloy-SAC-Amicus-Brief.pdf
    CT's response http://blog.californiarighttocarry....y-Respondents-Opposition-to-Cert-Petition.pdf
    Docket http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docketfiles/15-1030.htm

With plaintiff's reply any day now, they might get to one of the last conferences this term. Last one is June 23. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets held until the big conference in the Fall though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom