• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    i have never believed in these type of hunts. its not hunting, its just shooting. deer are so easy to kill in the wild i have no idea, other than antlers and maybe thats all there is to it, why some one would do that. disease aside its seems immoral to me.

thats just my 2 cents.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    i have never believed in these type of hunts. its not hunting, its just shooting. deer are so easy to kill in the wild i have no idea, other than antlers and maybe thats all there is to it, why some one would do that. disease aside its seems immoral to me.

thats just my 2 cents.

I don't have a problem with the practice of shooting deer inside a fence, just don't call it hunting. The article points to people trophy hunting inside these fenced in compounds, which seems idiotic because no one is impressed with a "trophy" that you bagged by paying some guy a thousand bucks to shoot. I guess you can lie to all of your friends and family and impress people on the internet with the amazing set of antlers you bought.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    I don't have a problem with the practice of shooting deer inside a fence, just don't call it hunting. The article points to people trophy hunting inside these fenced in compounds, which seems idiotic because no one is impressed with a "trophy" that you bagged by paying some guy a thousand bucks to shoot. I guess you can lie to all of your friends and family and impress people on the internet with the amazing set of antlers you bought.

Word..Let's just call it killing. For well over a thousand bucks, I just buy a steer from Bullocks and pop it in the freezer.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I don't know how to feel about it. I've been reading about some of the private land elk hunts in PA. They are fenced on mountain land. In my career I probably won't ever be able to hunt a wild elk in the west due to the timing of their season. So a closer hunt intrigues me.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    I don't know how to feel about it. I've been reading about some of the private land elk hunts in PA. They are fenced on mountain land. In my career I probably won't ever be able to hunt a wild elk in the west due to the timing of their season. So a closer hunt intrigues me.

I have a friend who guided for elk at a preserve in PA several years ago. He told me they only had bulls, so anything remotely sounding like a cow call brought them running. The outfitter also offered so called management hunts for whitetail. The sales pitch was for $1800-2000, you could come in and hunt the inferior bucks (120-130 class)from their herd. These deer were purchased for $500-600 and stocked just days prior to the hunts. They would give the hunters meat from does they shot earlier due to the tranquilizers used during transport still being in the bucks system.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Just don't whip out picture and brag about it like you accomplished some great feat and it's no big deal. It fits some peoples life styles and at least they are willing to fire a weapon and maybe even contribute to SFI or something. Not hunting,don't brag about it and I won't make fun of you for it. One of the reasons I don't watch hunting shows anymore.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

You can get different tags different times of the year. Some people do elk cows during the summer out here. Once I'm off my feet, my place will be open to MDS members.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It's not hunting, its farming. Cows, pigs, lambs, are all herded through chute right to the kill place. Here, you are pretending to give the animal a chance. Not really, but cows and pigs have about the same chance -zero.

Maybe your quibble is "this is not hunting." I agree. But to me this is the equivalent of going to a farm and saying I want to eat that steer. Then bragging about what a great steer you picked out.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Friend of mine went on a high fence hunt a couple years ago and shot a 150 class deer. He said that they put a guide in the stand with him and as two other guy push bucks past the stand, the guy with him told him which ones he could shoot for the price that was paid. I feel sorry for the person that thinks that is hunting.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    You can get different tags different times of the year. Some people do elk cows during the summer out here. Once I'm off my feet, my place will be open to MDS members.

That's good to know. Seems like everywhere I have looked the season is early to mid-fall, smack in the middle of the school year.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    It's not hunting, its farming. Cows, pigs, lambs, are all herded through chute right to the kill place. Here, you are pretending to give the animal a chance. Not really, but cows and pigs have about the same chance -zero.

Maybe your quibble is "this is not hunting." I agree. But to me this is the equivalent of going to a farm and saying I want to eat that steer. Then bragging about what a great steer you picked out.

i agree completely!

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    What, are you Linda Richman now? :D

:lol:

It think the whole thing is silly for this area other maybe taking kids and disabled out. Even then, a kid/disabled should get to experience that hunting is not totally about getting a trophy kill or whatever it is people go to tall fence ranches for. There are so many deer in the mid-atlantic, is it really that hard? Out west where one really has to work hard to tag a deer...maybe but never for me.
    I like to hunt, not harvest wild acting farm animals. The act is just an elaborate way to slaughter animals. It doesn't surprise me that some disease issues come up in a penned in deer population. Thats why modern farming uses antibiotics on their livestock. Getting away from antibiotics, growth hormones, etc... without breaking the bank at "Whole Paycheck" is one of the central reasons I hunt. This has potential to defeat that point.
    Excuse me, I'm going to go listen to Babs now.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    That's good to know. Seems like everywhere I have looked the season is early to mid-fall, smack in the middle of the school year.

That being said...elk is NOT a solo hunt. Out here to get elk you need a few friends willing to hike in the several miles with you, help you cut it up after you shoot it, and hump a few hundreds pounds of meat/trophy back. It is not anything like this deer stand "hunting" in MD. But processing fees are less out here. A guy down in CS does a full grown cow for $90 and does a damn good job.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Not "hunting", particularly if the fenced area is a small and/or the animals are tame.

More like shopping with a gun ... Definitely not something to brag about.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    My wife and I use to do these "hunts" about twice a year. We called it going to the grocery store. It's not hunting its shooting but It always made for a nice weekend in the mountains. We shot Fallow deer, whitetail, axis, rams,hogs,bison,elk. the whole thing is only what you make out of it, if you want to drive two hours spend a few days in the beautful mountains and come home with a cooler full of good meat then go for it. If you think you are going on a grand safari stalking elk in the wild then you don't get it. Also if you go home and tell your buddies you took the animal in a fair chase hunt you are a douchewaffle!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom