Crossbow Rail Lube - commercial, vaseline, chapstick, or beeswax?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    Lee Up at Microtech turned me on to a Odorless gun oil, asme as tenpoint oil , but no smell.Thats what i am using this year.
    JW

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I have my first bow on the way (from Midway). I ordered some lube with it. How much and how often should it be applied?
    I've got a Ten-Point crossbow and this is what they recommend:

Use a high quality barrel or rail lubricant such as TenPoint Crossbow Technologies Flight Rail / Trigger Lube (HCA-111) or Microlon’s® Precision Oiler (HCA-11106) to increase arrow speed, reduce friction and extend the life of your center serving. Its unique metal penetrating characteristics provide optimum lubrication without an oily or greasy film.

To lubricate your flight rail, apply a drop of lube on each side of the rail, then spread the lube the length of the barrel with your finger. Applying the flight rail lubricant approximately every 75 to 100 shots, or Microlon’s® Precision Oiler every 150 to 200 shots, should be adequate (photo 1).

Note: Applying too much rail lube can break down your string serving (and the glue on the claw’s felt pad if the crossbow has an ACUdraw unit). Also regularly apply a drop of lube to your wheels/cams and axles. Do not use heavy oil, grease or substances similar to petroleum jelly to lubricate your crossbow parts because they will attract dust and grit and will work their way into your trigger housing making it sluggish and perhaps inoperable in cold weather.​

Source: http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/downloads/manuals/General_Manual.pdf

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I use microlon oil (it is the same as what tenpoint uses) and I put a few drops along the rails every 100 shot or so.

Do not use anything that will hole or attract dirt this will damage the string and rails very quickly

BTW chapstick and rail lube is not the same thing.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Chap stick tastes better--the guys on the CrowbowNation forum seem to like Jigaloo which is a silicone based lube in a spray can. I have used Jigaloo on bicycle parts and on handguns and shotguns and it is very slick stuff and doesnt seem to hurt any thing- just spray a little on your fingertip and wipe it down the rail- it drys and stays slick. Dont overthink this stuff too much, all you are trying to do is cut friction and even K-Y or spit would work in a pinch.Traditional archers usually have a lump of beeswax laying around and that would work fine too - a lump seems to last forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom