• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    According to CBS News, he's going to sign the bill today at 3pm.

I only wish it took effect immediately, not in 60 days.

It is interesting that one of the most anti gun presents will be signing a pro-2A law.

In one way, it is bad for us. We have been fighting to portray him as anti-gun, and now he signs the bill. While it helps the cause overall, it will be a powerful talking point used to show Obama isn't as anti-gun as people made him out to be.

It also might confirm to moderates that he's willing to accept compromises on RKBA.

While I def am very happy he's signing it, I just thought that was an interesting side effect.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    According to CBS News, he's going to sign the bill today at 3pm.

I only wish it took effect immediately, not in 60 days.

It is interesting that one of the most anti gun presents will be signing a pro-2A law.

In one way, it is bad for us. We have been fighting to portray him as anti-gun, and now he signs the bill. While it helps the cause overall, it will be a powerful talking point used to show Obama isn't as anti-gun as people made him out to be.

It also might confirm to moderates that he's willing to accept compromises on RKBA.

While I def am very happy he's signing it, I just thought that was an interesting side effect.

Sure, it might be bad for us in the way how it disarms some of our arguments against him, but the excellent part about it is if they try to paint him as being a gun moderate because of this it will put another nail in the coffin of the antis like the Miami police chief ******* and his anti gun mayor, Paul Helmke and the Brady Campaign, and Carrolynn McCarthy. It might greatly hinder their chances of getting support for an AW ban.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just heard that because this was introduced in this particular bill it will not go into effect until sometime next year... And that they are working to have it put into another bill so it would go into effect sooner...

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    The senate just passed the credit card bill and if i remember right didnt they tack on an amendment to bring back the carry in parks with it?

Don't carry in a national park this weekend! I just got a $75 fine at Greenridge State park for having a loaded weapon on a campsite. I wasn't carrying it on my person, but DNR pulled up to my site and it was sitting out on a table. They ran a check on me and issued me the citation on the spot. Sucks, but at least they didn't take my XDM9 with them.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    House passed it clean, I thought. That puts him in the position of signing it or not.

http://www.NRAILA.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=12506

Affirmative! From GOA

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Good news!

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill today that included an amendment to repeal the gun ban on National Park Service (NPS) land and wildlife refuges.

The amendment, sponsored by Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) and attached to a credit card industry reform bill, passed the House overwhelmingly by a vote of 279-147.

http://gunowners.org/a052009.htm

It is expected that Obama will sign it because he wants the credit card piece so badly. Remains to be seen but.....:party29:

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Don't carry in a national park this weekend! I just got a $75 fine at Greenridge State park for having a loaded weapon on a campsite. I wasn't carrying it on my person, but DNR pulled up to my site and it was sitting out on a table. They ran a check on me and issued me the citation on the spot. Sucks, but at least they didn't take my XDM9 with them.

Wow. I used to camp at greenridge all of the time, and I don't think I ever saw a DNR in the whole place, except when we used to go visit the ranger's station. Of course, back then, you didn't have to pay to camp there either. Bill's Place still there?

MH

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I was there camping a month or so ago and the rangers showed up, I don't think they were looking for guns but we had some, they were all properly stored of course so no problem. :thumbsup: I think they were more checking to make sure the payment for the site and the number of people was right. But yes that was the first time I'd ever seen them there also.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    So lemme ask, as I must be missing the message that indicates what the NP law is about:

What's the big deal with the NPS and guns?

I thought you could bring firearms in NPS sites... and that they simply restricted firearms in some areas of the parks?

I remember going to Alaska and Denali only had restrictions in the entrance area of the park. Otherwise, you could take your guns with you... certainly rifles.

82ndShooter

Nov 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Wow. I used to camp at greenridge all of the time, and I don't think I ever saw a DNR in the whole place, except when we used to go visit the ranger's station. Of course, back then, you didn't have to pay to camp there either. Bill's Place still there?

MH

I've been camping here for years and this is the first time I've ever seen DNR here. Yes, Bill's Place is still here too! $2.00 Jack & cokes all day long!

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    We used to go there, and get drafts for 60 cents, and hamburgers for 25 cents. This was back in the late 80's
    Closed the place many times, with Bill saying "come'n guys, I want to go to bed"
    MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom