• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    AT work its a little slow so I figured I would do some searching.

If you have a barrel crowned say for target shooting. Does it effect the longevity for a SHTF scenario ?

Read somewhere the barrel should be heat treated so under continuous fire it doesn't stress the muzzle. Any truth ?

I figured I'd ask my fellow forum brothers.

Calling Dr. Clandestine

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Having the barrel recrowned won't affect the heat treat--and shouldn't impact the longevity of the gun in any way. There is a remote possibility recrowning might open up the chrome around the inside of the muzzle to flaking, which would be bad. I've seen barrels with flaking crome at the crown that are otherwise NIB, but if it was a good chrome job it should be fine.

Better ammo is a HUGE upgrade to accuracy, frankly cheap milsurp ammo plus the poor sight radius are the primary reasons AKs group loosely. You will be better served by mounting a rear peep and using brass-cased Yugo (or good domestic ammo). The crown is only going to help if it's damaged to begin with.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Thanks Rob, I was just curious, Arsenal built SGL 20, and 21. I like the golden tiger ammo, seems a bit cleaner and accurate over wolf. I could always use whatever helps.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Golden Tiger is the winner for current foreign production. For milsurp, try some brass-cased Yugo (which is corrosive, but cheap and loaded consistently). My rifles seem to like it. I really haven't bothered with US 7.62 ammo but others have noticed tighter groups.

My experience with accuracy is that the only AKs that do better overall are the RPK-based ones (particularly VEPRs) with thicker barrels, trunnions, and receivers. Yugos have some of these features and can be better than your average bear. Milled is generally no better than stamped. A lot of it seems to be luck of the draw, honestly, as any two AKs rolling off the assembly line will shoot to different MOA even though they are "identical". I suspect little variations in build.. a tighter rivet here, and odd fit there, contribute to each guns performance. Even WASRs have been known to shoot close to MOA but this is most definitely the exception, not the norm.

I'd say for your mostly Russian-build AKs recrowning would be a waste of time. But I've never had it done to any of mine and would love to see if it made a difference.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    My best shooter is a Lancaster replacement, milled receiver, and shoots real nice, 2nd would be the SGL 20 the early one without the bayo lug.
    I fell in love with the Arsenal Classic SA m7, Milled receiver, heavy barrel, just can't scrape the cash together.
    Love the Red Jacket Vepr Atlantic has,probably a wait for that though.

Thanks for your input Rob ,I normally read alot of your posts on The AK Forum.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Want a tack driver buy an AR or bolt action It's an AK Maybe I got lucky my AK shoots tight groups but it's 5.45x39

AK rifles are accurate little devils...that misconception needs to be put to rest. (not aiming this post directly at you, just quoting for reference)

saiga 308
    308_target_9-22-09.jpg

308_saiga_rem150psp.jpg

saiga 223
    3shot_group_closer2.jpg

vern_3shotGroup.jpg

saiga_223_target-7-18-09.jpg

the problem with the 7.62x39 AKs is the rifling twist and super light barrel...but even with the light barrel you can still get 1 MOA out of them with the proper bullet weight (150+ Grs).

just my .02...take it or leave it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom