• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    My son just took and passed Hunters Ed this weekend and is excited to rifle hunt. Unfortunately that will only give him an opportunity to hunt a couple weeks, so I asked if he would be interested in bow hunting. It's a little late to expect him to become proficient with a bow so I'm most likely looking for a crossbow but would like suggestions for both. 13 years old, 5'2 and on the stronger side. I might buy a used bow but is 40lb draw pushing it? As far as crossbow, I don't want to spend a lot of money but the cheaper models have reviews of the arms breaking while drawn back during a hunt. Dont want to go above $500.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve never owned a crossbow so no help other than my friend started his kid on one early , around eight and obviously he can use it as he grows. The same is true for compound bows with a very wide range of adjustability. On the compound you just need to get him to a store and see if he can pull the state minimum poundage which I believe you are correct at 40 lbs.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Crossbows these days are incredibly accurate with little practice. Was amazed with the new Tenpoint Oracle X Crossbow with the Garmin range scope. The art of getting in close without being detected is still key though with archery hunting.

TenPoint Flatline 460 Oracle X Crossbow - 460 FPS - Fastest Compact Crossbow on The Market - Includes Burris Oracle X Rangefinding Sc... https://a.co/d/2jTQQlt

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I'd get him a compound bow.
    With release aids these days and a mid tier package bow coupled with decent arrows he would pick it right up and become proficient in about a day I bet.
    Learning the skills to manage a bow, maintain it and grow with the sport would be a lifetime endeavor and much more interesting over the long run.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd get him a compound bow.
    With release aids these days and a mid tier package bow coupled with decent arrows he would pick it right up and become proficient in about a day I bet.
    Learning the skills to manage a bow, maintain it and grow with the sport would be a lifetime endeavor and much more interesting over the long run.
    I agree.

OP, how old/big is your son? If you are able to get him started now with a compound bow, he could be proficient enough to shoot a living deer within a month at least.
    My 2cents

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I agree.

OP, how old/big is your son? If you are able to get him started now with a compound bow, he could be proficient enough to shoot a living deer within a month at least.
    My 2cents
    Not trying to be funny and I’m no grammar freak but what exactly did you mean by a living deer? As opposed to a dead deer?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not trying to be funny and I’m no grammar freak but what exactly did you mean by a living deer? As opposed to a dead deer?
    Not a problem, Lol. There is a huge difference between shooting at an excelsior bale and a live, walking deer for a beginner.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You can get a decent crossbow for $300 or so---it need not be too complicated---my first crossbow had a 2 pin sight with a peep----killed a bunch of deer with it. Bear Vast is a ready to hunt adjustable draw weight compound that you can also pick up for about $300--seen at Walmart or online

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I'd go compound. I can't buy a crossbow yet because I haven't killed enough deer with my compound to go to the next level. Compounds will teach you the fundamentals. My dad has a crossbow because his shoulders can't draw a 70# compound anymore. I need to dust mine off.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Weapon choice in my opinion is secondary to learning how to hunt in the first place. Compound or any vertical bow is way more efficient than a crossbow for actually applying its use in the field.
    Crossbows are accurate, dependable and safe for sure however theirs much more vested satisfaction in a challenge rather than just punching a tag.
    Just for carry into the field a regular bow beats a cross bow hands down.
    Pulling one up into stand, working your way through a cut over, or attempting a spot stalk, a vertical bow is the one to have.
    The biggest advantage for a cross bow is you don’t have to practice.
    Which is ok too if you cannot manage the time necessary to be prepared but taking game is more than just that.
    I’m not sure if I consider a crossbow actually archery or the makings for an actual seasoned hunter.
    With a vertical bow, a second shot is sometimes often possible if the first is not to the mark.
    Additionally no one hunts rabbit ducks and geese or other small game with a crossbow that I’m aware of.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Vertical bows are inherently quieter than Xbows as well. That counts when.it comes to longer shots, in many cases.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I vote either or. He will probably want to go compound as his friends would likely end up the same way. Ask his opinion and consider the what the friends would do also to avoid get a $400 setup he won't want because his friends use a different type.

From what outrider said, With that learning how to draw on a deer is most of the learning curve. We put up a two man stand and I sat in it with my daughter and had her fake draw on buttons and spikes. I expanded how you draw when they look the other way, head behind a tree and so on. I would say "Stand up now" "draw" "pretend to shoot and lower the string." She killed her first doe two weeks later and said it helped immensely from getting busted. She was hunting a bean field and moved and drew when the doe turned away or stuck her head in the beans. I couldn't even understand her on the phone when she called. :D most all that is avoided with a crossbow. Just slowly raise, point and shoot.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I agree.

My 2cents
    Thanks for the input. He’s a strong 13yo. I have a lead on a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro I’m following. That way we can drop it down a 30lb draw which I think is the legal limit. I have the same bow and haven’t had any complaints and he’s shot it before.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Vertical bows are inherently quieter than Xbows as well. That counts when.it comes to longer shots, in many cases.

I find with those plastic vanes they’ll hear it coming and jump the string sometimes.
    I try as best I can to get them in close but you know how it is in the real world.
    Sometimes they’ll just stand there and not hear a dam thing especially if it’s a little windy.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I find with those plastic vanes they’ll hear it coming and jump the string sometimes.
    I try as best I can to get them in close but you know how it is in the real world.
    Sometimes they’ll just stand there and not hear a dam thing especially if it’s a little windy.
    Shot at a deer and used the wrong pin. The arrow stuck in the ground just passed him under his legs. He looked at it and just stood there long enough for me to miss a second time, that one hit a log and he took off. I was not happy with myself, nerves got the better of me.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Shot at a deer and used the wrong pin. The arrow stuck in the ground just passed him under his legs. He looked at it and just stood there long enough for me to miss a second time, that one hit a log and he took off. I was not happy with myself, nerves got the better of me.
    Nerves happen to me all the time when bow hunting.
    That’s why I do it I guess.
    I bow shot my first deer, a buck in the Pocomoke forest when I was 12 years old.
    I’m still shake when I think about it and it was a perfect shot.
    I missed more trophy bucks from target panic and making amateur mistakes than I bet most people saw in the woods.
    A four pointer from a stand made out of one piece of plywood wedged in between some cedar trees.
    All my boys shot a recurve before they graduated to a compound since they were small as could be.
    No way would I start them on a crossbow but were lucky enough to always have a place to shoot practice, learn and become disciplined archers.
    Some may not have that luxury in todays climate I get it but that’s how we live and why we do around here.
    A 12 yo should be able to draw and shoot a 50 lb recurve and surely manage a 55 lb compound with 60% let off if they want to bad enough and they’re really ready.
    Modern equipment best thing is carbon fiber arrows.
    Lol my bow now may be 50 lbs if I’m lucky but I know one thing when it counts it counts and all that other happy horse Puck don’t mean doodly as long as the limb bolts don’t back out the last 1/4 turn when it comes to making kill shots.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Nerves happen to me all the time when bow hunting.
    That’s why I do it I guess.
    I bow shot my first deer, a buck in the Pocomoke forest when I was 12 years old.
    I’m still shake when I think about it and it was a perfect shot.
    I missed more trophy bucks from target panic and making amateur mistakes than I bet most people saw in the woods.
    A four pointer from a stand made out of one piece of plywood wedged in between some cedar trees.
    All my boys shot a recurve before they graduated to a compound since they were small as could be.
    No way would I start them on a crossbow but were lucky enough to always have a place to shoot practice, learn and become disciplined archers.
    Some may not have that luxury in todays climate I get it but that’s how we live and why we do around here.
    A 12 yo should be able to draw and shoot a 50 lb recurve and surely manage a 55 lb compound with 60% let off if they want to bad enough and they’re really ready.
    Modern equipment best thing is carbon fiber arrows.
    Lol my bow now may be 50 lbs if I’m lucky but I know one thing when it counts it counts and all that other happy horse Puck don’t mean doodly as long as the limb bolts don’t back out the last 1/4 turn when it comes to making kill shots.
    I shoot a 70# compound bow with aluminum arrows. It's an old Martin Jaguar that I've had since I was 16. Only hunted with it a dozen times or so. With my schedule now I mostly do firearms season and only go two times. I still have the target I used to practice with. I've replaced the foam and taped up the hole in the middle. My dad used to get bails of hay that we would use before I got the portable foam target.

Here is a shot I did at about 25-30yds. I need to get it restrung and sighted in again. Is Macrotech any good? There is one close to me. I could always stop at Shore Sportsman on my way through Easton also. Maybe I'll get some new arrows. Just need the weight of the practice arrows and the broadheads the same.

IMG_0088.JPG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I would go see that guy at Winks in Princess Anne.
    He did a good job recabling the entry level Bear that I shoot now but the youngins say he’s ok and they only fool with top tier equipment. But they’re critical too because they so nuts about archery hunting.
    That place next to 7 eleven in Grasonville or Chester sold inferior equipment to one of the youngins when he came home from deployment one time and overcharged him.
    I don’t have any stomach for that bunch and wouldn’t recommend them to anyone as far as I know any longer.
    There’s someone nearby that does pro work on the mid shore I just can’t remember right now but can find out.
    A long long time ago macro tech on Ritchie hwy Baltimore used to make arrows for me but I don’t shoot to the same extent anymore.
    They had a good tech but that was probably late nineties maybe or maybe even earlier.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shoot a 70# compound bow with aluminum arrows. It's an old Martin Jaguar that I've had since I was 16. Only hunted with it a dozen times or so. With my schedule now I mostly do firearms season and only go two times. I still have the target I used to practice with. I've replaced the foam and taped up the hole in the middle. My dad used to get bails of hay that we would use before I got the portable foam target.

Here is a shot I did at about 25-30yds. I need to get it restrung and sighted in again. Is Macrotech any good? There is one close to me. I could always stop at Shore Sportsman on my way through Easton also. Maybe I'll get some new arrows. Just need the weight of the practice arrows and the broadheads the same.

View attachment 428002
    I've got an 80-90# Martin Black Ram at home. No way I would even attempt to draw it back these days.

I was bow hunting one morning in one of my best trees. I shot and killed two foxes that morning. I was dead on. Eventually, a few does came down the hill to me, fed and bedded near my stand. Late morning, a half decent 8 point strolled into the kill zone. As I drew back, I grunted him to a stop, only, I grunted too soon(still finishing my draw). He looked right up at me and caught my movement. I let him settle down a bit and shot. My arrow skittered off his back as he dropped to load his legs to bound from the sound of my shot. He ran off about 40 yards, turned and stared back wondering, WTF was that? Then walked on off. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom